Does the ball you use really make a difference?

After over 40 years playing golf (from rank beginner to hoping to break 90 hack to high school Team MVP to consistent mid to high 70s shooter back to 13 hdcp chop) i can honestly never remember saying after playing any of the thousands of rounds of golf i've played "If i had just used a [insert ball name here] instead of a [insert ball name here] i would've shot 79 not a 82". #WordsNeverUtteredByGolfers
So, we'll ignore the MVP flex and move right to the #WordsNeverUtteredByGolfers.... I said it to at least three people this weekend.

There are a couple things you're either unfamiliar with or ignoring in ball design.

1- 40 years of experience doesn't mean much when the ball has changed dramatically in the last 5 years let alone 20 years let alone 40.
2- Compression plays a significant factor in the overall results for golfers. Ignoring that absolutely costs golfers performance
3- High spin players using high spin golf balls are absolutely costing themselves strokes. Changing balls mid round has DEFINITELY cost me strokes.

Etc.. Etc... Step out of the bubble and give some variety a try. If you're one of the lucky ones who have a neutral swing and can play whatever, congrats to you. Throwing blanket statements on all golfers because you're not familiar with the struggles of speed or spin variance, welp... It's just not a good look.

I have to disagree with this statement and others saying that until you have consistent contact or are a lower handicapper the ball will not matter much in terms of scoring.

For anyone that doesn't look at all the posts about ball fittings or watch the videos, I would highly recommend you do as they helped me considerably to understanding how important playing the correct ball is to your game. I would suggest any person that really wants to see if there is a difference for themselves to grab 10 or more sleeves of different balls. Have them range from the lower price up to the most expensive and really go into a playing test with an open mind. I have done just such an experiment this year and was very surprised at how different some balls will spin, how different some balls will go distance-wise, and how much different playing different balls will affect my personal score.

I have noticed that absolutely I can get more than 10 yards carry with one ball over another off the tee, as well as, from my irons. That I can get one particular ball to spin greater and stop on the green while another will roll more. To each player, even the higher handicap that might need more rollout or that same high handicap player then needs more spin to help a ball stop on a green. You have higher handicaps that need a lower compression ball to help them hit more consistently. On the other side, lower handicap players might look for more ball speed and distance since they already have enough spin with solid contact. A certain ball will help golfers in so many different ways.

I am one of those types of individuals that believe in always trying to learn more and then applying what I have learned for myself and to help others. I would say unequivocally the golf ball can absolutely matter to one's score if playing the correct ball.
Fine, will agree to disagree then

Didn’t you say ProV1’s are bad for your game though? Wouldn’t that imply that the ball you use does make a difference?

There are a couple things you're either unfamiliar with or ignoring in ball design.

1- 40 years of experience doesn't mean much when the ball has changed dramatically in the last 5 years let alone 20 years let alone 40.
2- Compression plays a significant factor in the overall results for golfers. Ignoring that absolutely costs golfers performance
3- High spin players using high spin golf balls are absolutely costing themselves strokes. Changing balls mid round has DEFINITELY cost me strokes.
1 - I'm not playing with 40 year old balls - and my 40 years golfing means everything, please don't discount me like that again
2 - I'm not ignoring compression, i've always selected a ball that feels right to me
3 - This doesn't relate at all to anything i said

Multiple reasons why it matters for myself and countless others I have played with. Now with higher handicaps with no technique at all and that never practice, sure I can see it not making a ton of difference.

For myself I have been a nationally ranked junior, college golfer, attempter of mini tours, sufferer of wrist surgery and up to a current 3.9 handicap, yes the ball makes a ton of difference. For many chip shots the ball doesn't matter a ton, for pitches, and check spin techniques it makes a difference, all of which is determined by your technique. I simply cannot play the same high spin check or somewhat flop that may be needed, because the lack of spin.

IN the 90's and early 2000's the Tour Edition, Titleist professional, Maxfli HT, EV Extra Spin, Z balata and others are a huge difference between those on Titleist DT's or what ever was the prevalent lower spin golf ball of the times. However, those lower spin balls often went further off the tee.

