Finau's Top 10 Record

And he makes the kind of living most of us would like to make. I don't know much about him, but I guess you start wondering about his competitive fires. I like the guy. Want him to break through.
According to PGA Tour stats, his career earnings are just over $21.2 mil. He might not have a lot of trophies, but that’s an impressive collection of Benjamins. I’m not sure what criteria would label that unsuccessful. That’s a walking, talking, living, breathing ATM.

What club did he use for that shot into 18 that came up short and got wet? Looked like a hybrid. Was it enough club or did he miss-hit it?

According to PGA Tour stats, his career earnings are just over $21.2 mil. He might not have a lot of trophies, but that’s an impressive collection of Benjamins. I’m not sure what criteria would label that unsuccessful. That’s a walking, talking, living, breathing ATM.

Particularly given the relatively short window that he earned that in.

I don't think there is a problem with him whatsoever. He is absolutely the BEST journeyman golfer on tour. Yes professional golf is a competition, but what we sometimes forget is that this is those athletes business. What he has is the making of a long term and successful career/business by not only making cuts, but placing that high consistently among the top people in the world playing golf. He is honestly great for the game.

Let's put it in prospective. Think of your job and what it would take you to be in the top 20% world wide. Now, make your job a private business where you're performance is the only way to make money for the business and out of that you have to foot the bill for every expense needed for you and your team to do your job. I think a lot of people forget that. This is an individual sport where there is no team management and you are just an employee. There is a TON more than just going out there playing golf.
I would guess a lot of us are in the top 20% at our profession. I definitely am and I am nothing special. PGA Tour Pros are in the top .01% at their profession.

Also I am calling it here. Finau gets his first win this week at the Waste Management and wins at least 1 more event this year.

I would guess a lot of us are in the top 20% at our profession. I definitely am and I am nothing special. PGA Tour Pros are in the top .01% at their profession.
Aw shucks you’re special to us! But I agree, it was an eye opener for me going from being one of the best local athletes and then being one of the top 20 in the state before going to college and realizing I wasn’t even remotely competitive at that level. Tony is clearly at the top of the ladder worldwide, but it is curious he hasn’t broken through to get that second win.

What’s mind boggling for me is that usually to get himself in contention he has a -7 or better round. So it’s not like he doesn’t have the firepower to put together a slam the door round. Clearly he has a bad case of the yips especially with the putter in final rounds. 2 3 putts on the back 9 yesterday to take himself out of it. But even with the putter trouble you think he’d still be able to pull out one of these tournament chances with a 65 or better. He is able to put it to 10 feet or less on plenty of holes the announcers say are impossible to get close to. The talent is oozing. He needs a mental plan to handle the pressure when he is putting on these late situations.

He made an adjustment with the putter - more space - and it looks better. Too bad about those two 3-putts though.

What club did he use for that shot into 18 that came up short and got wet? Looked like a hybrid. Was it enough club or did he miss-hit it?

I believe that was an iron he used. A January 2021 WITB as of the American Express for him indicates that he carries a Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 iron . I know that in the American Express the commentators were specifically talking about how well he hit it. And it looks like the club he hit into 18 yesterday.

I believe that was an iron he used. A January 2021 WITB as of the American Express for him indicates that he carries a Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 iron . I know that in the American Express the commentators were specifically talking about how well he hit it. And it looks like the club he hit into 18 yesterday.

I thought one of them said it came off low but to me it looked like he hit it flush. It's perplexing.

I don't know that I agree with that. His consistency stands out. Finau is ranked 20th in the world that is pretty special. I agree he seems to be lacking something to close but not to pick on Homa is closer to not talented enough to stand out. Homa flashes into contention occasionally, keeps his card and if the planets align can get a win. Finau is consistently in the top 10 and is an ATM. To me that stands out.
36 Top Ten finishes in the last four years (35 as of Canadan’s OP, plus he was T2 in the Farmer’s this weekend) would say otherwise. Dude is a baller, he just can’t deal the coup de grace on Sundays.

Did you guys even read what I said? I said he is very consistent. No doubt. But he lacks that "je ne sais quoi" to win regularly on the PGA.

I believe Kuchar was like that when he started out. Very consistent always earned lots of money, but did not win much until he got older. In fact, from 2001 to 2008, he only won once, and then he got hot and won a bunch of tournaments from 2009-2014.

Did you guys even read what I said? I said he is very consistent. No doubt. But he lacks that "je ne sais quoi" to win regularly on the PGA.

I believe Kuchar was like that when he started out. Very consistent always earned lots of money, but did not win much until he got older. In fact, from 2001 to 2008, he only won once, and then he got hot and won a bunch of tournaments from 2009-2014.

This is your post "He is just not that talented as one would think. He is very consistent, but is not talented enough on the PGA stage to stand out. "

I read your post and I disagree with it. I argue that what he has done does stand out. If you want to say he isn't talented enough to win it would be hard to argue but I do believe that will change. Finau has obviously shown an issue with closing. I don't think you can say he doesn't have enough talent to stand out. Finau's consistency stands out. I think comparisons to CH3 are unfair to Finau. Finau is consistently on the leader board in all kind of tournaments and is regularly in contention. He hasn't shown he can close and might never but he is way above average on tour.

I feel like we are a bit unnecessarily harsh. The guy is remarkably consistent. I honestly do no think this is a closing issue. It is not like he blows up on Sundays. Yesterday he shot -3. He had a 74 on Saturday but conditions were tough and there were a lot of high scores.

He will win, it just has not happened..

Another Top 10 finish. He just can't seem to get over the hump.

I feel like we are a bit unnecessarily harsh. The guy is remarkably consistent. I honestly do no think this is a closing issue. It is not like he blows up on Sundays. Yesterday he shot -3. He had a 74 on Saturday but conditions were tough and there were a lot of high scores.

He will win, it just has not happened..

It’s not a complete blow up, but the better chance of winning he has on Sunday the worse he plays it seems. The damning performances are the biggest tournaments. 2018 US Open, 2019 masters, 2018 WGC-HSBC, 2020 Waste Management. Then last week at the American Express it felt like he should be able to shake off some nerves being a smaller tourney but he still looked shaky.

If you are in the lead or in 2nd heading into the final round, even par can’t be good enough even if it isn’t a total choke.

I don't question the drive or toughness of a guy who dislocates his ankle in the Par 3 at Augusta, sets it back into place himself on the course, and proceeds to notch a Top Ten in The Masters that weekend. That week made me forever a Finau fan.

Finau finishes second in The Saudi International with bogey bogey birdie finish to miss out by 2.
Man I just want this guy to break this spell and open the floodgates!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

This was a tough one, because he was right there down the final stretch and bogeyed 2 of the last 3 holes.

Back