1OCgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a gap in my bag where a 5 wood used to be. I am interested in filling it with a driving iron. What driving irons are you using, what shaft are you using in your driving iron, what's your swing speed and what do you use a driving iron for (off the tee only, into long par 5s)?

I'm looking into the epic forged 4 iron as a driving iron substitute or the Callaway x forged UT but willing to look at other manufacturers too. I'm really interested in what shafts you all have paired with them.

I have a gap in my bag where a 5 wood used to be. I am interested in filling it with a driving iron. What driving irons are you using, what shaft are you using in your driving iron, what's your swing speed and what do you use a driving iron for (off the tee only, into long par 5s)?

I'm looking into the epic forged 4 iron as a driving iron substitute or the Callaway x forged UT but willing to look at other manufacturers too. I'm really interested in what shafts you all have paired with them.
Epic Forged 4 iron you say?

I use my UT club for off the tee and for a controlled approach into par 5's should I need the distance. Haven't had much time outdoors with me EF 4 iron yet. But it's very promising. Really eager to get it on the course.

I guess it depends on what you want out of it. There are more forgiving utility/driving irons like Srixon u85 or Titleist 510. Or smaller profile low launch/low spin options the TM p790 UDI or Titleist 500

Lots of people even now go with strong loft 4 irons. Epic Forged, Cobra f9. Or most recently Nick Taylor who won at Pebble Beach used a SIM Max 4 iron

My driving iron is 90% of the time for tee shots. 790 UDI launches very low with low spin but thats what I want out of it. Pair it with a Tensei Pro Orange shaft and its the best ball speed ive seen from any utility the last 3 years

I'm using a D7 4 iron with modus3 pro 105 in stiff that I got for cheeaap. Easy off the tee, elevates of the turf, and just wants to go straight. Easiest to hit 19.5* club I've ever had.

Epic Forged 4 iron you say?

I use my UT club for off the tee and for a controlled approach into par 5's should I need the distance. Haven't had much time outdoors with me EF 4 iron yet. But it's very promising. Really eager to get it on the course.

This for me and my SS is about 106mph with a driver and my EF 4 iron has a Aerotech Steel Fiber FC90 shaft.

I only got a few rounds last fall with it before winter set in so I'm also looking forward to getting it outdoors hopefully in early April. I use it primarily for 2nd shots on par 5's or off the tee on two par 4's at my home course. I also sometimes on the long par 3 11th which can play up to 246 yards.

This for me and my SS is about 106mph with a driver and my EF 4 iron has a Aerotech Steel Fiber FC90 shaft.

I only got a few rounds last fall with it before winter set in so I'm also looking forward to getting it outdoors hopefully in early April. I use it primarily for 2nd shots on par 5's or off the tee on two par 4's at my home course. I also sometimes on the long par 3 11th which can play up to 246 yards.
I love that I get hybrid like speeds with a much lower launch. I really feel like it's a sleeper club. A sneaky good weapon.

I’ve loved the X Forged UT irons.

I have the P790 UDI (2i/17*) and use it off the tee on most par 4’s under 350 yards or if I would be punished for missing the fairway. I have the HZRDUS Smoke 100 gram shaft in mine. I play 130 gram steel shafts in my irons, but wanted to squeeze a little more club head speed out of this since it was primary going to be a tee club for me. I’ve been very happy with it. I have used it once for a second shot on a par 5 when I was playing shorter tees with wind behind me, but I don’t expect to use it on par 5’s often.

I carried a 1 iron for 20 years. I hit that club better than my wedges. My guess is it was equal to the 4 iron of today. My go to was a Ping. Even though my set was never Ping. It had a standard Dynamic Gold steel shaft. Last time in bag was 1993. I teed off with it more than my driver as it was so reliable and I could get 250 out of it. Then a broken wrist and loss of club speed and to the bench the 1 iron went.

Don’t sleep on new mavrik pro 3i. not overly big profile. Plenty of forgiveness but workability as well.

I am using an X-Forged UT 21 degree with the same shaft in it as my irons (KBS $taper 120g S), SS for driver is 110 and I use the driving iron mainly off the tee but I would hit it off the turf in the right condition/lie.

Don’t sleep on new mavrik pro 3i. not overly big profile. Plenty of forgiveness but workability as well.
Very good point. The long irons are really great looking. Lots of tech packed in there too.

I have the Srixon ZU85 with the Recoil 95 F4 shaft in it

Off the tee it is a very good club for me, and I can also hit it off the deck as well if I want to get the ball running on landing

Last edited:
I am currently carrying a Cobra SpeedZone 4i on a UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Prototype F4 shaft cut to 39.5. Its amazing. Distances are about 225 carry on well struck balls and can be played off the deck at about 210 for me. The best part is that it is most forgiving on low on the face shots, which is a common miss with longer irons.

Ping G410 Crossover 2-iron,
stock Alta CB 70 Red shaft,
Tour Wrap 2G grip,
¾" short (40.375" to 39.625") , 1º weak (17 to 18º), std. Black dot lie (would go Red dot at full length).

An absolute beast.
Strictly a tight driving hole driving club for me, though; no fairway use.

This club is a distance overlap with my weaker lofted (22º) 7-wood, both good for a GPS confirmed 200+ yards off the tee,
For me, it's still worth bagging both of them.
7-wood has higher trajectory and steeper descent, good for hitting at greens.
2-iron hits line drives that land hot, virtually unaffected by wind, good for hitting at tight landing areas.
I want both shots in my bag.

I am using an X-Forged UT 21 degree with the same shaft in it as my irons (KBS $taper 120g S), SS for driver is 110 and I use the driving iron mainly off the tee but I would hit it off the turf in the right condition/lie.
Why did you go with the 21 degree vs the 18 degree and why did you go with the same shaft as in your irons?

Had the Apex UT with recoil and it was a monster. Shaft broke and never got around to fix it. Thanks for the reminder!

Why did you go with the 21 degree vs the 18 degree and why did you go with the same shaft as in your irons?
I tried a few shafts at my fitting but the $taper 120s ended just being the best fit as far as numbers and feel, as well as the fitter recommended it. And the 21 degree was just a matter of filling a gap between the 4 iron and hybrid.

Back