Favorite winemakers and wines

TR Eliot has some awesome Pinot noirs..

v sattui syrahs, ports, and whites... Their wines tend to be a bit sweeter

Cakebread... Can't go wrong with anything I've had so far from these guys

Very little known winery called Failla from Napa Valley is my favorite. Ehren Jordan, the winemaker for Turley Wines, is the owner of Failla. I would recommend a the Syrah from there. Have won several awards for it.

And like DL said, can't go wrong with Cakebread!

I work for a distributor in Indiana surprised no mention of Washington state wines. Columbia Crest is really putting out some great juice from the 5.99 2 vines to the Indian Wells tier. Also speaking of prices I think Indiana is pretty reasonably priced for all wines being that it is not a control state.

http://www.alexandrianicolecellars.com/ is WA state :smile:
Sagelands is another WA state winery to look for.

I had a great wine last night called Tera Valentine, its a Cab Sav and was great with fish and a chocolate desert.

I had a great wine last night called Tera Valentine, its a Cab Sav and was great with fish and a chocolate desert.

Have you made it up to the King George area, there is a little winery called Oak Crest off of highway 218. Checked it out when I first moved here. It was a neat little place, but the history around there is even better. Just a neat experience place to try new wine and learn a little more history of this country.

I haven't had enough experience with wines yet, but now I live in Virginia's wine country so hopefully me and wife will be able to get out and try some new wines. My experience though so far has been fun really, we did a mountain hike one year and at the end of the hike was a winery. Went in and learned alot about the place then bought a couple bottles. Great little experience for us.

Have you made it up to the King George area, there is a little winery called Oak Crest off of highway 218. Checked it out when I first moved here. It was a neat little place, but the history around there is even better. Just a neat experience place to try new wine and learn a little more history of this country.

I have not been to that winery but I have family that owns Ingleside vineyards in King George.

Tap-in Talking

I am a fan of Kunde Estates

Kongfrontation

I have not been to that winery but I have family that owns Ingleside vineyards in King George.

Tap-in Talking

That's cool, we are going to try and make it over there. I think they have some Fall Festival type event coming up don't they. We are going to take the kids over there and check it out.

That's cool, we are going to try and make it over there. I think they have some Fall Festival type event coming up don't they. We are going to take the kids over there and check it out.

I'm not sure. I haven't been there in ages.

Tap-in Talking

I am a fan of Kunde Estates

Kongfrontation

I had their 2007 reserve cab sav with some meaty small plates a couple weeks ago. I would give it a B+. It had a bit too much of a spice at the end, but was OK other than that. I Would like to try an older year when the grapes were a bit better, or perhaps some of their latest stuff.

Tonight we paired west coast oysters with this wine. I am not typically a big fan of blancs, but this pairs well.

e2f286bc.jpg

I'm lucky to live in an area that is surrounded by great local wineries and can normally get cleanskins at local markets relatively cheap. I normally have about 20-30 cleanskins in my cellar that I sort into two piles... white and red. Too hard to keep track of what is in them so I just grab whatever takes my fancy.
As far as specific brands go it is hard to go past a bottle of penfolds. I specifically like penfolds St Henri Shiraz and the Penfolds Bin 707. I have a few bottles of Penfolds Grange in the cellar. Oldest one is a 1962. The Grange is 'ok' but in my opinion it isn't as great as the price tag. I mainly keep them to collect as they only increase in value.

Funny wine story. I have a friend who has one of the most impressive private wine collections anyone is likely to see (unless your some millionaire or something). He had bottles from all over the world including some french champagne from the 1800's (he has a whole case of something from the 1800's that isn't champagne too). He estimates the collection is worth about $250,000 and he is not only a collector but occasionally on a very special occasion he will crack open a bottle that could be worth thousands.
A couple of years ago we had a flash flood in our area. My friends house is close to the river. We had very little warning and he worked very quickly to put his aircon on as low as possible and bring up his collection into a dark room upstairs. He managed to save all the really expensive wines but he wasn't quick enough to save everything. once the flood waters went down we went into the cellar, there were some bottles that had broken and some that were completely fine but for the most part these bottles were fine except that the water had washed off all the labels. Now according to my friend he cannot account for about 20 bottles of wine that cost more than $500. There are about 100 bottles of wine with no labels on them now in his cellar. As a result when we have dinner with him and he cracks open a bottle none of us know if it is a cheap $20 bottle from the local liqour store or a $500 from the south of France. Makes it interesting when tasting the wine and it actually makes you try to taste it more I think.

Back