Dumb Question: Gap Wedge, Attack Wedge, Pitching Wedge

This is exactly my understanding, when they first needed to fill the gap between the PW and SW all of the 1st ones I saw were called AW for Approach Wedge, then some began calling the the GW for Gap Wedge later, I also remember Callaway simply calling their's a 10 iron.
I had a set of Goldwin irons. They went 3-10 and then PW. The PW is 50*.

I have a PW, SW, LW and then just Another Wedge. :bashful:

I agree that the gap and approach wedges (we call em approach) are one and the same.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

I'm going to say that it depends on the manufacturer in my set of Cleveland's i had a D wedge @ 50 degrees it was after my pitching wedge and now in my set of cobra's I have a G wedge also at 50 degrees. I think when you get into wedges it's more important to look at the loft rather than the letter on the bottom. I still don't know what the D stood for.

Another name for the Approach/attack/gap wedge is the utility wedge, I think Ping is the only one to use that name/letter.

To the OP: I wouldn't really consider that a dumb question...4-5 different names for basically the same club can be confusing to the beginner.
One of these days maybe the manufacturers will get their crap together and agree on ONE NAME for said wedge.
I still never figured out what Cleveland's "D" stood for either...

D stands for dammit, which is what you say after mis-hitting it again.

Maybe that's it?
Reminds me of the WITB video I did where I named my wedges, "S for "Slice", A for "Aaaaaaugh", and P for "Pppppppppft!"

Last edited:
One of the old iron sets we've got lying around, some Johnc C. RIley's or something like that, have an E wedge. That one's new to me.

Back