Does golf really need a world ranking system?

Do golfers need to be ranked?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
That’s exactly what I’m thinking. Math will fix what politics screws up.

The GHIN system utilized in GB&I has a component which has a daily stroke change part. ie Ya play in 30mph wind they add 2 strokes to the rating. It's not hole by hole just aggregate in total. And always a full stroke count. ie 1,2,3 etc
My guess is the difference between 100 in world and 1000 in world would be hundreths on the handicap. All these guys are plus 5 and higher.

That would certainly be a factor, you could include rain and temperature as well. The “course variable” or whatever it may be, would be consistent. There’s still going to be some subjectivity to it but the less the better. Run it out as many decimal places as needed and let the numbers do the work.

its quite alarming how many golf fans dont truly understand why the owgr exists and what tour it serves.

Every other sport, be it a team sport or individual, has some type of ranking system, so golf probably should too. The only caveat is that it should include ALL professional golfers.

Edited to add: Why base rankings based on who they are playing against? Isn't golf you against the course? So why not use some type of handicap system like GHIN which is course-based, not competition-based?
You are playing against the golf course but you are also playing against the other players. A Tour player could shoot -16 in a tournament two years in a row and win one year and just be top 5-10 the next year because the other players are playing better. A player will play a course differently if he's leading by 3 going into the final round than if he's trailing by 3.

You are playing against the golf course but you are also playing against the other players. A Tour player could shoot -16 in a tournament two years in a row and win one year and just be top 5-10 the next year because the other players are playing better. A player will play a course differently if he's leading by 3 going into the final round than if he's trailing by 3.
You play the course, your score is then compared with other players. Match play being an exception.

You play against other players in football, basketball, tennis, etc as there is actually interaction with them.

You play the course, your score is then compared with other players. Match play being an exception.

You play against other players in football, basketball, tennis, etc as there is actually interaction with them.
A race car driver driver drives the track to see if he's faster than others. But it's also a race so he is racing against them and it brings in other variables other than just how fast he can go. Same with a golf tournament. Players won't play the same way as their standing on the leaderboard changes. Hypothetically, if you could have each person play by themselves and scores weren't turned in until the end of all four rounds then they would probably play differently than they do. They probably wouldn't try going for a par 5 in two if they had a questionable lie or it was quite risky. In a tournament though and they are down by two shots with 3 holes to go then they might take that risk trying to catch the leader. So while I agree that they are playing the course, they are also playing against each other.

To a point yes, but the other sports aren’t individual like golf. Auto racing is somewhat similar in that the front runner stays just far enough ahead but necessarily take the extra risk. There’s the run at fastest lap and qualifying itself can be as exciting as the race. At the end it’s time against the track and beating everyone else.

What about other “world wide” sports that rank? Track & Field comes to mind but I don’t know much about it. I’m not much of a sports guy in general so will defer.

Back