I played my first round of the season yesterday and the 60* D-grind continues to be $$$. Two chip-ins on the day!
Amazing. Starting the prep for the Quest Cup early this year?

Thank you @Scooby45 for sending the 54* my way to test. First real practice session is in the books and I like what it offered. The weight is perfect and although the nippon shaft isn’t my jam, I like the combo. I don’t open the club a lot and tend to be “stock” with my wedge play and maybe some toe down action. This club was as good anything I’ve ever played. I’m excited to get it out for more practice and put it in play in a couple weeks for my AZ trip

Last edited:
Thank you @Scooby45 for sending the 54* my way to test. First real practice session is in the books and I like what it offered. The weight is perfect and although the nippon shaft isn’t my jam, I like the combo. I don’t open the club a lot and tend to be “stock” with my wedge play and maybe some toe down action. This club was as good anything I’ve ever played. I’m excited to get it out for more practice and put it in play in a couple weeks for my AZ trip
Glad I’m fortunate enough to be able to facilitate a good trial run for you. It‘s not a coincidence my short game strokes gained was better last year than it ever has been.

Amazing. Starting the prep for the Quest Cup early this year?
Precisely! I gave myself a little more time this year by having this be a May event.

Deion Sanders Sport GIF by Coach Prime

Precisely! I gave myself a little more time this year by having this be a May event.

Deion Sanders Sport GIF by Coach Prime
And maybe tried to stack your team with that trade ;)

I played my first round of the season yesterday and the 60* D-grind continues to be $$$. Two chip-ins on the day!
I love the sound of that!! Let's go!!

The Wildcat has seen some things in the course. Look away @Canadan

IMG_1953.jpeg

Had my first chip in today with my 54T! I left myself short on the par 3 tee shot and was just off the green about 5 yards. I grabbed the 54T and clipped it nice. The ball hit on top of the ridge on the edge of the green and rolled out to the pin and dropped. I also used the 54T on a deep bunker shot from about 35 yards. I wanted to make sure I was not short. When I hit it I thought I was going over the green but the ball checked up on the back level of the green and I left myself a look at par from about 12 feet.

Got a windy round in this weekend with these. Settling in with them pretty well at this point. Had two sand shots. The first was sitting in the bottom of a firmer bunker. Took the 58C and almost jarred it, with the ball kicking right behind the hole leaving me a birdie putt on a reachable par 5. Second sand shot was a terrible lie on the face that I just had to chunk out on the green away from the pin. Didn't give myself a great look to save par, but I had to be out and I was able to do that, so that's a win for me. Some good chip shots to boot and some up and downs I honestly didn't expect to get this early in the season. Not gonna lie and say I played out of my mind, but given the conditions and the time of the year for golf here, I'm pretty pleased with where I'm at with these wedges.

Had a rough round with my irons today, so plenty of chances to put these wedges to work. They weren't all great/perfect swings on my part but definitely had some memorable shots that kept the round from spiraling completely out of control.

My #oneshot today was with the 58C on 12. Meh tee ball and a missed right 7I (rough rough iron day) left me just under pin high, about 25 yards right of the hole to a pin tucked in the narrowest part on the front of the green. Lie was cleanish, but soft. A nice pitch swing and the ball flew up nice and high with enough spin to stop it just past the hole for a par save putt.

Reading back through this thread has me excited to get my wedges. I’m trying to be patient but it’s hard. If they perform on the course like they did at the fitting I can see my handicap dropping quickly.

I have been blading a few 50-60 yard shots lately. I told my coach we need to fix that asap. He made an adjustment to my stance as it was too wide and i was not getting enough weight forward. As soon as i did that i was hitting nice high soft shots right to 50-60 yards where had had some cones out. Such an easy change to get a great result.

LOl well the post above is what i wanted today with my wedges but i got a case of the rights on about 5 shots with some wedges today. I know i was taking the club inside way too hard but i just struggled to stop it. Chipping was really good with both the 58 and 54 and i had a nice sandy par save on hole 4. The 58P in the sand is just perfect.

Got my wedges in last night and played around with the 54 & 58 since I had some golf balls to review. Started with the 58 and couldn’t get comfortable with it. I was chunking a lot of chips and I didn’t do that in the fitting. Moved on to the 54 with the same results. They shipped with the heavy weight in the center so I thought I’d try moving it. Moved it out to the toe and opened the face just a touch. I couldn’t believe the difference. I don’t think I duffed another shot after that. Did the same with the 58 with the same results.

Spin seemed similar to my MG3’s and they feel a lot better. I went up some in shaft weight and shorter in length so that might have been part of the reason for the bad start. Overall initial impressions are good. I’m a believer in the movable weights now. I’m looking forward to getting them on the course because my short game has really been holding me back so far this year.

I got to play around with these some more of this evening. It rained this morning so the ground was softer than it was last night and these were wanting to dig on me. I was getting really frustrated. I spent a good hour chunking chips and hitting really bad shots with them. And then it dawned on me that my old wedges were more upright and wanted to go left I had to set up really open with the face open to get anywhere near my target. So I squared up my stance and club face, made sure not to flip my hands, and let the club do the work and that was all it took. Every shot looked identical. I hit probably 20 shots from different distances (10-30yds) and you could’ve thrown a beach towel over all of them. Found a piece of ground that wasn’t as soft and tried the same technique and got the same results. It seems like the V grind just wants to be played square which is perfectly fine with me. I’m trying to simplify the game and this chipping technique should help do that.

I got to play around with these some more of this evening. It rained this morning so the ground was softer than it was last night and these were wanting to dig on me. I was getting really frustrated. I spent a good hour chunking chips and hitting really bad shots with them. And then it dawned on me that my old wedges were more upright and wanted to go left I had to set up really open with the face open to get anywhere near my target. So I squared up my stance and club face, made sure not to flip my hands, and let the club do the work and that was all it took. Every shot looked identical. I hit probably 20 shots from different distances (10-30yds) and you could’ve thrown a beach towel over all of them. Found a piece of ground that wasn’t as soft and tried the same technique and got the same results. It seems like the V grind just wants to be played square which is perfectly fine with me. I’m trying to simplify the game and this chipping technique should help do that.
V grind is awesome for straight on shots. I only open the face with it if I'm in the rough or a softer trap. Glad you found something!

Excellent round with the SMS wedges yesterday, The 58P left me in some great spots to get up and down for par. I went long on a par 5 and was behind a bunker that required me to land it soft to go downhill to the pin. I opened the face a touch and clipped it just right the ball hit the green softly and slowly rolled down and stopped an inch from dropping for eagle!

Continue to gain confidence with these wedges. Definitely had a few sub par lies that I didn't get good results out of my last round out but I also had some really good shots. Short sided on a par 3 I was able to pop the 58 up, took one bounce in the rough and rolled out to 6 inches. Same out of a green side trap. Cannot wait to put the P grind in play. I think it will work better for me than the C grind on some of the lies I seem to find myself in regularly. At this point these would be my gamers this year regardless of me getting to go to the Quest Cup. Really happy with these wedges right now.

Back