Driver Fitting, Continued

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
Even though I went through a full bag fitting in early January, there are so many great choices for driver that I wanted to try all the new models before getting a new one. My current driver is great, but the head is way too heavy and just have too many inconsistent bouts with it.

After numerous hitting sessions, I narrowed down the search to the Covert, 913d2, Anser, G25 and JPX 825. Here are some LM numbers:

Covert: SS: 85 - 92; LA: 11 - 13; Spin: 3600 - 4000; Ball speed: 132; Carry: 217 - 225; Deviation: 7 - 10 yards

I loved the way the Covert felt and hitting it felt effortless. The LA and spin worried me though. Increasing loft might help, so want to try that out.

Anser: SS: 87; LA: 13.3; Spin: 1261; Ball Speed: 126.7; Carry: 205; Deviation: 24

I was pulling a lot of shots, but the fitter liked how I was hitting and felt the adjustment could help straighten out the flight. I like the spin number, but I think I need more ball speed and LA for more distance. Hitting with the Phenom shaft before got the carry distance up, so this is still in the mix. The club feels solid and if I don't turn it over, was getting much higher numbers.

Ping G25: SS: 84; LA: 14.9; Spin: 3125; Ball Speed: 122.4; Carry: 196; Deviation: 7.8

This one is out. I liked the sound, but was slicing even when I thought I killed it. My experience with the G series drivers has not been good for some reason and even though this new model was appealing, just not feeling it.

913D2: SS: 89 (88-90 every swing); LA: 13.2; Spin: 2518; Ball speed: 130; Carry: 220; Deviation: 5.79

I could gush about this club for a long time. Its weight is much more stable than the 909 and I felt in control of every swing. The Blue board fit real well. I tried the RIP stiff and the deviation was 0(!), so now I'm intrigued with that shaft, but want to try regular flex, which won't happen since it would have to be a special order.

So, it's the Covert vs. 913D2, with the Anser and JPX 825 as the sleepers. Very similar numbers between the Covert and 913, but the spin on the Covert is much higher(?) I think I could get more distance out of the Covert, but I really like the deviation of the 913.

I'm interested in getting the right driver, so plan on trying the Covert with more loft and get some LM numbers for the JPX. I might toy with the Anser a little more with the different shaft options and see if it gets any better. With the 913, it'd be great to test the RIP in regular, but that's not happening. Otherwise, a few more hitting sessions and we'll see where I am.

How much stock should I be putting in these numbers? Anything else to consider when trying to decide which one to get?

If anyone has any thoughts/input/suggestions, would love to hear them!

I think that as long as they both felt good, I would put quite a bit of weight into the LM numbers since it more or less levels the playing field. Like you said though, more hitting sessions can't hurt, so I'd hit, hit, and hit until you are 100% confident in your choice.

It looks like your performance was better with the 913, but I don't know if it is $100 better in performance than the covert. Over the long haul of the driver though, $100 is justifiable, so I'd recommend the 913 (but I have not hit either one of them). I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one though!

I think that as long as they both felt good, I would put quite a bit of weight into the LM numbers since it more or less levels the playing field. Like you said though, more hitting sessions can't hurt, so I'd hit, hit, and hit until you are 100% confident in your choice.

It looks like your performance was better with the 913, but I don't know if it is $100 better in performance than the covert. Over the long haul of the driver though, $100 is justifiable, so I'd recommend the 913 (but I have not hit either one of them). I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one though!

Thanks, jank. I agree and will just keep hitting until it pans out. The old me would have bought the JPX, Covert and 913 by now, but trying to make sure I get the right one, not the one I hit real well for 10 minutes in a bay once. We shall see!

If anyone has any thoughts/input/suggestions, would love to hear them!

It sounds like you're launch numbers should be higher with your swing speed. At 90mph (give or take) you should shoot for a launch angle of 13*-15* not 11*-13*. I would almost venture that you can carry your 3 wood almost those distances from the tee. You didn't say what degree drivers you were using or what you had them set at but I'd start at 10.5* and go up from there (11.5* or 12* would be great). You need to get your launch up and your spin around 3,000...

It sounds like you're launch numbers should be higher with your swing speed. At 90mph (give or take) you should shoot for a launch angle of 13*-15* not 11*-13*. I would almost venture that you can carry your 3 wood almost those distances from the tee. You didn't say what degree drivers you were using or what you had them set at but I'd start at 10.5* and go up from there (11.5* or 12* would be great). You need to get your launch up and your spin around 3,000...

You are right about the 3w. Was using 10.5 loft across the board and yeah, I'm not blown away by distance on any of these, as my old driver is longer, just not as consistent as I'd like. I think I'm assuming distance will increase as I get more familiar with the club, but I think I need to focus on those numbers better and see how distance looks then.

As for spin, is more or less spin better if I can't get to 3000? (i.e. Covert is 3600 - 4000 and 913 is 2500).

Thanks!

As for spin, is more or less spin better if I can't get to 3000? (i.e. Covert is 3600 - 4000 and 913 is 2500).

Usually less spin with a driver but this depends on launch (2,500 - 3,000 is a great number). Ideally for your swing speed, you'd want to increase the launch first. Higher launch, lower spin equals big distance. Spin is trajectory. You don't want the ball ballooning on you with too much spin but you need enough to hold the proper trajectory.

I think if you try the Titleist at 11.5* you'll see better results. You might try an Anser 12* as well (high launch/low spin). I'm going to assume you're using a regular flex shaft but try a lighter weight (50 grams or less) shaft as well because it'll promote higher launch characteristics...

Look at the Callaway X Hot line too. High degrees of loft with ultra-light Project X shafts...

Philly,
I believe you will be at the THP Invitational in NJ and if you would like we can spend some time on our launch monitor at the range and get you all dialed in. This way you are seeing it for yourself and we can work to find the right numbers and the right shaft for your swing.

Thanks, guys! Very helpful info, Fourwiggle. I'll try the X hot out and look at a few lighter shafts/higher lofts.

JB, I will be at the THP Invite and that would be awesome to spend some time on the LM. Really looking forward to it.

Philly,
I believe you will be at the THP Invitational in NJ and if you would like we can spend some time on our launch monitor at the range and get you all dialed in. This way you are seeing it for yourself and we can work to find the right numbers and the right shaft for your swing.

PGG, this is your ticket. I'm sure JB will be able to get you dialed in. You'll be happier than Eddie Money working at a travel agency... :D

Thanks, guys! Very helpful info, Fourwiggle. I'll try the X hot out and look at a few lighter shafts/higher lofts.

JB, I will be at the THP Invite and that would be awesome to spend some time on the LM. Really looking forward to it.

Welcome, good luck!! Try out the Cleveland 290 at 12* with the 50 gram Miyazaki R shaft just to get a feel for what I'm talking about...

Based off of those numbers alone I would say that the Titleist 913D2 looks like it will fit you quite nicely. If you can get the launch angle up a tad you'll be getting some great results!

Back