Driver Question; Is The Next Model Year Worth The Extra Money?

For $50 difference i would 100% go with the Paradym

But if the question regarding newer models was "is paradym ai smoke worth the extra $300 over last years paradym" then i would say no.

I buy the newest model TM driver every year and usually even end up owning a total of 3 new drivers at some point. From year to year i would be lying if i said that i see a huge improvement justifying a $300 upgrade every year

My .02 is Titleist does it right releasing woods every 2 years where you can really tell a difference. The TSR lineup has been out since September 2022 and they're still arguably the best drivers out

I look at it this way: let's say the Rogue is selling for $300, but it only takes another $50 to get the newer model. If you're going to buy a new driver the Rogue price gets you roughly 85% of the way to the newer model - if I was making the choice blind I would go with the Paradym every time unless I had inside knowledge about why it wouldn't work for me.

I’m looking to buy a new driver. I’m down to the Callaway Paradym or Rogue ST Max LS. The price difference between the two isn’t very much; ≈ $50. Is the Paradym (normal, not X or TD) worth the extra cash or is the performance of the Rogue ST Max LS just as good?

If I could hit them both I would, but at this point the sale on Callaway Pre Owned ends tomorrow and I want to pick one up before the prices go back up.

Technically Paradym is last year’s model. The Smoke is this year’s. And the fitters I work with thought the Paradym was the better model. Does CPO offer a playability guarantee? EDIT: they have a 90 day buy-back policy.
Are you able to buy them both and send one back?

The latest driver is never worth the $200-$300 extra cost above the similar model from 1-2 years earlier.
Respectfully disagree. Worth it is subjective and I have some legitimate gains from year to year, especially when it comes to forgiveness and ball speed and spin consistency.

The Paradym was an improvement over the Rogue for me and worth the price difference.

If you study the marketing it is clear they get slightly but still measurably better every year. I did the math for the last 18 years (my old driver was that old) and expect to be hitting 127% of all fairways and averaging somewhere around 393 carry and 482 total once I get used to it. I didn't play much last year so fairways hit,, carry and total were not quite there.

Only if the money, meaning “new tech” translates to something.

Went from 1st Paradym to new Ai Smoke TD. Absolutely worth it on so many levels. Could be that the TD head just fits me better, but this thing is a beast.

In general the gains from one year to the next are minuscule but if you have a driver that is 5+ years old you owe it to yourself to get fitted for a newer one. A lot of the enjoyment of buying a new club is emotional and for me this is true especially with a driver or putter. New and shiny gives me joy even though deep down inside I know it‘s not helping to lower my scoring average. If your budget allows, selling you year old driver and paying another $200+ for a new one might be well worth it, especially when considering that a round of golf with lunch at a resort course can easily run $300 these days.

Occasionally, I find a new driver that is a leap forward and when the original GBB Epic driver came out, it was longer and especially straighter than anything I had played. I played it for 3 years and each year tested it against some newer drivers but nothing had the same tight dispersion and distance as my Epic. After I cracked the face in early 2020, I went through a phase where I tested a handful and bought 2 or 3 new release drivers each year until finally found one I love in the Paradym ◊◊◊ last year. I‘m hitting it better than any of my drivers of the past few years and it sounds so good that that alone is worth the price tag. I’ve hit the new Ai Smoke version of it on a launch monitor and so far my numbers are not better with the AiSmoke TD.

My club makes it easy for me to take new clubs out on the course so when they open I’m sure I’ll demo the new Ai Smoke on course for at least a few rounds and find out if it offers any length, accuracy, or sound advantages. I don’t it expect it to be better but will be happy to buy one if it is a bit longer or straighter.

Last edited:
I ended up hitting an AI Smoke Max and loved it. Much better dispersion than anything else I demoed. Bought it on the spot. Ready to get out and try it on the course.

I would say that comes down to budget and what the fitting shows performance wise for the player.

I’m looking to buy a new driver. I’m down to the Callaway Paradym or Rogue ST Max LS. The price difference between the two isn’t very much; ≈ $50. Is the Paradym (normal, not X or TD) worth the extra cash or is the performance of the Rogue ST Max LS just as good?
;)
If I could hit them both I would, but at this point the sale on Callaway Pre Owned ends tomorrow and I want to pick one up before the prices go back up.
From people that I know that have owned both, the Paradym is a huge upgrade to the Rogue series. Spend the $50.00.

There are so many variables here, I don't feel like there is one answer for anyone. I think it has to come down to how you feel and what you value out of the options you have. I definitely believe that the newer generation is many times definitely better and worth it. I also know there have been times I've tested what I had against newer stuff and didn't see much improvement. I would say though, at $50 difference, I'd likely go with the newer model every time.

I'll tell you my very simplistic, impulsive method... If I absolutely want to buy a driver (like I just have to be unreasonably impulsive... (looks in mirror), and Driver A is $230 and the newer Driver B is $280...I'm looking at my bank account. If there's $280 in it, Driver B it is... If there's $243 in it... We'll, you can see where this math is leading us.... To my secret squirrel, credit card. And $280 newer driver it is... Best of all? My bank account still has $243 in it...

Back