Today, there is very little difference off of a driver between the Ionomer and Urethane golf balls. However, I do see a decent amount of difference on mid and short iron shots and quite a bit can be on pitches. I do know that there is a difference between say the Srixon and Srixon XV on firm greens, as I was playing the XV, as my old course had softer greens and a little less spin was fine. When I moved clubs to one with much firmer greens I switched to the standard Z star and saw my proximity at my new club get better by roughly 9%. This is based over the first 10 rounds at my new club with the XV and the next 10 rounds with the standard. MY proximity got back to almost the same as it was at my previous club (difference of 6 inches). My up and down percentage was back up this past summer(trying different wedge bounces that didn't work didn't help it any, but I have since gone back). This is all based on Arccos data.

How many shots difference exactly? My only basis is SG versus a +1 handicap I use on Arccos. My SG approach has gone from lost 2.8 shot per round and chipping from down 3.2 to 1.9 and 1.5. So I am guessing you could say just switching between the type of tour ball has saved me just two shots per round vs a +1 handicap. I have not bought a "less controllable" golf ball in my golf ball buying life. Sure as a kid that shot in the 90's and 100's I played less spinny balls, but I was not buying them then. So I cannot compare there.

Not to jump on you as I see there has been some discussion (which I love debating) and you seem to be the one on the other side, I have to ask, have you tried doing a full test of most new golf balls? Tested how they relate to your game? How the newer technology has been incorporated to help certain aspects of maybe your game (spin, ball speed, compression) to see if there really is a difference or no difference? I am always one to say that if you haven't really tried then how can you make the argument on one side or another.

1 - I'm not playing with 40 year old balls - and my 40 years golfing means everything, please don't discount me like that again
2 - I'm not ignoring compression, i've always selected a ball that feels right to me
3 - This doesn't relate at all to anything i said
1- who said you were using 40 year old golf balls?
2- If YOU don't ignore compression, why are you telling others to? (I can quote you if you'd like)

and to the last, big LOL on that one. ...and I quote: if you're not a professional or scratch level to low single digit amateur you can play any ball from the major brands in the $15 to $25 price range without worry; they are all good balls that will not hurt your game.

High spin limited compression 25 dollar balls aren't going to hurt someone with a slow swing cutting across the ball? Care to unpack that one for us?

Not to jump on you as I see there has been some discussion (which I love debating) and you seem to be the one on the other side, I have to ask, have you tried doing a full test of most new golf balls? Tested how they relate to your game? How the newer technology has been incorporated to help certain aspects of maybe your game (spin, ball speed, compression) to see if there really is a difference or no difference? I am always one to say that if you haven't really tried then how can you make the argument on one side or another.
It seems to be that he has, as a true 13 handicap; if you're not a professional or scratch level to low single digit amateur you can play any ball from the major brands in the $15 to $25 price range without worry; they are all good balls that will not hurt your game.

A decent player can adjust to playing any ball. Balls generally perform differently from each other and feel different. As a 12-15 handicap, I played the Titleist DT balls for years. Then started to branch out a bit and played Tour Edition and then Precept Pro (loved that ball). I preferred the feel and green holding ability of the Precept. I’ve been playing ProV1 consistently the last few years, but could easily game anything similar. Three or four years ago, I tinkered with all of the “soft” balls, (65 compression or less) and found distance loss with the driver.

I could’ve easily adjusted my game to the ball but found it easier to find a ball for my game
I want to tackle this one a little bit more because it fascinates me that skill seems to be the inherent validation factor in whether someone should be qualified to need a different ball, or good enough to make any ball work with some adjustment. Even though the thread seems to bounce back and forth between the two potential realities.

What is it about a golf ball that is unique as compared to a club head or shaft? If someone says they have too much spin, should they only think to change their club head, or their shaft, or can the ball play a role here too?

I ask because I just don't understand the logic behind it. As a high spin yet arguably decent player, I changed balls and it made a world of difference for me, getting myself into a product that fit my windows better and supported my swing.... and this was after decades of trying to create the perfect blend FOR the ball, with my swing.

As I throw in my $0.02, I admit I cannot speak to the scientific side of things. Also, I`m a 14-15 handicap that currently games Mizuno ST190 woods and JPX 919 Hot Metal irons, so I am anything but a scratch golfer.

