Dumb new vehicle trends.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
Look, I'm a car guy, there's no doubt about that. But as I look around at the modern car scene, I wonder how people find some of these new trends attractive, cool or even safe? We are seeing some of the greatest cars to ever be produced by auto manufacturers and yet people still find it necessary to do this stuff to vehicles? Maybe I'm just getting old and my taste stayed in the 80's and 90's?

Donks: I thought these would be a passing trend once they destroyed all of the big 70's 4 doors, but somehow it has endured and now I see this treatment to new Camaros and Mustangs around here. And no, they don't get paid for advertising, I asked that already. Absolutely horrible.

The Carolina Squat: Another ridiculous look that has really caught on around here. I would ask what the purpose is, but we all know that there is no purpose. I guess it makes it easier to load stuff in the bed of a lifted 4WD if you don't lift the back? I'm a fan of trucks that are raised, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. I saw one the other day that had worn notches in the fender flares on the back because the tires were cutting into them.

Stanced: I have no idea how this is even safe or legal. Using tires that are way too narrow for the wheels and putting in excessive camber just doesn't seem to be a recipe for something that's fun to drive. It's not that they're low either, I'm actually a fan of cars and trucks that are lowered correctly.

I wasn't even aware of the first two, but I agree that none of these are attractive or cool.

I will refrain from getting on my soapbox about people potentially compromising safety with their stupidity.

I have seen all of them and I have to say as an import guy I HATE STANCED CARS!!!! You lose any and all performance and how people think it looks good I just dont know...
The large rims on an older model i think is also just stupid as there is no performance gain, same with the squat.
I guess I am just function over form. If it doesn't improve the performance i see no point in it. I am a firm believer in keep the looks subdued and let the performance be what people remember.

All three are beyond stupid but it's par for the course with the human race

I always thought that lowered trucks were ridiculous.

Stanced cars are so dumb IMO. What a waste of money. Waste of it to have it done, and then a waste of money on tires since they wear sooo fast. Just ridiculous. That money could be spent on so many better things.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Donks have somewhat gone out of fashion here in Oakland. They were really popular when I first moved here 4 years ago, but see them less and less thankfully.

Agree that both of these are just dumb, and really an expensive way to get attention.

Besides stanced, I didn't even know the other two existed and I live in a province with a large percentage of vehicles being trucks.

love this thread. So many dumb things being done to cars out there. I like some lowered cars but the stance cars are ridiculous. Now the smaller tire on the bigger rim used to have to be done back in the day, but that was because they didn't have big enough tires for those rims at the time. Any more there's no freaking point and I just think it's stupid. I've also never understood lowering SUVs or big trucks. :shrug:

I work on some of these stanced vehicles...I should get paid extra just from all the hackery. Tires? You just flip them on the wheels at 1000 miles, hahaha. I have a lowered Gti but it is performance and looks. The truck squat thing is worse than all the diesels with 12in stacks in the bed

10831935_761533493936555_1359784936_n.jpg

Tire stretching started in the UK as the tire could not pass the fender edge, but nothing stated about the wheel. You can have safe stretch but not a 185 width tire on a 10in wide wheel.

Now the small tire drag guys run stretch on the slicks to gain contact area. 10.5 tire on a 13in wheel.

I have seen all of them and I have to say as an import guy I HATE STANCED CARS!!!! You lose any and all performance and how people think it looks good I just dont know...
The large rims on an older model i think is also just stupid as there is no performance gain, same with the squat.
I guess I am just function over form. If it doesn't improve the performance i see no point in it. I am a firm believer in keep the looks subdued and let the performance be what people remember.
Yep number one thing I absolutely cannot stand is the stance / extreme camber / "vip" scene. Hey mod your car however you like that's your business but that sh!t is simply dangerous and when it puts me in jeopardy driving by you, it pisses me off. I love the guys on forums that say "bro must of been a defect, I had another blowout". Want to know if someone is an idiot? Ask them if their car is stanced. I've been in the import scene for far too long lol gets old.

