Favorite Greens You Have Ever Putt On?

My experience is more limited than many on THP, but for me it is a tie - Wine Valley and Gamble Sands in Washington State. They are large, complex, and generally fast but aren't tricked up, hold approach shots beautifully, and roll very true if you can figure out the line. That's all I ask.

I have to agree. Both Wine Valley and Gamble Sands have fantastic greens to putt on.

The grand golf club Del Mar San Diego.. Amazballs.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Hideaway here. Those greens were fantastic. Harbour Town's were really nice too, and that style of green I'm used to playing up here in the Northeast. Relatively small, not huge undulations, but enough subtlety where you'll get some reads wrong.

I rolled some putts the other day on some crazy good greens and was thinking about the different courses I have been to and played. What are your favorite greens you have ever putt on?
Muirfield Village Golf Club’s greens were beyond description. Smooth, brutally fast - from the wrong side of the hole, but also very, very true. The teeing areas had better grass than some of the greens that I play.

The most memorable were last summer at Twin Warriors outside of Albuquerque. They took some getting used to. When you walked on them, they felt like they were memory foam mattress toppers, but left no footprints. The feeling made you think that they were wet and slow. They weren’t :oops:

Bethpage Black very soon after both Opens. Immaculate.

Kiawah Island Ocean Course. So darn true.

True Blue in Myrtle right after they installed their new greens. They were magnificent.

Locally, Pine Hollow here in Clayton. Amazingly slick, incredibly consistent.

Played there once behind the PGA's Carl Pettersson. Post round we chatted a bit and I asked him how Pine Hollow's greens compare to the typical tour stop.

He said that he targets Pine Hollow to play when in the area, despite the fact that it's a sub 7k yard course, specifically because of the greens.

He said that PH's greens may be just a bit slower than preferred (mind boggling, they're lightening fast AFAIC!!!) but that "nobody would ever complain about them. They're fast, true and consistent from green to green."

Cool.
Not sure. I putted so terribly for my first few years that it was hard to see anything on a green other than hulk rage. Aesthetically I liked Caledonia, True Blue, Bear Creek, and Black Bull. They were all likely the most consistent of courses I have played.
True Blue and Caledonia were the first two that came to mind for me

Scioto Country Club, most pure greens I've ever seen or played.

A guy I used to work with was brothers with the either head or assistant greenskeeper there. There were about 4 Monday’s that he had arranged for me to play with them and we got stormed out each dang time.

As to the original question, I’d have to say Firestone North were as good as it gets for me. They weren’t overly difficult and rolled very true. They were fast but not crazy fast.

I played Muirfield Village once about 20 years ago and those greens are rediculously hard. Sure they rolled good but they’re too much for me.

Anything in Hawaii, but Wailea specifically. I love the lush Bermuda greens that grain with the sun. It makes putting a true thought process from every angle

Loved the greens at Sand Hollow in Utah. They were , and the views of course are ahhhmazing. Also enjoyed the greens at Camelback in Scottsdale.

I liked the greens at Haig Point. Just wished I could have putted as good as Tony Toulon. :rolleyes:

Kinderlou Forest is way up there, but for me Coure D Alene has been the best.

Back