Driving Irons - New Category Or Fad?

I wouldn't be opposed to giving one a test drive. I've never really gotten along with hybrids, and I've tried. I've had some brief success with a few I've tried, but found I was trying to change too many things to make them work, hindering other clubs. I much prefer my 3i.

e9aqapas.jpg

I see this like hem lines on dresses.(Now I have your attention) The club companies have told us now for a while that hybrids are easier to hit for the average player. Still, some tour guys want driving irons and can hit them well.
They would love for us to pay for the production cost of the few irons they actually need for pros worldwide. So we will be told they have NOW become easier to hit. Some of us will pay for this adventure and learn that we went to hybrids for a reason.Heck, my longest iron is a five. My ego can handle it

I think it depends on golf course construction. I know a lot of people are saying the driving iron is popular on links style courses where you can get the ball to run on the deck for awhile. I think if more American courses embrace links/Texas style of water conservation and hard & fast fairways, the driving iron and stingers might become more popular for middle handicap as well as better players.

That being said, the vast majority of hackers out there would still be far better suited with a hybrid.

I much prefer the driving iron for tee shots. Most of the ones I have tried are difficult off the deck. Especially for a digger like me. Right now I am bagging a 7w as my longest club, but may pull the trigger on a 2i driving iron just to use for tee shots. The issue for me on my home course is that 3 of the 4 par 5's are right to left and I play a fade with my irons. My 7w is literally the only club in my bag I can consistently move right to left.

I guess some folks will like a driving iron. I had a form of one years ago in a set of Ping irons. For a guy like me who is really not close to playing to my handicap I just want to keep it in play and have fun. Hybrids do that for me. And after a couple of knee replacements I like the distance I get with the hybrid. I am not voting as much as explaining.Having been in the selling site of the sporting goods business I think stores have a better chance of selling hybrids than driving irons.
I much prefer the driving iron for tee shots. Most of the ones I have tried are difficult off the deck. Especially for a digger like me. Right now I am bagging a 7w as my longest club, but may pull the trigger on a 2i driving iron just to use for tee shots. The issue for me on my home course is that 3 of the 4 par 5's are right to left and I play a fade with my irons. My 7w is literally the only club in my bag I can consistently move right to left.

I guess some folks will like a driving iron. I had a form of one years ago in a set of Ping irons. For a guy like me who is really not close to playing to my handicap I just want to keep it in play and have fun. Hybrids do that for me. And after a couple of knee replacements I like the distance I get with the hybrid. I am not voting as much as explaining.Having been in the selling site of the sporting goods business I think stores have a better chance of selling hybrids than driving irons.

I completely agree. Most people will benefit more from a hybrid over a driving iron. For me, I tend to hit hybrids high and with a lot of spin. That somewhat kills the distance benefit they provide. I just haven't found the right one for me, and don't have the cash to shell out a ton for an upgraded shaft to lower my flight and spin. If I played more often and in more tournaments, I would definitely take the time to be fit properly. But for right now, I play just to get out of the house and have some fun.

I've hit some of these, and for me it's a one-trick pony. BUT, it can do that one trick very well.
If I played hard fairways in the wind a lot, then I could justify it. Other than that, I'd only use it off the tee rarely so a hybrid makes more sense for me.

I would prefer more wedges to one trick pony.

Back