Driving Irons - New Category Or Fad?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I know they have been around for a while, but are becoming increasingly popular. Each company has been releasing their latest versions and some are bringing out their first.

This week Callaway, Nike and TaylorMade have all released new items. Last year Callaway's was very popular among golfers as was the Cleveland MT out on tour.

Do you think this trend continues? And moreso, will it catch on with amateur golfers? The hybrid has been a tremendous asset to amateurs and golf companies as a separate sales tool and category. It is more forgiving in nature, but some amateurs do not like them for whatever reason. They have caught on, on tour by many of the best and have continued to rise in tour use every year since inception.

Is a 1 iron easier to hit if it comes in "hybrid form"? I love the look of the Adams Super DHy but have resisted the temptation to buy one because I know there is probably no way in heck that I'd be able to hit it consistently, or well.

For me, it's a fad that I will be avoiding, despite the urge to buy one.

I think they will be a new category as they are truly a better players type rescue club. They aren't as forgiving as the hybrid but gives you a little playability which is great.
I personally only see these being a better player club because hybrids are just too easy to hit for the average person

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I think they are a fad. I can understand why the tour pros would want to use them at a tournament like the The Open, but even the pros hardly use them outside of that.

I would say that the only reason tour pros are putting them in the bag the last few weeks is to gear up for the The Open. I doubt we hear much about them after the Open.

Interestingly enough, the Deep series from Callaway really got on the map after phil hit some very memorable shots with it during The Open last year. I don't see the driving iron having anywhere near the success of the Deep series.

I know my line of think on is that of those that doubted the hybrid. But I don't see it happening. For many, the results don't exceed their driver or hybrids. I would think this would have to happen in order for them to take hold of the market.

I think that they have some use on Links style course or hard fast course but for most will find very little need for them with how good hybrids are

Hybrids are a tough animal. I know many people including myself that can't hit many of them. Hook machines. That said I have found a couple that I love and they really help my game.

I don't think the driving iron will be mainstream but a small portion of the golf population will continue to play them. It may increase a touch but I don't think a driving iron fits many players either. Many are truly specialty clubs. Can you justify carrying a club that you may only hit once a round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they will be a niche product, but will not gain any long term success in terms of units pushed.

certainly a niche product over here. I can see them maybe being more than that over in Europe in areas that are heavy with links style courses.

I don't think they'll catch on. I know pre-hybrid era my dad had a few collecting dust in the garage. The concept is great, but for most, the performance is suspect.

I used to use a driving iron when they first came out 15-20 years ago and loved it. I just bought the Adams Pro Mini 18* and absolutely love it. It's about 20 yards shorter than my 3w and more accurate.

I've thought that so many things were a fad and then they took off. I think Panda kind of hit it on the head with the original hybrids. I certainly didn't think there was anyway those would become the norm.
I think it's too early to tell with these. A lot will be predicated on the number of tour players who put one in their bag, and keep it. Time will tell the tale.

I don't see them becoming overly popular with amateurs as a hybrid probably suit most amateur needs better. They are definitely a specialty club but one that can be useful in certain situations.

I think when you're a pro, and you can have a specialized club for links style courses, then they make sense. I've tried to hit them a few times, and hit my hybrids better, so I'll continue to go that route.

Aren't the guys putting the MT (or the VRS forged in some of the case of some of the Nike Staffers) in the bag a little different than those playing the utility iron? I saw that more as getting a bit more launch and distance at the bottom of the bag. The MT is a pretty high launching club, and I was under the impression that the driving irons flew a little bit lower. Though, I could be completely wrong.

I don't know if they catch on over drivers and such....but I've got a hybrid that I'll use over my 3 wood because it's easier to hit from a lot of different places.

That being said, I don't think it'll catch on with amateurs much because they like the look of the big fancy heads.

I found last year's models didn't offer much more (if any more) forgiveness than a GI long iron so they only really fit in the bag of someone using pretty small irons already.

They arent so much a fad as they are a product that only applies to a small group of golfers.

New/Old category IMO

Some will take to them some will not because some will be able to hit them well and some won't.

With the advancement in
iron technology making lower lofted irons easier to hit and more forgiving. I think they will have a place in more bags than we think.

I know hybrids have become popular and are great options for many players. My hybrid is almost only used off the tee or a perfect lie for going at par 5's in two and these would fit the bill presumably as it but in a more preferable head shape to me.

I don't find them easier to hit than a driver, but that's just me.

I don't really think it is here to stay. I would consider it a niche piece of equipment used at specific places with specific conditions. There's little to no usage of them on tour on this side of the pond, is there really a need for amatuers to really consider them except for the single digits?

i'm incredibly interested, and think there is a niche this fills. Despite being told that's it's ego or i'm out of my mind...i simply cannot hit a hybrid, off a tee or fairway. I can't explain it...i know i should be...but i cannot. I feel much more confident with a 4i or 3i. I would love something that I could consistently hit off a tee maybe 230 if i needed to be shorter on a par 4, or even a long par 3, and will really be considering one down the line.

certainly a niche product over here. I can see them maybe being more than that over in Europe in areas that are heavy with links style courses.
Interesting point, which reminds me of something I saw at the US Open. I believe it was on the par 4, 13th hole. A lot of American-born players were pulling hybrids, a lot of the European players were pulling long irons. Is there a disparity in club selection between players of both continents, and is this driven by the courses they play growing up?

I would say it's a Niche category for sure. It was mentioned that players are putting them in their bags for The Open. If players (better players and amateurs) play courses that are set up for that where they don't have to over power it but want the workability of an iron, why not pick one up.

With technology improving all the time in golf, I can see these helping some improve their games.

Niche club. Sure, some will game them with success, but I dont think they are something that will take on the form of what the hybrids years ago. Just a fad, a niche market for them, fun to play around with for sure but just not something that will be found in every bag a few years from now like the hybrids did.

I think when you're a pro, and you can have a specialized club for links style courses, then they make sense. I've tried to hit them a few times, and hit my hybrids better, so I'll continue to go that route.

Aren't the guys putting the MT (or the VRS forged in some of the case of some of the Nike Staffers) in the bag a little different than those playing the utility iron? I saw that more as getting a bit more launch and distance at the bottom of the bag. The MT is a pretty high launching club, and I was under the impression that the driving irons flew a little bit lower. Though, I could be completely wrong.

This is true. The MT launches higher than say a driving iron. I was speaking more to the idea of using a "driving iron" at the bottom of the bag rather than hybrid of sorts.

Interesting point, which reminds me of something I saw at the US Open. I believe it was on the par 4, 13th hole. A lot of American-born players were pulling hybrids, a lot of the European players were pulling long irons. Is there a disparity in club selection between players of both continents, and is this driven by the courses they play growing up?

Not in my opinion. Just depends on who they are showing on TV.

Like others have said, it's a niche market for sure. Personally, I have confidence in my clubs currently. I had some hybrids in the bag, and swapped them out for a fairway metal. With that said, I could see myself putting in a driving iron on some courses...but chances are I would put a hybrid back in the bag first.

Fad. Every used club bin I see is full if driving irons and I imagine a lot of that is due to realizations they are much less forgiving and difficult to hit than hybrids. Hybrids are also much more diverse, so it's easier for many that disfavored hybrids in the past to find something they like that is more akin to a long iron.

Personally, I love driving irons, but do not game one. I was consistent with one for a brief period of time and it was a lot of fun to hit, but I see better results with my X2hot and Altitudes.

Taps away

Back