Face Milling: What does it do?

Bettinardi's honey comb is supposed to get the face ultra-flat... "to ensure perfect flatness to within .01 of an inch" from everyhing I've read.

For me milling does change the feel, could be in my head, but it does. I prefer the feel of a deep milled face. Thats just me though.

I would think it would be more quantitative than that. Most milling would reduce the surface area of contact between the club and ball. That area on a putter is so small any reduction would affect the feel at contact.

I would think it would be more quantitative than that. Most milling would reduce the surface area of contact between the club and ball. That area on a putter is so small any reduction would affect the feel at contact.
You could say since that post in 2011 my opinions on face milling have gotten more quantitative, hehe

As has always been my stance, deeper milling reduced surface area contact and that makes the putter "feel" softer at impact.

If you believe the marketing, face milling gives the club a softer feel.

If you believe the marketing, face milling gives the club a softer feel.
Its not marketing, a reduction in surface area impacting the ball absolutely leads to a lower/deeper tone and sensation at impact leaving a "softer" feeling in a milled putter. Nothing marketing about that.

My understanding has always been milling at its core is to ensure a flat clubface. Now, certain techniques in milling also alter feel and sensation.

Back