European golf trip (Scotland)

merlebo02

Reaction score
Handicap
Planning a golf trip to Scotland (not opposed to other countries in the area easily accessible) for 2024… been looking at the hidden links website and possibly using them to book the trip. Thinking 6 to 8 guys.. prolly a 7 day trip with 5 days of golf/sight seeing. who all has done this sort of thing and what recommendations can you make.. what are the must play courses around Scotland?

We did this for 10 days in May. More info is needed. We went for purely golf and could not have been better. Wanted to play old course and the best we could play considering time and desire to not move every few days. We wrapped up the trip thinking we couldn’t not have planned better or had a Better trip. We used a tour group who could get us all the tee times we really wanted as well as the hotel caliber we wanted. You need to decide on what the must dos are for your group

We did this for 10 days in May. More info is needed. We went for purely golf and could not have been better. Wanted to play old course and the best we could play considering time and desire to not move every few days. We wrapped up the trip thinking we couldn’t not have planned better or had a Better trip. We used a tour group who could get us all the tee times we really wanted as well as the hotel caliber we wanted. You need to decide on what the must dos are for your group
Would you recommend 10 days instead of 7? How many courses did y’all do a day? What more info is needed to better plan? What tour group did you use?

We have an absolutely embarrassment of riches over here in terms of courses. Might be worth having a chat with @GolfTravelDude as well who arranges lots of trips over here and has the hook ups.

We have a lot of the prestige courses, St Andrews, Gleneagles, Carnoustie, Castle Stuart, Turnberry, Troon, Kingsbarns, the list goes on. They can be pretty pricy at the high season though, so it is always worth looking at some more of the hidden gems - Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, Montrose, Newmachar Hawkshill, Brora etc. Lot of links courses that have a wonderful character all of their own!

Planning a golf trip to Scotland (not opposed to other countries in the area easily accessible) for 2024… been looking at the hidden links website and possibly using them to book the trip. Thinking 6 to 8 guys.. prolly a 7 day trip with 5 days of golf/sight seeing. who all has done this sort of thing and what recommendations can you make.. what are the must play courses around Scotland?
Scotland breaks down to about 4 distinct areas, Ireland into 3, England into 3 and Wales. It's best to decide which singular area you most desire. Create your budget and then dig in. If your budget is big and you require playing the Old at St Andrews I'd say a Tour Operator is needed. Other than that no. Most courses allocate their tee times via internet, however the most desired like Muirfield, when they open up their prime time summer times will sell out in 48 hours, and last year for 2023 they opened up March 2022.
Create your game plan and then engage. For 2024 I'm working on 3 trips already. A great listing source of golf courses is https://www.top100golfcourses.com/
Personally, I have made 26 trips over. Mostly to play great links courses. The only reason you might wish to visit 2nd tier courses is budget or you have made a few trips and want to visit others. If you come back from a Scotland trip...nobody asks if you played the 2nd tier places. Good Luck.

Scotland breaks down to about 4 distinct areas, Ireland into 3, England into 3 and Wales. It's best to decide which singular area you most desire. Create your budget and then dig in. If your budget is big and you require playing the Old at St Andrews I'd say a Tour Operator is needed. Other than that no. Most courses allocate their tee times via internet, however the most desired like Muirfield, when they open up their prime time summer times will sell out in 48 hours, and last year for 2023 they opened up March 2022.
Create your game plan and then engage. For 2024 I'm working on 3 trips already. A great listing source of golf courses is https://www.top100golfcourses.com/
Personally, I have made 26 trips over. Mostly to play great links courses. The only reason you might wish to visit 2nd tier courses is budget or you have made a few trips and want to visit others. If you come back from a Scotland trip...nobody asks if you played the 2nd tier places. Good Luck.
We are just starting our 10 day trip planning now. Can you give me some info on who you use to book through?

Thanks

5 days of golf is tough to get around Scotland too much. Your time of year will likely dictate how feasible it is to get on the Old Course (I'm 2 for 2 for the lottery in May, but the summer's not that easy, September is awful and I hear October is tough too because of events). Here's what I recently recommended to a buddy...

