East Coast (mostly) Gas issue (which will likely be back to normal by Sunday?)

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
So, the family and I (on a full tank of gas) are heading from No. VA to Charleston Friday for a long overdue break from all this. We will be at Ooh Aah Kiawah on Tuesday (sorry, that's what the kids learned from camp Kiawah when they were young - it sticks with you), for the PGA practice round. The rest of the trip is good old R and R. no golf - such is life. I have read about all the fuel issues and hope/plan fingers crossed that as we approach NC we can fill up again while still in VA as VA supposedly has a bit more fuel than NC. If that is successful we can get deep in SC before filling up again and by the time we need gas after that all should be right with world.

Anyone have real world experience for now on if that is feasible or will be searching for gas from the the southern part of 95 in VA deep into NC?

Most stations here in my suburb of NC have gas and no lines, it should be no issue as now the pipeline is back up. Check gas buddy to find out though.

Thanks are you near 95?

I get the pipeline is open. But they are having trouble, supposedly, getting fuel to the actual stations.

Thanks are you near 95?

I get the pipeline is open. But they are having trouble, supposedly, getting fuel to the actual stations.

That is really a separate issue due to a huge transportation shortage nationwide.. Not enough trucks right now.. I feel it every day in my job..

So, the family and I (on a full tank of gas) are heading from No. VA to Charleston Friday for a long overdue break from all this. We will be at Ooh Aah Kiawah on Tuesday (sorry, that's what the kids learned from camp Kiawah when they were young - it sticks with you), for the PGA practice round. The rest of the trip is good old R and R. no golf - such is life. I have read about all the fuel issues and hope/plan fingers crossed that as we approach NC we can fill up again while still in VA as VA supposedly has a bit more fuel than NC. If that is successful we can get deep in SC before filling up again and by the time we need gas after that all should be right with world.

Anyone have real world experience for now on if that is feasible or will be searching for gas from the the southern part of 95 in VA deep into NC?
Not here in Appomattox. No gas here for 2 days now

Yes and no. In the article I read, it suggested that the fuel issue combined with the trucker personnel issue had the potential to show this "recovery" even though the pipeline is now open.

It was inferred that it could be a few to several days before "normal" returns.

And almost entirely due to hoarders!

And almost entirely due to hoarders!

A friend of mine in Lynchburg posted a photo on Facebook of some person of questionable intelligence pumping gas in to plastic storage totes like you buy at Walmart, with no lids I might add, and loading them in to the back of an SUV. Probably passed out from the fumes on the way home, crashed, and lost all the gas.

Should not laugh, but I am. Sad state of affairs.

I guess the good thing about living in California is if ever out pipe line had an issue, most people wouldn’t be able to afford to panic buy large amounts of fuel here LOL. #Nearly$5AGallon

I cannot believe they paid the ransom. This ransomware BS has got to stop.

The fact that they paid, acknowledged they paid and let the media run with the story will only feed this issue. It is nuts.

I'm not sure I'm buying the Gas Buddy's stats... just don't jive with other evidence. But he's brought a lot of attention to his website...

Hope all affected are over this mess soon enough.

The fact that they paid, acknowledged they paid and let the media run with the story will only feed this issue. It is nuts.

It was probably a simple cost/benefit - option 1 pay these asshats $5M and get it up and running, option 2 try to figure it out at a risk of creating chaos that costs WAY MORE. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm guessing that was the line of thinking.

My concern though is this legitimizes the possibility of schemes like this actually being successful, and we may start seeing even more of it. Cybersecurity firms have to be absolutely battening down the hatches right now.

@Jaw2000 Things are slowly getting back to normal here. On the news they were trying to find lines and the short ones they found all looked like contractors/construction trucks because everyone here already filled up.

My wife is actually driving to Kiawah right now and is already on 95. She has reported much lower than usual traffic from Raleigh to 95 and 95 seems light so demand could be lower today.

watch out for the 8 mile stretch just south of Dunn NC (about 10 miles south of I 40) as there is construction with a lane shift that cause a lot of accidents/backups.

It was probably a simple cost/benefit - option 1 pay these asshats $5M and get it up and running, option 2 try to figure it out at a risk of creating chaos that costs WAY MORE. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm guessing that was the line of thinking.

My concern though is this legitimizes the possibility of schemes like this actually being successful, and we may start seeing even more of it. Cybersecurity firms have to be absolutely battening down the hatches right now.
I understand the analysis, I just disagree with publishing the outcome. I am sure it would all come out but we are promoting further attacks. It is a shame Either way you look at it.

The previous two companies I worked for were both hit with ransomware attacks. One paid and one shut down their servers and did a restore from the most recent backup. Wild times!

I heard a reporter this morning say Colonial had a $15MM cybersecurity insurance policy, so "What? Me worry?"

This from fool.com:

The company that operates a key transmission pipeline that delivers gasoline and jet fuel to East Coast markets paid $5 million to hackers to regain control of its systems.

Colonial Pipeline had initially said it had no intention of paying the ransom demanded by hackers who disabled its computer networks and shut down the pipeline. But the company did pay the ransom, according to a Bloomberg report, delivering about $5 million in an untraceable cryptocurrency within hours after the attack.

The pipeline shutdown has led to fuel shortages and lines at gas stations from Texas to New Jersey, and caused American Airlines Group to add fuel stops to some of its Charlotte flights. The identity of the hackers is unknown, though the FBI said they are believed to be linked to a group operating out of Russia or Eastern Europe.

Even with the ransom payment, Colonial was unable to prevent disruptions. According to the report, Colonial received a decrypting tool to restore its network after paying the ransom, but the tool was so slow that the company was forced to rely on its internal backups to help restore the system.

Colonial said Thursday morning that the pipeline had resumed service after being off line for five days, but disruptions could last for days while reserves are refilled and supply chains normalize.

On that same report, I heard the reporter say Colonial computers were using the Windows 7 OS on [at least some of] their computers at the time if the attack. Win 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft - at least if you’re in the private sector.

I'm in NOVA as well and had to send a friend that drives a diesel Golf to get me gas while he is on Ft. Belvoir for work. I spent the last 3 days looking for 93 octane and couldn't find a drop here. I hear it's better deep into 95 towards southern VA. I am driving to WVA in the AM tomorrow and supposedly they have a decent amount. I just hope they have gas on site at Summit Point Motorsports Park after my track day.

The previous two companies I worked for were both hit with ransomware attacks. One paid and one shut down their servers and did a restore from the most recent backup. Wild times!

My current employer was hit two years ago. We did not pay. Manufacturing was completely separated from our enterprise system and resumed operations with paper documentation within days. Enterprise system and communications, other than cell phones and fax machines (millenials were stumped), were down for about a week until we set up a temporary parallel email system. It was about four weeks until everything ws back up and running as it had been before the attack. Not every laptop was infected, but every laptop was replaced.

Made it, issue free. Stopped at truck stop near va/nc line. Then at south of the boarder because my wife hates that place.

So that said, I could see several closed filing stations from the highway.

Things should improve soon. Saw a lot of fuel trucks.

Back