Does golf really need a world ranking system?

Do golfers need to be ranked?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Bosco...

JB Cobb III told me to do it.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12’ish
What’s your take? Seems useless anyway.

Simple and short answer. YES.

I don't really think so, the only real reason they are needed is for majors, but the majors could easily defer to money lists if they wanted instead. I don't think it would change all that much

We need a neutral non-biased ranking system with no conflicts of interest that are tied to TV money contracts.

Probably not needed, much like pre-season college football polls but they will exist anyway.

Yes, and needs to be inclusive of all professional golfers.

Of course its needed. Among other reasons its used to determine who gets in certain tournaments

100%

But the current one is broken as hell.

Yes, I think it is needed to tie the tours around the world together

Yes, more so now than ever before golf needs a ranking system for ALL professional golfers.

It is necessary because there are too many pro golfers and it does narrow the playing field pretty well to who is top level. However, there needs to be an independent unbiased system to rank all the golfers worldwide not just the one's on the employee payrolls. 😜

I voted yes, but I'm not so sure. This whole thing has turned into a such a soap opera. All pro golfers need to be rated some how.

I was talking with a guy about the world ranking system. His idea was to have golfers play a minimum of 120 rounds in tournaments, and then base their rankings on their average strokes per round. This would give all golfers an even start. Sounded plausible I thought, but probably way too easy to I.D. the better golfers.

Is there anyway possible course and slope rating could be used to rank them, basically the handicap system that applies to pretty much anyone who swings a club? It seems like the simple answer, but because it seems like the simple answer it must not be.

How could us, the average golf fan, determine the best players in the world?

By height?

there needs to be one of some kind but the current one is broken. Somehow the LIV guys need points but not full points because they are playing a closed field and the bottom 10 guys probably wouldn't even make the tour. Points also need to deteriorate way faster to make the system more volatile.

Is there anyway possible course and slope rating could be used to rank them, basically the handicap system that applies to pretty much anyone who swings a club? It seems like the simple answer, but because it seems like the simple answer it must not be.
Some merit in this. But same course under different circumstances can vary quite a bit.

The current ranking system is a waste of time, but there isn't really a way that will please everyone...number of holes...no cut...blah blah blah

What if every tour allocated their own points system for the season and then at the end of their season, the top 'x' number of players from each tour all play a small number of events to determine the 'winner'?

I think there should be but not all golf is equal.

Some merit in this. But same course under different circumstances can vary quite a bit.

Exactly. Based on the length of each individual hole and the placement of each pin, there has to be a way determine the difficulty of each day of the tournament for each hole. Plus the rating of the course in and of itself. Then the difficulty factored into the days scoring for each hole, then overall. There’s no bias, just math. Who’s in the field doesn’t mean ****, what they are playing against (the course itself) is the beast of the equation and the common denominator. Plus there’s no beating the course.

I mean hell, Callaway just used AI to design a putter, apply that stuff here. You’d have a daily change in world ranking, live and real time. Now the player has to decide if he’s going to ease into the final day to beat the field or bust his ass to move his ranking.

Just let Vegas figure out the rankings. Guarantee it would be more accurate than the current ranking system.

I think need is a strong word but I find it interesting and think it should be in the world.

You Go Smile GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Exactly. Based on the length of each individual hole and the placement of each pin, there has to be a way determine the difficulty of each day of the tournament for each hole. Plus the rating of the course in and of itself. Then the difficulty factored into the days scoring for each hole, then overall. There’s no bias, just math. Who’s in the field doesn’t mean ****, what they are playing against (the course itself) is the beast of the equation and the common denominator. Plus there’s no beating the course.

I mean hell, Callaway just used AI to design a putter, apply that stuff here. You’d have a daily change in world ranking, live and real time. Now the player has to decide if he’s going to ease into the final day to beat the field or bust his ass to move his ranking.
The GHIN system utilized in GB&I has a component which has a daily stroke change part. ie Ya play in 30mph wind they add 2 strokes to the rating. It's not hole by hole just aggregate in total. And always a full stroke count. ie 1,2,3 etc
My guess is the difference between 100 in world and 1000 in world would be hundreths on the handicap. All these guys are plus 5 and higher.

Every other sport, be it a team sport or individual, has some type of ranking system, so golf probably should too. The only caveat is that it should include ALL professional golfers.

Edited to add: Why base rankings based on who they are playing against? Isn't golf you against the course? So why not use some type of handicap system like GHIN which is course-based, not competition-based?

Back