Examples of poor leadership

Expecting much more effort from the team than the leader invests is one that drives me crazy. Statements such as "we do this for the company," but yet it is obvious that it is being done to enrich one person would be another example.

Since I'm still in, I won't share any stories at this time.

There have been some very frustrating times and I take it as a learning opportunity of things not to do in the future.

Same. I have had a run of pathetic leadership the past little bit... I have some stories.

How about leadership that doesn't have direction? One minute they flow with what management wants... then the winds change and management wants you to flow a different direction. It was like being rudderless on a stormy sea. Made things difficult because nothing was ever focused on for more than a minute...

Let's hear some of your stories!

1. Closed a really big deal, the customer invited me out. Manager both took credit and went on the trip.
2. Was told in person that he will not respond to my emails because he does not want it recorded.
3. I talk to my manager about something that should be kept confidential, it 100% of the time gets out to other people.
4. Plays employees against each other.

There is more.

1. Closed a really big deal, the customer invited me out. Manager both took credit and went on the trip.
2. Was told in person that he will not respond to my emails because he does not want it recorded.
3. I talk to my manager about something that should be kept confidential, it 100% of the time gets out to other people.
4. Plays employees against each other.

There is more.
Yeah, I can see those are some bad managers.

Figured this was a good time to bump this thread. There are so many lessons that can be learned from poor leadership and so many poor leaders out there that need to improve their game.

This is a classic! Had this same thing happen to me on the military side. I forget the details because it was 15+ years ago, but I completed a project of some sort and later saw the credit given, word for word, to my supervisor on his annual performance report.

Figured this was a good time to bump this thread. There are so many lessons that can be learned from poor leadership and so many poor leaders out there that need to improve their game.
I guess you didn't get the message in the 139 thread about antagonizing.

Why don't we make this easier for everyone, and you just get it all out on the table so we can move forward?

I guess you didn't get the message in the 139 thread about antagonizing.

Why don't we make this easier for everyone, and you just get it all out on the table so we can move forward?

What're you talking about? This thread has been going for some time. There are many good examples from many different members here. It's actually a great place to learn so that when we are put into leadership positions, we see things from other perspectives. :unsure:

What're you talking about? This thread has been going for some time. There are many good examples from many different members here. It's actually a great place to learn so that when we are put into leadership positions, we see things from other perspectives. :unsure:
You know exactly what I am talking about. So does most of the forum.

It's getting very, very old. Stop.

This thread has to do with THP and nothing else. Just stop it.

Haven't looked at this thread previously.

What i've experienced in business - poor leaders

Talk too much
Don't ask enough questions of their team
Don't include entire team iin effort
Are too insular - don't get feedback or advice from people affected by decisions
Don't Try to get a Buy-In
Can't make decisions or make decisions too quickly when they have time
Don't analyze
Don't look at psychological effect of decisons.
Go with their Gut
Belittle Others
Make Jokes about Team
Think they're right all the time

Could keep going ...

This thread has to do with THP and nothing else. Just stop it.
Well if that’s the case you can scratch my post. It was in regards to my work place and had nothing to do with this forum. I must be missing something.

Well if that’s the case you can scratch my post. It was in regards to my work place and had nothing to do with this forum. I must be missing something.

You're not missing anything. I haven't seen anyone mention THP at all. Sharing stories from workplaces and military experiences. I could go on for days. Given the fact that I'm headed back to work next week and could very well be put into position to use some of this knowledge, I figured it was a great place to bump to get more input.

is this one of those secret society things?

He posts little tid bits you can easily pick up on.
How do you clean your club or ball, I spit on my thp towel, I don’t use my good towel for that..

not posting anymore about it, moving on.

You're not missing anything. I haven't seen anyone mention THP at all.
You got asked to stop criticizing the opinions of THP members in a thread, and immediately bumped this one. You consistently post vague comments that are near or over the line criticizing THP members, the leadership here, and the decisions that cause you to sit in timeout.

Enough. Either put it all out there, or get over it and move forward.

I had one MSgt who just got put in charge of a section and was getting ready to call the police and report a guy AWOL -
absent from one's post but without intent to desert.
"the men have gone AWOL"

A very serious offense.

It took me 30 mins of digging to find out where they were... They were at a doctors appointment, and had let someone in their office know who was supposed to let him know but they didn't.

Jumping to conclusions is a pretty bad one IMO

I had one MSgt who just got put in charge of a section and was getting ready to call the police and report a guy AWOL -
absent from one's post but without intent to desert.
"the men have gone AWOL"

A very serious offense.

It took me 30 mins of digging to find out where they were... They were at a doctors appointment, and had let someone in their office know who was supposed to let him know but they didn't.

Jumping to conclusions is a pretty bad one IMO

Yeah, I've seen similar stuff, but I'm not sure about that crazy. It's different now, as a civilian. Heck, I don't think the union will even let them call us to find out where we are until we're 2 hours late. I got educated on that one once when I called one of my civilian workers because she was 30 minutes late. I mean, I was genuinely concerned. It was out of the ordinary for her to be late and she was livid that I "worried her son" when he answered the call wondering where she was at.

Once when I was a SSgt, I had one MSgt so flustered, he told me, "SSgt, just go home and don't come back." I didn't say a word. I dropped what I was doing and quietly got my cover and walked out of the building. Went home, took a nice 4 hour lunch, went back later and explained to his boss what was said and told him that I was only back because I loved my job because the other MSgt had relieved me of my duty... permanently.

Later that day, I was informed he'd asked a couple of the Airmen that worked with us if they'd seen me. They flat out told him that he told me I could leave and not come back. He was, by all reports, speechless.

Same, there is obviously history here I am not aware of.

I am not sure what is going on here, but I certainly was not directing any comments towards anyone related to THP. I freaking love this place.

Such a multifaceted approach to leadership and communication.
1589088121291.gif

Back