Federal Circuit Holds Titleist's New Balls Infringe, Halts Production

worst_shot_ever

I leave big divots
Reaction score
Just saw this in a legal bulletin to which I subscribe:

Federal Circuit Holds Titleist's New Balls Infringe, Halts Production
Fairfax, Virginia

A stunning development in the long-running patent infringement suit between two popular producers of golf equipment, Titleist (Fortune Brands, Inc. (NYSE: FO)) and Callaway Golf Company (NYSE:ELY): the Federal Circuit, the appellate court charged with review of all patent claims, issued an order this morning blocking production of the company's newly-released 2009 Pro V1 and V1x golf balls. Titleist had touted its 2009 model as its answer to the adverse decision it suffered last year that Titleist infringed several production processes on which Callaway held patents. The new ruling obligates Titleist to halt production of its 2009 line of Pro V1 and V1x balls immediately, to remove all infringing balls from retail circulation, and further to remit to Callaway the net value of all profits Titleist and its parent company, Acushnet, have received to date as a result of the sale of its infringing balls.

Neither Titleist nor Callaway have issued a statement about the ruling, which was handed down in a opinion released earlier this morning. When reached for comment, however, a spokesman for Titleist, Erik J. Barzeski, stated that the decision was being reviewed by the company's legal team. When asked about the ramifications of the adverse decision, Mr. Barzeski said "no effect at all," and indicated that Titliest would "simply build a better mouse trap, again." "Callaway sucks," he added.

(c) West Thompson Legal Bureau
Dateline: Apr. 1, 2009

That is hysterical.

you got me, heh

Well, funnier than Ted Stevens.

have not laughed that hard in a long time, awesome.

Ugh. Don't even start!

It was kind of snarky. Sorry, rough day. Sometime though, I'd love to have a serious conversation about working environs under different administrations. I'm sure we each have our stories.

F'ing hilarious.

You need to read your morning internet newspaper feed, Harry.

LOL...good one. I was actually hoping it was true.

Oh my goodness that is HILARIOUS!

Somehow that should be posted at "other" forums.

Somehow that should be posted at "other" forums.

I could do it because for one I don't care about my account over there. And two I already screwed myself over with my supposed accusatory post and stuff.

Im not saying to do it, I just think it would be funny.

Im not saying to do it, I just think it would be funny.

I know, it would be pretty funny. I wanna see, not only Erik's reactions, but the rest of his Titleist "staffers."

I've got no beef with him and still visit the other place from time to time. I just thought it would be a funny way to wrap up the joke. I would hope he'd get a kick out of it. That said, I don't know that it's worth finding out. :>

I've got no beef with him and still visit the other place from time to time. I just thought it would be a funny way to wrap up the joke. I would hope he'd get a kick out of it. That said, I don't know that it's worth finding out. :>

Somehow I don't think he would like it too much, doesn't seem like he has a sense of humor.

I saw no harm in it either. However I would tend to agree with MO.

The bad part is it would have been even more funny there. I'm sure some of those guys would have believed that he was a spokesman for the company.lol

He's not?

Back