Do you use the bump and run?

My stock shot I would play normally is 3:2 ratio or so. So 30 feet in the air and it will run out 20 feet. I stay away from fun looking flops when I have green to work with. My biggest miss on the 3:2 shot is hitting it too high on the face causing it to not roll out enough.

I actually have not since coming back from my break and now that you posted this I think I have realized what the hell has been "off" with my short game.

My stock shot I would play normally is 3:2 ratio or so. So 30 feet in the air and it will run out 20 feet. I stay away from fun looking flops when I have green to work with. My biggest miss on the 3:2 shot is hitting it too high on the face causing it to not roll out enough.

Well, you are nearly playing bump and run shots now. I expect that if you start playing that shot with 20 feet in the air and 30 feet of roll you will be consistently closer to the hole. Even better yet would be 10 to 15 feet of carry with 35 to 40 feet of bounce and roll. Once you try playing these shots with a less lofted club (or delofting a wedge at address) you will find that your "high on the club face" shot distance inconsistency is gone.
The big benefit to playing lower lofted bump and run shots is that one does not have to be anywhere near as precise with their strike as does one playing a lofted trajectory shot. A bump and run can be struck a little thin or a little heavy yet still end up next to the hole; the lack of loft equals forgiveness.

I use bump and run almost exclusively. I don't try anything else unless I absolutely have to. My logic is that the more the ball is on the ground, the less that can go wrong. My son is just the opposite. He could be 1 inch off the green and won't even consider a putt. To each his own, we both play to our strengths. Although I can't say - they might be strengths only because those are the shots we play/practice all the time.

Chip, bump and run, same thing to me.

I use it when the lie calls for it, I'm a firm believer in keeping the ball on the ground as much as possible for greater accuracy.

But Long Island courses frequently don't ask for much chipping, deep rough and elevated greens make lobs and pitching far more common.

...so what about you thp? Do you play the bump and run as a regular part of your arsenal? If not, why?

Probably not as much as I should. About the only time I'll go for it without debate is if the ball is 2-3 yards off the green and I have a huge chunk of green to work with. In that situation, I grab the 4h and basically "putt" it. I try to carry it just onto the green and let it roll the rest of the way.

I find the BnR very effective especially out here in Az with hard fairways and hard greens. I'll use it more often than anything else as long as there's no obstacle between my ball and the cup. We generally see a fair bit of roll out even with higher shots so why not get the ball rolling as soon as possible to take some of the guesswork out of it?

I tried to use it a lot more this year. When I remembered to do it, the scoring was good. When I tried fancier stuff, not so good.

I use the bump and run every chance I get!
Usually use PW or GW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to often, now just occasionally.

I've gotten away from it because even though my course looks receptive to running shots up to greens, truth they tend to grab just short of the surface making most attempts pretty darn unpredictable.

I used to use it all the time around the greens before I took many years off. Now I do use it still but only once in awhile.

Just don't play it enough. I had gone to it more and more recently but still not enough.

Two changes to my playing style have mostly stopped the meteoric rise of my handicap.
1) Changed my course management so as to eliminate anything other than full swing 5i-PW approaches.
2) If #1 fails, using the bump and run if possible.

I absolutely intend to use it as a staple in my arsenal...but I seem to forget about it for weeks or months at a time, which is bizarre. But maybe that's just because I've been in the rough more than the fringe lately. :D

One of my favorite things to do is tell newbies about that option and see their brains explode. LOL

It has become my prefered method. As a High cap player my bad shots are less damaging keeping on the ground or Low usually.

The bump and run is my go to anytime I have a lie that is bump & run friendly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it from time to time and honestly, not as much as I used to.
I don't practice it enough to make a go to shot for me.

I used it all the time a few years ago and I've been trying to get back to it this year. It's tough to practice around here though.

Although I have started pitching the ball more often, I am still a firm believer of getting the ball rolling on the green as soon as possible.

Some will say there is a difference between a bump and run and a chip, but I am not one of them.

Although I have started pitching the ball more often, I am still a firm believer of getting the ball rolling on the green as soon as possible.

Some will say there is a difference between a bump and run and a chip, but I am not one of them.

I think they’re in the same family, but a bump and run is from farther out, like 5+ yards off the green would be a bump and run vs a chip.

Am I way off base there?

I think they’re in the same family, but a bump and run is from farther out, like 5+ yards off the green would be a bump and run vs a chip.

Am I way off base there?

I think people will say a bump and run is a low shot that bumps into a hill on the green. But to me it's a chip, regardless of a hill or not.

And I will chip from many many yards off the green, so distance really doesn't define it to me.

I think people will say a bump and run is a low shot that bumps into a hill on the green. But to me it's a chip, regardless of a hill or not.

And I will chip from many many yards off the green, so distance really doesn't define it to me.

Do you chip with multiple clubs?

I’ve used just about every club in my bag for chipping , but this year I’ve been more comfortable with my 50* so it’s been my go to for any shot where I want some roll on the chip.

Do you chip with multiple clubs?

I’ve used just about every club in my bag for chipping , but this year I’ve been more comfortable with my 50* so it’s been my go to for any shot where I want some roll on the chip.

I chip with whatever will get me a couple of yards onto the green and roll out to the hole (hopefully to the hole). Anywhere from a hybrid to a PW. I never seem to chip with my Gap wedge. Firm believer in one swing, many clubs. I am not good enough to swing one club many different ways.

yes, I definitely use it. Now am I good at it, that's a different story.

I chip with whatever will get me a couple of yards onto the green and roll out to the hole (hopefully to the hole). Anywhere from a hybrid to a PW. I never seem to chip with my Gap wedge. Firm believer in one swing, many clubs. I am not good enough to swing one club many different ways.

That’s a solid theory. I’m going to give that a try over the next couple months.

Back