Do You Want to Get Better?

Yes I’m trying to get better. I’m playing more often but need to spend more time on the range, in lessons, and at the short game practice area.

I always want to get better… sure better scores would be great but really want to improve my attitude and focus on the course

Of course I want to get better but I also don’t really have the time or funding to do so right now. I’m also not unhappy with my game I just wish I were more consistent. It’s frustrating to shoot 81 one day and 96 the next. As soon as I retire I will find a club to join and play considerably more.

Badly. I'm taking lessons, working on putting and potentially a putter fitting, working on partial wedges and potentially a wedge fitting, and a swing tweak to get the arms and shoulders caught up to my hip turn. Planning on some focused indoor time this winter.

I want to get better and am committed. I bought a new net and mat for the backyard, tripod video myself almost daily, send those videos to a friend as well as a coach that I paid for for 30 days. I practice chipping and putting on some days that I'm not playing, golf 2-3 times a week. Self-analyze, read books, meditate and workout, and watch YouTube videos. I am currently a student of the game, and have lowered my handicap 5 strokes in the last 2 months.

I do, very much, want to get better. Always have. But my lower back won't have practice.

Used to be a range rat when younger. I have a Skytrak now and hitting net on the patio. But I haven't used the Skytrak in many months and sparingly when I did. When I put too much repetitive stress on the back, bad things happen. Whether in the moment or residual complications, problems invariably arise. And that gravely affects play.

So, my improvement is sought on the course during play. I've become very analytical as to my swing and its faults. Because I can't decipher things dynamically wrt practice, I will mentally review, contemplate, and theorize. Then try to employ on the course. Trial and error.

Keep the promising, discard the "what in the heck was I thinkings."

yes!!!

I do want to get better, but at my age I’m comfortable with my game. My kids play and take lessons so I invest in that. It means more to me to watch them getting better and having fun.

Yes I’d say I want to get better but understand that I am not going to wake up in the morning and all of a sudden be better. I need to be able to dedicate the time to my areas that need the most improvement. The last 3-4 years have been brutal with minimum if any spare time, so practicing, despite my great intentions at the beginning of each year, it’s just not worked out.

Luckily, in a few areas of my game, equipment advances have kept me relatively flat offsetting other areas where I have seen a drop off in performance.

I really hope in the next year in my final year of full-time work before I retire and hiring some more personnel I will be able to back off on my work commitments so I can actually enjoy life little bit. Plus I am making a couple of equipment changes in 2024 putting my ego aside that I believe will make the task at hand easier and more forgiving.

In retrospect , understanding I am deep in the back 9 of my golf career, I guess my long-term goal is just to try to remain at where I’m at while tidying up a few frustrating areas of my game that at one time were very strong.

Of course I want to get better but I also don’t really have the time or funding to do so right now. I’m also not unhappy with my game I just wish I were more consistent. It’s frustrating to shoot 81 one day and 96 the next. As soon as I retire I will find a club to join and play considerably more.
Now that you got the putter from @Hawk I think 81 is much more likely!!

I definitely want to get better, at least more consistent. However, at my age, I recognize that I am not willing to put in the time and effort to do so.

I want to get better, but I don't want to make golf a race to excellence with a bunch of goals. The rest of my life has enough of that. Golf is for fun, not for more pressure and frustration.

An update after my GolfTec swing evaluation.

The instructor ran through my swing, video'd me from the front and DTL, and showed me the horrible truth of my swing, LOL. After looking at the video and the SkyTrak numbers (weirdly, some were pretty good), he suggested I change my grip from what I thought was neutral (which, in the video it showed was a very weak left hand grip) and go a lot stronger. I made the adjustment, and it was a HUGE difference maker. To be honest, I was shocked how much it affected the other parts of the swing "down the chain" so to speak. All the measurements of body angles, swing path and clubface direction jumped from pretty bad, to pretty good. Once again, when he showed me the before and after videos, I was shocked. A real difference was visible.

All in all, along with some of the swing drills he had me do in the studio, I am very pleased with the results. Well, the results last night, to clarify. I know a lot of you know me by my griping about being such a short knocker, and when I was doing the first few swings to be recorded, I hit the 7-iron best to a 90 yard distance. After the changes, the best 7-iron I hit was a 138 with a slight draw. Jaw-dropping.

Ugh. I’m in between right now.

I know for a fact that if I would work, I could get to plus, and thrive there with the best golf of my life.

But, I know pretty solid golf now, and it’s way less stressful on my mind and body.

That’s tough.

I would love to.But the price of a round of golf is pretty costly on the weekends.A round for me and my wife total on the weekends is easily a $150-$200 day.This would include range balls and golf.Why we only play 10-12 rounds a year together.So for us.. it’s the financial obligation

I am generally OK with the level of better that comes with playing a lot. I'll hit the range and a lesson here and there, but have never been a "drill" practice guy.

Do I want to get better at Golf? Yes would be the answer. However, I know longer have the desire to put in the amount of work it requires to get better at this game. So in reality the true answer to do I want to get better at golf is No.

I want to get better but I have learned to accept where I am in the moment but work on things I need to improve off the course.

I took up golf late in life and fell in love with the sport. All I wanted was to become a bogey golfer so I wasn't getting two shots on holes. Then when I became a bogey golfer I figured 12/13/14 was a good mark to get to so I was playing a few holes the way they were intended. My improvement all came from just playing regularly.

Then I got to 10 and my new aim was to be a single figure golfer.

But I've got to be honest with myself and say I'm happy to be around 10. It's decent golf and to go any lower will require effort that will take me away from just playing. I love playing so I don't see myself investing time and money in something I'll enjoy less.

Last edited:
Yes, I have tried hard in the past with limited success.

Been working on my short game especially putting while also trying to various types of shots

I absolutely do want to get better. I've spent at least the same amount of time on the range this season as on the course. And I think that's been the key to getting better.

And not just pounding balls. Filming myself, working on the things I got from lessons, spending time chipping and in the bunker. The thing I've done least is putting practice, and that's shown this year.

Definitely not perfectly happy. Always striving to improve and get better.

Would be nice but not realistic at my age. Being able to play and maintaining are more realistic now, even maintaining might not be realistic. Started playing old but have played a lot. Averaged 80’s for a couple of years, last few years 85-95 has been my normal range but might have to accept that 90-100 could be the new normal. Do I want to get better, yes, but.

Yes. Long story short, I broke 90 once, in 2016. Then lost half my vision and took 5 years off from golf. It’d mean a lot, personally, to set a PR today as a prove it to myself type thing. Also because getting to a certain level almost feels like a different sport in a way; and it’s been a long road back.

Did a 10-pack lesson with GolfTec before the spring of 2022 and have tried to carry over and work on everything from them. Because GolfTec is awesome, they sent me a free 30-min lesson that I’ll actually be using tomorrow to try to work on my driver swing, which has been simply unusable.

And I think leaning into data better helps to understand what’s going on and where the most work is needed

Back