Driver Off The Deck

I did it twice in the same round with @LLIB and @KY Golfer at Heritage Hills thanks to my struggles getting off the tee box for a few holes with mixed results. Not a shot I would rely on, but more of a desperation shot.

I had never seen that in person until this year. Then between you and @BHGtylerb I saw it 4 times in 3 months

Never gonna happen - I don't even consider it! I saw a guy on youtube smoke a driver off the deck and I mean he killed it. I am lucky if I can hit my 3W off the deck.

I have enough issues off of a tee.

I love it when my playing partner tries it..

I imagine my attempt would look something like this.

I had never seen that in person until this year. Then between you and @BHGtylerb I saw it 4 times in 3 months
His were how it should be done, mine were not. ?

Not read all replies so may be repeating

I find this shot quite easy... relatively speaking. I have a theory that outside of a very skilled player then if you have a certain type of (nb faulty) swing then this shot is quite manageable

In that if you're flat back, steeper down and tend to hit down on ball, and a youre say 14 hcap or less then this shot is made for you! If youre a good player who hits up on the driver, as you should, then this could be a struggle

All you need to do is focus on staying down and hitting down. If so then it's guaranteed to cut a bit, worse than can happen is you fat it 150 yards down the middle. Which on a par 5 or v long par 4 isn't a problem for most

Last summer in UK I really owned this shot. Then I started messing with my general swing and it became a bit more hit and miss. But like I say the downsides to this shot are often more palatable than that of a 3 wood.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I did it frequently years ago, had a 2W then also. I still don't have any trouble with low lofted 3 woods now but I have not even tried it with today's deep faced 460 cc drivers. I also was worried about possibly damaging/weakening the adjustable hosel, but thinking about it, I'm not worried with FWW or hybrids ... so I shouldn't with driver.

extremely hard to do this time of year without the lush growth in the fairways

I used to carry a second driver in place of a three wood - the second one was an Orlimar TriMetal 9 degrees. I was very confident with it - it had a shallow face and I found it just as easy to hit off the ground as a three wood, and it went further.

I don't think I would be anywhere near as successful these days with the large head drivers we have now.

I'm waiting for the Mini Driver guys to get in here and tell tales of their deck dominance. I know a couple here use theirs for it.

When I had one I’d hit it off the deck. Then I lost my swing with it and traded it in prematurely. I’d love to have another one, but I’m cheap.

Not read all replies so may be repeating

I find this shot quite easy... relatively speaking. I have a theory that outside of a very skilled player then if you have a certain type of (nb faulty) swing then this shot is quite manageable

In that if you're flat back, steeper down and tend to hit down on ball, and a youre say 14 hcap or less then this shot is made for you! If youre a good player who hits up on the driver, as you should, then this could be a struggle

All you need to do is focus on staying down and hitting down. If so then it's guaranteed to cut a bit, worse than can happen is you fat it 150 yards down the middle. Which on a par 5 or v long par 4 isn't a problem for most

Last summer in UK I really owned this shot. Then I started messing with my general swing and it became a bit more hit and miss. But like I say the downsides to this shot are often more palatable than that of a 3 wood.

Ps to my own post. I've spent the last week testing a theory that I had when I posted but I wasn't confident about, but now I am!

I'm now absolutely certain from the fairway in more accurate with my driver than I am with my 3 wood! Now, maybe on average the 3 wood might go a little further but I can hit well off line with 3 wood.

Witj the driver I just seem to poke it down the middle almost every time. Not great strikes but never in trouble. And pretty similar distances. There's a lot to be said for that!

I used to do it on a regular basis with my old Callaway Warbird knockoff. But that was a lot shallower face than todays drivers. I tried it only twice this last year during scrambles and both times failed miserably.

I have acquired an Original One Mini Driver for my B bag (Taylormades), and will be dedicating my first albatross misguided attempt from 265 out on a par 5 to @fairwaynut . I will try to remember to take video of all the excellence.

Last edited:
I do. Generally I regret it.

When I had a flatter bottomed driver I tried it. It worked. I'm not brave enough to try it anymore with a more rounded bottom driver.

Rarely...the only times in the past few years were as a second shot playing a 610 yard par 5. Other than that, no reason to...I don't even hit 3W

these are the kinda things that are right up my alley? those "can it be done? SHOULD it be done?" type things that derail my focus...can't wait to try :ROFLMAO:

I don't have enough confidence that I woudn't damage my driver since I have a hard time hitting 3 wood off deck as it is.

My best golf over the past 43 years was during 2012 - 2015. I had cut down my PING Rapture V2 driver and played 90% of my tee shots with this driver off the deck. I am seriously considering dropping another club and carrying 2 drivers just so I can have this option again.

One of my buddies does this all the time. Never uses his 3 wood over 150 yds. Always driver off the deck. (And he is a former college golf coach)

Seeing as I can't hit a wood of the deck I sure can't hit a driver off it. I hit a low stinger with my 4 or 5 iron anyways and can get them out there 230-250 with a good roll.

Never once have I tried this except at the range. Got a reasonable distance, but huuuuuge fade right. Probably not for me out on the course!

Back