- Stay 3 nights in St. Andrews as close to the first tee as possible. Enter the Old Course lottery every day. Do not stay over on a Sunday, as the course is closed, although Thursdays and Saturdays are the best days to win the lottery (Saturdays have double the openings). Also, look at the website to see if there are any events going on those days and avoid if at all possible.
- Schedule Carnoustie, Kingsbarns (if you have the cash) or Crail Balcomie (if you don't), and Elie. At least one person will decide Elie is their favorite course on the trip. If you're worried about not getting on the Old Course, then you can do the New Course on the same land. The course is probably just as good, but not that memorable you'll spend most of your time wishing you were on the other side of the gorse bushes.
- Most courses will work with you to move your tee time if you win the old course lottery.
- If you get to the last day and still haven't won the lottery, anybody who has to play the Old Course should go out at midnight and stand/sit in line at the course. It's apparently a fun experience...lots of card playing and meeting other Americans in the same situation as you! Either way, spend as much time as you can near the first tee and the shops and bars near there...it's a heavenly experience. If you time it right, you can take a picture on the Swilcan Bridge and nobody will yell at you. Just don't hold up the golfers and nobody will likely care.
- On your driving day (rent cars - driving's not that difficult...especially in these two areas), stop in Edinbugh to see the Edinburgh Castle.
- The rest of the trip, stay in or near North Berwick. Play at North Berwick West Links (36 if you're up for it...you'll definitely want to head right back out there after 18). At least 3 people will decide that this is their favorite course on the trip. If you plan far enough in advance (this March), get teetimes for Muirfield and absolutely play 36 there if you have the time. It comes with a really cool lunch and you play alternate shot as your second 18 holes...from what I've heard, a really unique experience. If you have an extra day, play Gullane No. 1 (although I've heard Dunbar is a blast too).
- If you don't get caddies, always get pull carts (trolleys). Barely anyone carries their clubs there. We did it once and learned our lesson...heading into 40 mph winds on the back 9 while jet lagged and carrying our clubs because we were "too cool" for trolleys almost ended our trip right there!

As @GolfTravelDude mentioned, there are a couple other areas you could choose as well. On a shorter trip that includes the old course, it would be a little tougher to fit the highlands in (Royal Dornoch and Castle Stuart among others), but the west coast is definitely doable and has a lot of the names you'll recognize (Troon, Prestwick, Turnberry). The other area is up by Aberdeen with Royal Aberdeen, Trump International, and Cruden Bay. You can't go wrong with any of them and you'll want to go back as soon as you land back in the states! North Berwick and Royal Dornoch are just my two favorite courses in the world, and I can't imagine a trip without including one of them.

For planning purposes, if you're thinking of Muirfield, that's the teetime you want to get first. Then slot everything else around that time. Hope that helps!

AWESOME!!! Thanks for taking the time.

Renting a car is better from an ease stand point, cost, etc? Any issues with driving on the opposite side? LOL

AWESOME!!! Thanks for taking the time.

Renting a car is better from an ease stand point, cost, etc? Any issues with driving on the opposite side? LOL
I didn't find it too bad...cost-wise it made more sense for us to rent two smaller cars than one van for 4 people and clubs, but YMMV. 2 important things to consider when renting a car:
- If you're driving, don't drink (their BAC limit is much lower than the US), but most places you'll stay have pubs within walking distance.
- Have your passenger tell you to "stay left" on every single turn and roundabout. It really helps!

I fell in love with roundabouts when driving there. They're so much more efficient.

@GolfTravelDude has it right about breaking down Scotland into 4 districts. I go to Ireland 3-5 times a year as my wife's family is there and when I go to Scotland I keep my trips to specific areas. Driving a car takes a bit to get used to it, not so much that you are driving on the wrong side of the road but you are sitting on the wrong side of the car! @BoilerCLE is 100% correct about drinking and driving, just don't! And visit some out of the way pubs, once they realize you are from the US you won't be paying for a beer!

5 days of golf is tough to get around Scotland too much. Your time of year will likely dictate how feasible it is to get on the Old Course (I'm 2 for 2 for the lottery in May, but the summer's not that easy, September is awful and I hear October is tough too because of events). Here's what I recently recommended to a buddy...

- Stay 3 nights in St. Andrews as close to the first tee as possible. Enter the Old Course lottery every day. Do not stay over on a Sunday, as the course is closed, although Thursdays and Saturdays are the best days to win the lottery (Saturdays have double the openings). Also, look at the website to see if there are any events going on those days and avoid if at all possible.
- Schedule Carnoustie, Kingsbarns (if you have the cash) or Crail Balcomie (if you don't), and Elie. At least one person will decide Elie is their favorite course on the trip. If you're worried about not getting on the Old Course, then you can do the New Course on the same land. The course is probably just as good, but not that memorable you'll spend most of your time wishing you were on the other side of the gorse bushes.
- Most courses will work with you to move your tee time if you win the old course lottery.
- If you get to the last day and still haven't won the lottery, anybody who has to play the Old Course should go out at midnight and stand/sit in line at the course. It's apparently a fun experience...lots of card playing and meeting other Americans in the same situation as you! Either way, spend as much time as you can near the first tee and the shops and bars near there...it's a heavenly experience. If you time it right, you can take a picture on the Swilcan Bridge and nobody will yell at you. Just don't hold up the golfers and nobody will likely care.
- On your driving day (rent cars - driving's not that difficult...especially in these two areas), stop in Edinbugh to see the Edinburgh Castle.
- The rest of the trip, stay in or near North Berwick. Play at North Berwick West Links (36 if you're up for it...you'll definitely want to head right back out there after 18). At least 3 people will decide that this is their favorite course on the trip. If you plan far enough in advance (this March), get teetimes for Muirfield and absolutely play 36 there if you have the time. It comes with a really cool lunch and you play alternate shot as your second 18 holes...from what I've heard, a really unique experience. If you have an extra day, play Gullane No. 1 (although I've heard Dunbar is a blast too).
- If you don't get caddies, always get pull carts (trolleys). Barely anyone carries their clubs there. We did it once and learned our lesson...heading into 40 mph winds on the back 9 while jet lagged and carrying our clubs because we were "too cool" for trolleys almost ended our trip right there!

