Favorite Hand Held GPS and Why?

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
I had a Golf Buddy World Platinum GPS and really liked it, I'm now looking to replace it and was wondering what you guys are using and what you like about it.

I should note I'm not interested in watches or laser rangefinders.

Mine was the original Callaway Upro......4 seasons of perfect service. Alas, it finally went haywire at the end of this summer. Picked up a Upro MX for cheap and absolutely hate that thing. Callaway's getting out of the GPS business anyway, so i'll be interested to hear everyone's favorite as I'll be in the market for a something new this winter.

I have the Golf Buddy Platinum, what don't like about it? I think it works great. I love that it loads 40,000 golf courses and there is no annual fee.

Have a Garmin G6. Really like it. Battery will get you through roughly 3 long rounds.
The Good:
Start-up takes about a minute.
Updates are roughly quarterly and courses are added and updated regularly, one I played last year had made changes at the start of the season that were updated on the G6 by the beginning of August.
Score keeping and stats are available and you can go score only or drive direction strokes and putts which will output fairways and greens hit, total putts, time taken and distance travelled at the end of the round.
You can track shot distance by club as well.
Layup arcs/distances are available and you can calculate yardage from where you are to a specific yardage or to a hazard.

The Bad:
Not legal for handicap rounds. (because of the measure function.)

New Garmin models have all the same features with bigger screens, bluetooth connectivity and they calculate distance for uphill downhill shots which also make them illegal for handicap rounds have bigger screens. One has a pointer to point to the centre of the green for the directionally challenged golfer to find his way back to the hole in play.

Thanks Froop. Does it have a touch screen so you can see the distance to a lay up or a targets feature to the front and back of hazards and traps.

So does that mean the Callaway GPS I have will no longer work at some point?
Mine was the original Callaway Upro......4 seasons of perfect service. Alas, it finally went haywire at the end of this summer. Picked up a Upro MX for cheap and absolutely hate that thing. Callaway's getting out of the GPS business anyway, so i'll be interested to hear everyone's favorite as I'll be in the market for a something new this winter.

So does that mean the Callaway GPS I have will no longer work at some point?

It will still work, but you won't be able to update it after this year.

I have the Garmin watch S1. It's ok and I'm looking to get the bushnell xps

Im on my 3rd app, and so far I think it's by far and away the best of the three
Swing By Swing (I paid for the upgrade bc I dislike advertisements).
I golfed with a friend on Sat who had a laser, and my GPS was just as accurate, but way faster.

Swing By Swing

I have tried multiple apps and a few handhelds from some friends, but I have not found anything that I like better or is easier to use than my garmin watch. I will take the watch over a handheld anytime.

mines is the garmin g3 approach https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports/golfing/approach-g3/prod85255.html.
Not sure if you can get it in the states. I prefer it over my sky caddie as its waterproof, can clip to my golf bag, it takes 2 AA batteries and lasts about 4 rounds on them so don't have to worry about charging as I carry spare batteries. Updates are free and gives me all my distances including hazard and gives a graphic view of the hole.

I had a Golf Buddy World Platinum GPS and really liked it, I'm now looking to replace it and was wondering what you guys are using and what you like about it.

I should note I'm not interested in watches or laser rangefinders.

I have what you have and love it. Had it at least three years (I think) with no plans on changing right now.

mines is the garmin g3 approach https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports/golfing/approach-g3/prod85255.html.
Not sure if you can get it in the states. I prefer it over my sky caddie as its waterproof, can clip to my golf bag, it takes 2 AA batteries and lasts about 4 rounds on them so don't have to worry about charging as I carry spare batteries. Updates are free and gives me all my distances including hazard and gives a graphic view of the hole.

I have the same one, I use rechargeable AA batteries to get a little longer battery life. I love it.

- can use touch screen to check layup points and find forced carry distances
- can zoom in on the green and move the pin around to help with gauging distances

Has anyone tried the Golfnow's GPS?

I have what you have and love it. Had it at least three years (I think) with no plans on changing right now.

Yeah I'm in an odd situation so I thought I would see what others have. It really is a nice unit and I just might go that way again.

I really like the simplicity and speed of my Bushnell Neo XS watch. Yardages are right there at a glance, and it will measure shot distances easily. Press another button and distances to hazards and such are right there too.

Back