Yep number one thing I absolutely cannot stand is the stance / extreme camber / "vip" scene. Hey mod your car however you like that's your business but that sh!t is simply dangerous and when it puts me in jeopardy driving by you, it pisses me off. I love the guys on forums that say "bro must of been a defect, I had another blowout". Want to know if someone is an idiot? Ask them if their car is stanced. I've been in the import scene for far too long lol gets old.

Same here man I hate it! I would gladly go back to people putting all the vinyl graphics on their cars vs stanced. Just so stupid and yes dangerous. I guess my thought is if it cant be driven safely whats the point?? Same reason I am not a fan of trailor queens. I mean hey to each their own but have some common sense!

Same here man I hate it! I would gladly go back to people putting all the vinyl graphics on their cars vs stanced. Just so stupid and yes dangerous. I guess my thought is if it cant be driven safely whats the point?? Same reason I am not a fan of trailor queens. I mean hey to each their own but have some common sense!
Yep like I said, I have my pet peeves as far as looks go but hey it's their money so whatevs but putting someone at risk because you knowingly did something f*****g stupid just grinds my gears haha.

I knew there would be a few comments about lowered trucks, but I've been into the lowered truck scene since the 80s. As long as they're done correctly, there are more positives than negatives. That assumes they were done right though. Just like stanced cars give lowered imports a bad name, idiots who cut springs, add blocks or crank torsion bars give the lowered truck crowd a bad name. My Ram is lowered 5" in the front and 7" in the back and still rides like stock. I also tow a 24' trailer with my race car in the back like it wasn't there. I always laugh when people say "You can't haul anything anymore" and point to the reserve air fill in the roll pan.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Tire stretching started in the UK as the tire could not pass the fender edge, but nothing stated about the wheel. You can have safe stretch but not a 185 width tire on a 10in wide wheel.

Now the small tire drag guys run stretch on the slicks to gain contact area. 10.5 tire on a 13in wheel.

I run a 275 drag radial on a 12" wheel for that exact purpose as I am limited to a 275/60/15 drag radial in my class but the entire bead is in contact with the rim.

I am the most non-car guy you will ever meet, but I will ridicule the crap out of all of the things mentioned in this thread because I agree, they are extremely stupid!

Luckily, I've only seen 1 of these in person...the ricer with the wheels and it looked just a dumb. Haven't seen one with the truck all reverse lifted. Around here they'd just think you broke your back suspension, I'd imagine.

I hate blowoff valves with a passion. Spend some money and get yourself a better turbo... :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dumb new vehicle trends.

Not a fan of any of those looks. Typically don't care how people spend their money but if it puts others at risk on the road then I think that's pretty lame.

The fat, loud a$$ exhausts also get on my nerves but again, whatever.

I hate blowoff valves with a passion. Spend some money and get yourself a better turbo... :(

I don't mind them if they are functional and that's rarely seen unless someone has a legit build. They are simply noisemakers on stock turbo cars or low hp builds and can be annoying for sure. Get a nasty build that actually calls for one (for a reason) and I don't mind them.

Guess I am confused as to what you mean by this. The quality of the turbo has nothing to do with the blowoff valve or the sound you hear from it. Now if you are saying you dont like the sound of a blowoff valve then I understand but that has to do with whether it is a recirculated BOV or a VTA (Vent to Atmosphere). VTA has a more pronounced and noticeable sound where as a Recirculated BOV isn't really noticeable. Neither of which have to do with the quality of the turbo. So i guess i just don't know what you mean with that statement.

There's all kind of vehicular stupidity around here but the thing that annoys me the most is all the pinheads who have the crazy bright HID headlights installed improperly on their vehicles and run around blinding everybody.

If you seriously need the power of 7 suns radiating from your vehicle in order to see where you're going - you shouldn't be driving.

Back