As @GolfTravelDude mentioned, there are a couple other areas you could choose as well. On a shorter trip that includes the old course, it would be a little tougher to fit the highlands in (Royal Dornoch and Castle Stuart among others), but the west coast is definitely doable and has a lot of the names you'll recognize (Troon, Prestwick, Turnberry). The other area is up by Aberdeen with Royal Aberdeen, Trump International, and Cruden Bay. You can't go wrong with any of them and you'll want to go back as soon as you land back in the states! North Berwick and Royal Dornoch are just my two favorite courses in the world, and I can't imagine a trip without including one of them.

For planning purposes, if you're thinking of Muirfield, that's the teetime you want to get first. Then slot everything else around that time. Hope that helps!
A lot of good info here. (y)

Have a blast man! I really want to do a Scotland trip with some dudes focused on golf at some point. I'm going next year and sneaking one round in that was allowed by my wife (doing Royal Dornoch), but as @HarlettoScara said there is an embarrassment of riches over there in great courses and I really want to do a full push on that one day.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate the help

One thing to keep in mind is April to September they have plenty of daylight to get in multiple rounds of golf. I played 36 holes multiple days very easily. Schedule an early round, have some lunch and go play second round. The rounds were also much faster than what I normally play here in California because the sheets aren’t jam packed.

The Old Course is a pretty obvious choice if you can get on but as many will say, it’s not the best course. Jubilee was a great course in my opinion.

Gleaneagles was beautiful. You have your choice of three courses to play. One hosted the Ryder Cup and one just hosted the senior open pretty awesome choices there.

@Browndog just did a trip over there so he might have some insight on other courses for you. As far as driving goes, it’s only weird the first time or two you’re in the car on the road after that it’s pretty simple.

One thing to keep in mind is April to September they have plenty of daylight to get in multiple rounds of golf. I played 36 holes multiple days very easily. Schedule an early round, have some lunch and go play second round. The rounds were also much faster than what I normally play here in California because the sheets aren’t jam packed.

The Old Course is a pretty obvious choice if you can get on but as many will say, it’s not the best course. Jubilee was a great course in my opinion.

Gleaneagles was beautiful. You have your choice of three courses to play. One hosted the Ryder Cup and one just hosted the senior open pretty awesome choices there.

@Browndog just did a trip over there so he might have some insight on other courses for you. As far as driving goes, it’s only weird the first time or two you’re in the car on the road after that it’s pretty simple.
We are planning to do that a couple of times for sure.

Did you use caddies every round?

We are planning to do that a couple of times for sure.

Did you use caddies every round?
I only had a caddie at the Old Course and Gleneagles Centenary Course.

Lots of good info. When there this August we had balloted 4 times twice 2 foursomes and zilch. So we had early tee at New next day and 5 of our 8 slept out. They got in line at 11pm. They were 10/11/12/13/14. Only 3 got to play. And they missed the New and were spent for a day.
I drive but you can't get a unit that holds 8 guys and their stuff. So bus pick and drop and a MB Van seating 8 for the golf trips. Much cheaper than continuous bus use.
With GPS nowadays it's much easier to drive. It's awkward at first but you quickly understand what you gotta do to stay alive.
Played Royal Dornoch and Brora and then everything worth playing down to North Berwick but we didn't have a guaranteed Old round. Aligning that is luck of writing to them or paying up big time. North Berwick is enchanting. Have done the Scottish 36 at Muirfield 3 times. It's a special day. There are so many great places and so little time. 26 trips over and planning my next now. The primary reason I go is that they allow you and me to play their very best places. You can't do that here unless you have a special rolodex. Ha And I pretty much do.....
You must understand that the supply is limited. But the demand thro Covid has increased doublely. So a for instance Yes Muirfield tee times are available over the net. But when they opened March 2022 for 2023 the supply sold out in 48 hours. Every T/Th they have 10 times off front and back with option for 2nd 18 vis alternate shot. Special day.

