Facebook....anyone dropping it?

Thanks for the insight, but I do believe that the company has been dishonest and does share info without permission. As a physician if I brak HIPPA I can lose my ability to practice, but no conciquences for Facebook. My wife and I both cancelled our profiles.
Yep, I get that. MZ didn't look at his best in recent months. My post was really meant to address the security hacks that we are famous for. I'm not in anyway trying to dissuade anyone from deleting or stepping away from their accounts. From a consumer perspective, I get it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I rarely use Facebook now, but to be honestly never really had a lot of friends on there anyway so my activity on the site was very limited and really only used it for local news, athletes, companies, etc. What I have been doing a lot is unfollowing people but not unfriending them, so they still are my friends but I can't see what they are up to unless I specifically search for them. For a few of those folks, it's like their Facebook account has turned into a "look at me" mess. I'd rather see what they are up to on my own time, not when Facebook gives me their post in the timeline.

I feel like I should weigh in because I'm a FB employee. I'm in the IDC group (international data center). I really don't have my finger on the pulse of goings on at Menlo Park, I'm based out of richmond virginia. I can say with all confidence though, that security is taken very seriously. There are hugh teams dedicated to securing the platform and are constantly building security measures.

I really don't spend much time on my personal account, I just don't have the time or desire anymore. I rarely use instagram. I will spend time on marketplace and messenger though.

I'm interested more in oculus more than anything and I think it will be a big player in the years to come. The "go" is a lot of fun. I see what they are doing with the portal, but I'm not sure it will catch on even though we sell out of them quickly.

I really don't get the feeling that the company doesn't care about the customer at all. The goal has always been to connect people around the world for free and I think it's an admirable goal. Where else can you go to build a business site that exposes your product to billions of people for free where you control the content? Not a lot of options out there.

I see all sides of the story and I understand the frustration. Cyber crimes are performed by very intelligent people who redefine the activity, they invent methods to breakdown security walls daily and there are those who rebuild those walls daily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't doubt security is taken seriously, but privacy most assuredly isn't. While those two things are intertwined, the company has been deceptive with regards to what they've told users they are doing with data and what they are actually doing. The portal is a good example - based on recent revelations, there is ZERO chance I'd put one of those anywhere near my house.

You mention the "customer" but users aren't customers in the world of Facebook - the partners they're selling out data to are, or the people buying ads. And that's fine, I understand how that works in ad-supported and free services. But IMO Facebook is trying to have it both ways rather than being transparent about what they're doing.

Always remember this kids. Rule 1 of the internet:

If you’re not paying for a service, you are the product.

Which is fine, but understand and be aware.

Facebook is all but irrelevant to me. I don't care what they do with the data that I post on there, short of selling my account info to the highest bidder.

I'm not in the habit of sharing anything on social I don't want the world to see.

Facebook is all but irrelevant to me. I don't care what they do with the data that I post on there, short of selling my account info to the highest bidder.

I'm not in the habit of sharing anything on social I don't want the world to see.

This is pretty much my stance too. I use it to house pictures and videos of the kids and cool memories but thats about it. For the sake of not getting fired in an oversensitive world, I dont post anything on there that I wouldnt comfortably say to my boss

I still have my account but I rarely use it. I am on it maybe a couple times a year to accept all the pictures of our dog that my girlfriend tags me in. I found there was too much negativity and "fakeness" on Facebook and was happier when I would distance myself from it. Maybe one day I'll delete it but for now there isn't anything important on there for me to worry about.

This is pretty much my stance too. I use it to house pictures and videos of the kids and cool memories but thats about it. For the sake of not getting fired in an oversensitive world, I dont post anything on there that I wouldnt comfortably say to my boss

I don't think I am openly available to be found on there unless you're a friend (or maybe a friend of a friend I don't know) but with all that crap that is talked about, I usually avoid those convos on there as well. Too political, and I get wrapped up in it easily hahaha

Back when it first started, Facebook was awesome. Then again, it was the perfect college platform. Now it's just gross, but I cannot eliminate connections with hundreds of people all over this country and Canada. That would suck.

Shortly after signing up on Facebook, I noticed a pretty sizable increase in spam emails and sales calls on my phone. I'd get emails stating " your friend so and so is recommending this product or service to you" Obviously they were getting my email address, phone number, and friends names from Facebook.

Curious, in light of all the recent negative press.....anyone looking to drop out?

I just downloaded my info from FB and deleted my account. I'm keeping my Instagram for now though.

I'm guessing I'll get back into it some day, but for now I'm taking a break.

They already have all my info for eternity. I stopped using it years ago for anything but contests. I do not have the app on my phone. One less app tracking me around town.

I’ve never had Facebook, actually never had any interest in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man those articles are some scary stuff. Unfortunately it’s the world we live in today. Skynet and cyberdine anyone?

Man those articles are some scary stuff. Unfortunately it’s the world we live in today. Skynet and cyberdine anyone?

Yep. It’s creepy, but there is a choice, and you don’t have to use the services. All of these services are optional and can be replaced by others or not used.

I rarely post on FB. But I look at OEMs and golf-related pages

Facebook is a way to keep in touch with my massive -flung family of siblings, cousins and friends. If they are interested in my comments on my grand nieces Halloween princess costume so be it. I don't use my Facebook id to access any other account and don't have it on my phone.

Same here. I use to keep track of family as much as anything, but I did watch a show on TV about FB and I was not impressed about some of the things the show pointed out. Fake news being a big one for me. I block out as much of that BS as possible.

Curious, in light of all the recent negative press.....anyone looking to drop out?

I just downloaded my info from FB and deleted my account. I'm keeping my Instagram for now though.

I'm guessing I'll get back into it some day, but for now I'm taking a break.

Okay, Someone is taking this seriously other than me! God! You know I really don't find people ready to understand that they should drop FB aafter what Zuckerberg did to us. I mean I heard what happened and I dropped it but everyone else were so normal like it didn't matter that information was being sold to someone. You twitter gives companies excess to the emoji data? Like what is up with this. I really think leaving in the woods without technology would havve to be the thing next

Never had it, never will. Like one of my buddies said, if we weren’t close friends for you to have my phone number we probably don’t need to talk.

I must be a trend setter... when I got hit in the iPhone pocket with a golf ball 18 months ago, I never put it on my replacement phone and haven't accessed it since.

For me I just tired of the political BS that everyone posted all the time. Plus the only golf related content was stuff I posted.

I am not particularly fond of FB, however it was through FB that I relocated and got to meet up with some people I lost contact with over the years. Two of those people are people I haven't seen or heard from in 45 years.

I use FB as little as Possible. I keep it for the ease of contacting large groups of people.
I see a lot of coworkers get jammed up due to social media.

Back