In my humble opinion, the ball you play does matter. Currently, I play Snell MTB Black's. For a change up, I`ll switch to Taylormade TP5`s or Callaway Truvis. These 3 balls just seem to react best to my swing. Even when my swing is off, they seem to punish me less than other balls have, especially the Snell. The ProV1 reacts like it`s possessed, even when I`m swinging well, and the lower compression balls just cost me distance. The ProV1 in particular seems to exasperate whatever I do wrong. I have a friend who plays the ProV1 and it very performs well for him. I've seen the Supersoft truly benefit some of the guys with whom I play, especially short hitters. So, yes, I believe spin characteristics and compression can be of critical importance, even for higher handicap players.

I am a little miffed on how someone can believe it doesn't matter. Every little change of equipment will effect your game. Can it be minimal or significant? Absolutely. You have to choose for yourself, which is great. No one can make you do anything. People can spend $4500 on a set of irons and you can play $100 irons.

I do find it interesting and to some a very debatable topic. As I have said prior, I am a data-driven person and I first hand have seen the difference in spin, distance, and feel from using different golf balls. If one makes the argument that the ball has no effect because of their reasoning, that is something we can discuss, but I would like to see their numbers/data that show no difference in either shot play or final score. If a person is more on the lines of I don't believe or I don't see a difference in the score when using a different ball, I wonder if this is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Does “ball don’t lie” apply in this scenario?

I believe the ball does make a difference ... anywhere from wood and iron club spin to short game spin. Especially now, because of the wide variety of available golf balls.

Last edited:
I have been playing Srixon Q-star or the Bridgestone e-6 or 12. I try and stay consitent to those. I might have to watch one of those videos JB talked about

They make a difference around the green, so I play a high-spin ball (Bridgestone e5) that is better at doing what I want the ball to do.

1- who said you were using 40 year old golf balls?
2- If YOU don't ignore compression, why are you telling others to? (I can quote you if you'd like)

and to the last, big LOL on that one. ...and I quote: if you're not a professional or scratch level to low single digit amateur you can play any ball from the major brands in the $15 to $25 price range without worry; they are all good balls that will not hurt your game.

High spin limited compression 25 dollar balls aren't going to hurt someone with a slow swing cutting across the ball? Care to unpack that one for us?
1 - i believe that was you (see your post above)
2 - i never told anyone to ignore compression, only to pick a mid-level ball ($15 - $25) and to go play without worry
3 - i currently play a $15/doz Bridgestone ball and it does just fine with my slow swing

1 - i believe that was you (see your post above)
2 - i never told anyone to ignore compression, only to pick a mid-level ball ($15 - $25) and to go play without worry
3 - i currently play a $15/doz Bridgestone ball and it does just fine with my slow swing
I think it's great you've got a ball that works for your game and is cheaper than the tour level balls. Why does that result in a belief that all balls in the 15-25 price range make no difference for golfers?

Why the blanket statements?

..and I never said you play 40 year old balls. I'm saying I don't see what that has to do with anything considering the monumental changes to golf balls over the last two decades let alone five years. What happened 40 years ago doesn't apply at all today.

Why does that result in a belief that all balls in the 15-25 price range make no difference for golfers?
Because for 40 years i've always played some current mid-level ball and they were/are all good balls, i've yet to find a poor ball employing that method to choose a ball.

Because for 40 years i've always played some current mid-level ball and they were/are all good balls, i've yet to find a poor ball employing that method to choose a ball.
So you're speaking for YOUR perspective, for YOUR swing (which is of course totally fine).

Why are you claiming that it makes no difference for ANYONE not a low handicap golfer?

Walter asked a question in the OP and i simply gave him an honest, truthful answer - no more no less. I've received validation for my statement from several people that 'liked' my posts. I don't know why you insist on making such a big deal about it. There's much more important events to get worked up about going on the world today, this is really just a very minor thing by comparison.

Walter asked a question in the OP and i simply gave him an honest, truthful answer - no more no less. I've received validation for my statement from several people that 'liked' my posts. I don't know why you insist on making such a big deal about it. There's much more important events to get worked up about going on the world today, this is really just a very minor thing by comparison.
You didn’t reply to my question regarding your post saying ProV1’s were bad for your game. Would that not imply, as the OP asked, that the ball does in fact make a difference?

I plan to alternate rounds of golf comparing Sixon ZStar to ZStar XV and am curious about whether I will notice any performance differences.

I agreed with PatsFan saying "I am not a fan of ProV1s".

I agreed with PatsFan saying "I am not a fan of ProV1s".
Ah it was hard to tell based on your response. You said “same” so I assumed you were agreeing with his entire post.

Back