Has anyone ever used Golf Breaks to plan a trip?

Lots of good info. When there this August we had balloted 4 times twice 2 foursomes and zilch. So we had early tee at New next day and 5 of our 8 slept out. They got in line at 11pm. They were 10/11/12/13/14. Only 3 got to play. And they missed the New and were spent for a day.
Spoke to many people when we were there who were distraught that they went all the way to Scotland and didn't get to play the old course. Some told me they felt like the whole trip was a waste. So you should know that it is possible to get advance guaranteed tee times. Don't know your budget, and it's very expensive, but it can be done. theexperiencestandrews.com is one of the companies that can do it for you.

Just letting you know. Like I said, don't know your budget, but I was not about to leave for Scotland without KNOWING I was playing the old course.

I believe it is something like $2500 through experienceSt.Andrews. I would certainly do it but the other 3 are solid NO's.

The Old Course is the ultimate for sure. However playing Muirfield, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Dumbarnie Links, Elie, Gullane #1 & 2 along with North Berwick-West would certainly ease the pain.

I believe it is something like $2500 through experienceSt.Andrews. I would certainly do it but the other 3 are solid NO's.

The Old Course is the ultimate for sure. However playing Muirfield, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Dumbarnie Links, Elie, Gullane #1 & 2 along with North Berwick-West would certainly ease the pain.
Is that just for the old course? I know ours was a package... Three courses (old, new, and carnoustie), exclusive hotel with breakfast and dinner, and a limo to the course with lunch in the members area at each course. If you want a persuader, tell them if they don't get the old course, they're going to want to go back and they'll blow that much on airfare, with still no guarantee to play the old.

At any rate, hope you love the trip, the classic links courses are all one of a kind experiences.

I have set up a group of 4 for this summer with guaranteed play Old. The way it works is the Old provider requires setting up the entire trip. My guys are paying 11,000 a head for 6 rounds of golf superior lodging and transport. If the Old were removed and replaced with say the New and all else same price would be less than 6000 a head. Guaranteed access is quite limited and there are meny with deep pockets lined up. And candidly the Old is maybe in top 10 of places to play. It's only special in name.
You'll come back and my guess is all will rave about North Berwick. It is just so special. Muirfield day is tough to beat. Kingsbarns is maybe my favorite. Dumbarnie is really nice and adds another to the area that is a must play. Carnoustie is incredible. Elie is under rated and really quite nice. Gullane 1 is over priced and 2 is just as good. Fabulous rotation and not sure I would change anything about the golf played. Enjoy.

Spoke to many people when we were there who were distraught that they went all the way to Scotland and didn't get to play the old course. Some told me they felt like the whole trip was a waste. So you should know that it is possible to get advance guaranteed tee times. Don't know your budget, and it's very expensive, but it can be done. theexperiencestandrews.com is one of the companies that can do it for you.

Just letting you know. Like I said, don't know your budget, but I was not about to leave for Scotland without KNOWING I was playing the old course.
Have played the Old 6 times. Those that speak of wasted trip by not playing Old are just not worth engaging with.

If going on a Scotland golf trip the first and foremost thing to look forward to is the camaraderie and the overall experience.

There are so many good courses besides the Old Course in the St. Andrews area that I would not be concerned at all about the quality of the trip if you are not able to play the Old Course. In the Aberdeen area there are a bunch of wonderful courses as well. Not to mention in Ireland and the rest of the U.K.

What I would be concerned about though is getting in shape for your trip. Many of the courses do not offer golf carts or buggys at all. Those that do have a limited number and you need a legit doctor’s note to arrange them in advance.

Even with a caddy you’ll be walking and playing a lot more than you’re probably used to. Add in travel with jetlag, long waits in airports, multiple layovers, cramped seats and unfamiliar beds and your body ain’t going to be at 100% to start with.

Your clubs might not make it with you. Mine didn’t this past year. You might have to play with rentals that don’t have the same specs as your regular set.

Be prepared with rain gloves and waterproof everything, because you’ll probably be playing in rain, cold and wind for some part of your trip.

Go with the flow and try to enjoy it nevertheless. Otherwise you will be miserable and it won’t matter what course you play.

If I were to do it again I would come early to get acclimated and generally have a more relaxed schedule spread out over a longer period of time. I would ship my clubs over well in advance. I would schedule at least one or two rest days into the itinerary.

You probably aren’t going to be playing your best golf. The courses are likely new to you, links golf might be new to you. Lower your expectations regarding your scores. Match play is the far more common form of recreational golf in Scotland vs. the US playing predominately stroke play. Try it while your there.

Have fun with your buddies and get comfortable with getting out of your comfort zone.

Back