Facebook....anyone dropping it?

The softball association I’m affiliated with as a coach uses FB exclusively and I need to stay active there so I can’t drop it. Other than that I would drop it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty close to dropping it. Aside from golf gear trade groups, I don't do much on it but it's the easiest way to keep up with distant Army buddies who I otherwise wouldn't communicate with much.

I may do the save and delete thing and see if I miss it at all.

I will probably keep IG as I almost never post and only use it for following golf accounts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have it and will probably keep it, but haven't posted on it in a long while. I use it as kind of a lurker to make sure people are doing alright and having a place where old friends can contact me if they don't have my number.

Dropped it a while back haven’t missed a beat. Only thing I miss is THP contest on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a FB and IG account, but haven’t logged into either of them in a long while. I have thought about deleting them, but then think if I ever did need to find someone on FB, I could.

When you go to delete your account, they give you the option to essentially save everything you've done in FB. I guess, in case you decide you wanna go back. It's all quite easy to do really. I saved off my photos and videos.

Some day I'll wake up and change my mind. Perhaps I'm over-reacting. Dunno.

BTW, I'm not encouraging anyone to leave FB. Was just curious if others were thinking about it.
I'm very, very close to pulling the plug on FB. In order to make all of that money, FB basically doesn't give a damn about anyone's privacy - - everything posted on that site was/is up for sale to the highest bidder. I get that there are tradeoffs in using a free service, but there seem to be stories nearly every day saying that FB lied to regulators about what they did with user's private info!! I don't think you are overreacting at all. Luckily, the only vital info FB can glean from my timeline are dog pictures & sarcastic puns!!

No plans. I still use it to keep up with friends and family who are really unlikely to leave it in favor of something else. In the world of the Internet of Things all connected thru your smartphone, you're already being collected on almost constantly with little control of how that data is shared or analysed.

Insert "This is fine".gif. It's not that I don't care, it's more how much I care is outweighed by how much effort I want to put into changing, knowing that at this point I would be closing the barn door well after the horse has got out.

No plans. I still use it to keep up with friends and family who are really unlikely to leave it in favor of something else. In the world of the Internet of Things all connected thru your smartphone, you're already being collected on almost constantly with little control of how that data is shared or analysed.

Insert "This is fine".gif. It's not that I don't care, it's more how much I care is outweighed by how much effort I want to put into changing, knowing that at this point I would be closing the barn door well after the horse has got out.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about it. And they say the Army and Navy don't get along :wink:.

I just read an article (granted on brobible) that it was data on the messenger app that was accessed, and also about how it would enhance the "people you may know" list, how it pulled from old contacts and such, etc. No wonder I was seeing ads for my old client's mom's chiro practice (I used to have her contact info as client was an adolescent), have connections of former clients, etc. Sketchy stuff

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is EXACTLY how I feel about it. And they say the Army and Navy don't get along :wink:.

I like you guys, 51 weeks out of the year, just like I dislike West Pointers, 51 weeks out of the year.

privacy? security? nothing to hide, right?

I dumped Facebook when I started law school back in 2008. I could not be happier about that decision. I also never added Instagram and deleted Twitter before ever tweeting. So I'm basically off of Social Media. I'm perfectly content with that, especially considering the immense dangers. I mean, how many people need to have their careers ruined because of something they said 10 years ago that was never fully scrubbed from the internet? I get that people don't want to lose contact with their friends and family, but I haven't found that to be a problem. If you want to stay in touch with someone, you will.

I don't plan on dumping it anytime soon but I really don't use it a ton now anyway, mostly to share pictures of the kids with family and to buy/sell stuff. I'm guess I'm not sure there is a place that is safe to use on the web anyway.

I'm hardly on it anymore and I could actually envision it having jumped the shark.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've given some thought to dropping FB. However, I've made a load of music industry contacts there that I wouldn't want to lose. Like others, my activity level has cut way back recently, and I'm more of a lurker these days.

As for the privacy issues, they can only share what you give them.

I'm one of the few that have never been on Facebook. I never felt the need to create an account.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Deactivated mine 6 months ago after seldom use the last few years. I haven't missed it besides checking to see which dogs got adopted at the local animal shelter. Before then it was mostly a time waster just aimlessly scrolling through the feed.

I have never had a Facebook or instagram account and my wife is using Facebook lightly, maybe 15 minutes a week. My adult children use instagram and Snapchat but neither have any interest in Facebook. They and their college age friends don’t use FB and are group texting much more than instagram which makes me believe the growth story for Facebook is over.

I have a Facebook page - that's what they call it, right? - and I may have used it for a total of one hour, all time. That stuff lives forever, and someone who wants to use some of your history as a weapon will, so I try not to provide any ammo. This interwebs thing is a fad, I tell you.

I'll keep it. I have a strong group of friends who use it and I like checking in from time to time to see how they're doing.

I also agree that FB's growth is over. My (young adult) kids tell me that they and all they're friends abandoned FB because us old people have taken it over, LOL...

I have Facebook and will keep it, but I do not frequent it much. With that said, I will frequent Twitter as always. That is my much preferred social media platform.

I like you guys, 51 weeks out of the year, just like I dislike West Pointers, 51 weeks out of the year.

You chose the wrong mos if you dislike west pointers. I swear every day is a reunion of sorts.

I feel like I should weigh in because I'm a FB employee. I'm in the IDC group (international data center). I really don't have my finger on the pulse of goings on at Menlo Park, I'm based out of richmond virginia. I can say with all confidence though, that security is taken very seriously. There are hugh teams dedicated to securing the platform and are constantly building security measures.

I really don't spend much time on my personal account, I just don't have the time or desire anymore. I rarely use instagram. I will spend time on marketplace and messenger though.

I'm interested more in oculus more than anything and I think it will be a big player in the years to come. The "go" is a lot of fun. I see what they are doing with the portal, but I'm not sure it will catch on even though we sell out of them quickly.

I really don't get the feeling that the company doesn't care about the customer at all. The goal has always been to connect people around the world for free and I think it's an admirable goal. Where else can you go to build a business site that exposes your product to billions of people for free where you control the content? Not a lot of options out there.

I see all sides of the story and I understand the frustration. Cyber crimes are performed by very intelligent people who redefine the activity, they invent methods to breakdown security walls daily and there are those who rebuild those walls daily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I feel like I should weigh in because I'm a FB employee. I'm in the IDC group (international data center). I really don't have my finger on the pulse of goings on at Menlo Park, I'm based out of richmond virginia. I can say with all confidence though, that security is taken very seriously. There are hugh teams dedicated to securing the platform and are constantly building security measures.

I really don't spend much time on my personal account, I just don't have the time or desire anymore. I rarely use instagram. I will spend time on marketplace and messenger though.

I'm interested more in oculus more than anything and I think it will be a big player in the years to come. The "go" is a lot of fun. I see what they are doing with the portal, but I'm not sure it will catch on even though we sell out of them quickly.

I really don't get the feeling that the company doesn't care about the customer at all. The goal has always been to connect people around the world for free and I think it's an admirable goal. Where else can you go to build a business site that exposes your product to billions of people for free where you control the content? Not a lot of options out there.

I see all sides of the story and I understand the frustration. Cyber crimes are performed by very intelligent people who redefine the activity, they invent methods to breakdown security walls daily and there are those who rebuild those walls daily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight, but I do believe that the company has been dishonest and does share info without permission. As a physician if I brak HIPPA I can lose my ability to practice, but no conciquences for Facebook. My wife and I both cancelled our profiles.

Back