DQ For Green Reading Material

It was last year's book, and he knew it, but still used it.

The 2019 Rules have been in place for nearly two months now. It is the responsibility of the players (and their caddies) to learn the Rules and observe same. In this case Cejka and his caddie have no one to blame but themselves.

Looking more and more like DG_1234 is a USGA employee.

This stuff is so petty. We don’t police the putter anchoring or slow play. But a golfer uses something slightly larger will get you DQ’d. The tour needs their own rules separate from the USGA

It is comical at what they decide to enforce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shockingly I have no issue with it. Now what's funny, is that the guy was using a green reading book for greens from previous years on greens that had been redone for this year.

We can enforce that, but not slow play, lmao

While I agree with the sentiment, the way those two rules are written leaves one nearly impossible to enforce and makes one simple to enforce. A ruler will determine if the green reading material is too large, but judgement calls are necessary for the slow play decision.

I heard this on Golf Central earlier today. He was using last year's material so it's not like he would be getting a huge advantage. I think this DQ was asinine! Let's punish him for the size of his book as opposed to breaking a rule of golf. SMH

Wasn't the fact that his book was the wrong size the reason that he broke a rule of golf?

Golf Channel covered it pretty well today. The rule states a max scale the drawing can be it and the overall size. Sounds like he might have violated both by using the old book.

Also showed Charl Schwartzel chewing out the referee that put his group on the clock. He did it after the round and was quite animated about it. He was in a group with Ben Crane, of the notoriously slow reputation.

How does the slow play rule affect the faster players that are paired with slower players?

I’d love to get the full explanation on this. Feels very stuffy from this perspective but I am sure there’s more to it.

Playing partner Cameron Tringale reported it to a rules official. After noticing the Cejka using the book. Seems for a fellow player to notice. The book must have been significantly larger than what was allowed

Playing partner Cameron Tringale reported it to a rules official. After noticing the Cejka using the book. Seems for a fellow player to notice. The book must have been significantly larger than what was allowed

Don’t you think he should have went to The player first and mention it to him and let him make the decision to get a ruling himself I would have given him the heads up and let him DQ himself or at least call an official to get a ruling I think him being turned in buy a playing partner is a crap move if I told him it was a problem and he didn’t resolve it by himself then I think it would be a different story but to not give him a chance to resolve on his own was a crap move

How does the slow play rule affect the faster players that are paired with slower players?

Your question points to the essence of the "slow play issue". Specifically, it is usually only one player (out of a twosome, threesome, or foursome )who may be slow. So, Your policy is to first identify a slow (out of position) group. Once that is done the offending group is notified they are now "on the clock", which means on Official begins timing each individual player.
After being warned/notified the entire group (including its slowest player) usually speeds up , gets back in position behind the group in front of them, and no penalty is issued. 99.9% of the time this is what happens.
However, if the true offending slow player ignored the warning, ignored the fact each player was now being timed, and continued to play slowly , then that individual slow player (not the entire group) would be issued a one shot penalty.

Yep, reported that he was using the year prior green book which was too large. His playing parter, Tringale didn’t believe the size was correct and informed a Marshall.

The scale didn’t look right, Tringale said.

“My first thought was, `Did I really just see that?’” Tringale said. “My second thought was, `What exactly is the rule?’”

He wasn’t certain how to proceed, so he left it up to rules official Robby Ware on the 10th hole.

“He took it from there,” Tringale said.

At the 13th hole, Ware intervened and discovered Cejka was using an old greens reading book, with grid scales larger than allowed by the new rules. The new interpretation limits images of greens to a scale of 3/8 inch to 5 yards (1:480) or smaller.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryan-palmer-alex-cejka-dq-doesnt-look-very-good-usga

So, with the new rules are apps like Golf Logic against the rules for amateur play?

So, with the new rules are apps like Golf Logic against the rules for amateur play?

For tournament play, anything that measures slope is not allowed.

Generally it's up to a rules committee to allow GPS based devices, as the USGA and R&A allow it as a local rule.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don’t you think he should have went to The player first and mention it to him and let him make the decision to get a ruling himself I would have given him the heads up and let him DQ himself or at least call an official to get a ruling I think him being turned in buy a playing partner is a crap move if I told him it was a problem and he didn’t resolve it by himself then I think it would be a different story but to not give him a chance to resolve on his own was a crap move

I think Tringale did the right thing. Part of your job as a player is to protect the field. IMO if you see a rules infraction it is your obligation to report it. You can say something to the player but you still need to report to rules official or TD. Just my .02

Now this only applies to tournament rounds. Casual rounds do whatever you please.

Also for the record I don't think green reading book rule was necessary. Now that it is a rule. It is the players responsibility to know the rule and abide by it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The old green charts were so precise that you could know everything without any talent in green reading. The new ones are supposed to give less details and consequently the player needs some skills. I would personnally eliminate those greens charts but is legal.
Every time there is a change of rules , some players get pissed off, but if is part of your job to learn the changes. At least in the real world we have to at our jobs.
Same problem with the new rule regarding drops. The major change is not the split second beetween dropping knee height and shoulder height, it is more with the fact that you probably won’t need to drop twice and then place the ball. Many players were quite good at that game but will never admit it.
On the pace of play issue, it will only change when the sponsors will realize that many don’t watch golf live, many times I record it because it last too long and later ( sometimes just an hour after the start)I watch it and fast forward the dull part incuding some players indecision.

FYI I am not USGA:)

Back