First Impressions: Callaway Rogue ST Max

Campbell Toe

AKA Campbell Toe
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Well it’s that time of year again. If you are a golfer (and why else would you on this site, maybe reading this thread) you know we are about to become bombarded with brand new equipment. It’s when we flood our local golf stores and golf clubs to get the opportunity to spend some time with the equipment we have our hearts set on purchasing.

I sure there are a few out there like me who tend to purchase blindly. We base our decisions on what we read/listen to and what we have used in the past. Yeah I have a bad habit of not getting fitted. Unfortunately, the Fresno area kind of sucks (yeah insert all the jokes here) when it comes to finding a legit place to get fitted into golf gear. I like shopping at Roger Dunn’s but their fitting process is lame and Dicks isn’t any better. So I buy untested and will deal with the results.

I had planned to purchase a TaylorMade Stealth Plus driver. Even pre ordered it on TM’s website. I stopped in at Roger Dunn’s over the weekend to browse. Walked by the driver display and couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that they had the new line of Rogue ST drivers in stock. Didn’t think they were being release until the first part of February, but here they were.

Picked up the Max and the Max LS. Was pleasantly surprised in how much I enjoyed the new paint scheme and how they sat next to a ball. Was not expecting to have this much interest in the Rogue this year as I just did not care for the Epic Speed or the LS version from last year. Didn’t make a decision at this time (it was actually today that i made the purchase) but all weekend long all I kept thinking about was how much I really like the look of the Max.

I spent the last couple of days doing some online research and the most common theme I kept finding was how forgiving across the face the Max was. The Ping G425 Max is considered last years most forgiving driver and there is a lot of buzz going around that the Rogue ST Max is as good, and in some opinions, better than the Ping. So I bought into the hype…

B7A4C58C-35C5-4607-9527-FC9593EB69D5.jpeg13ED9550-E208-4361-B739-CB2FCE96EDD8.jpegDBFBCAA4-A2F4-4546-A088-12B80D0C92E4.jpegB32335F1-649B-4F9E-A445-796BE4E751E4.jpeg05F54204-5EE4-415F-8C12-B5988056A863.jpeg

Is it crazy for a person to buy a driver just for the
head cover? Seriously, I think this thing is great. Love the #1. No I didn’t buy it just for the head cover, but I did feel like I got something extra out of the purchase of a driver.

I won’t get a chance to use this bad boy until this Friday when I make a trek over to the central coast to play at Hunter’s Ranch in Paso Robles. I am going to put it toe to toe with my current gamer, a Mizuno ST-Z. I really like this driver, so it’s going to take a good showing from the Rogue ST Max to make me think about replacing the Mizuno. Guess we’ll have to see.

To be continued…

Hunter Ranch will be a good test for the ST Max. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Probably the ST Max 3 wood. I'm upgrading Driver this year too but I'm waiting to see info on the STZ 220 and the new TE driver before making any big stick purchases.

can't wait to hear your thoughts on this...TM shipped my Stealth so i am hoping against all my previous experience with FretEx this past year that i get it within a week.

Driver looks like a bomber. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on it!

From pure looks, the only thing I can find that might be a slight negative would be that it does sit ever so slightly closed. I am really going into this with an open mind as any type of closed face gives me the heebie jeebies. I know this is to help promote a slight draw for the user, so I am really going to try and not focus on it and just pay attention to the wonderful paint job that Callaway provided us this year.

From pure looks, the only thing I can find that might be a slight negative would be that it does sit ever so slightly closed. I am really going into this with an open mind as any type of closed face gives me the heebie jeebies. I know this is to help promote a slight draw for the user, so I am really going to try and not focus on it and just pay attention to the wonderful paint job that Callaway provided us this year.

that might be good for someone like me

that might be good for someone like me

They had the Stealth yesterday in stock. I’ll be honest when I say I think I am glad I am holding off for now. I did not care for the look of the regular Stealth. The Sim Max /Sim2 Max already had the irregular looking head. Where the bottom of the face protrudes into eyesight when lined up to a ball. To me, it really stand out and is slightly offputing. I should have snapped a picture.

They had the Stealth yesterday in stock. I’ll be honest when I say I think I am glad I am holding off for now. I did not care for the look of the regular Stealth. The Sim Max /Sim2 Max already had the irregular looking head. Where the bottom of the face protrudes into eyesight when lined up to a ball. To me, it really stand out and is slightly offputing. I should have snapped a picture.

I made my bed. Now I'll lie in it :ROFLMAO:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

The tech looks incredible.
I wonder if I can just sit in the cart and send the driver onto the tee box to do its thing on its own?

I made my bed. Now I'll lie in it :ROFLMAO:
I’m sure it’s fine and will work perfectly for you. I may revisit it later in the year. Just for that day, my OCD said “that ain’t going it work for you”. So I went in a different direction. When it comes to drivers, I haven’t kept one all season in over a dozen years. Yeah I’m anal!

Looking forward to your on course feedback, Tim!

This awesome thread provided me the inspiration to do something on my own.
I’m glad you did. The Granddaddy guys were comped and fit like Tour Pros. You’re giving us the Everyman “off the rack” point of view.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: JB
I’m glad you did. The Granddaddy guys were comped and fit like Tour Pros. You’re giving us the Everyman “off the rack” point of view.

Who knows, I may flame out with this. I was just looking to provide some feedback on a new club. We are asked to be active and this is one of the ways I want to try and participate.

Who knows, I may flame out with this. I was just looking to provide some feedback on a new club. We are asked to be active and this is one of the ways I want to try and participate.
I think a lot of people will be interested in following this, and how it works for you.
I wish you well, it’s a great looking club!

I think a lot of people will be interested in following this, and how it works for you.
I wish you well, it’s a great looking club!
Like I kind of mentioned before, I was not expecting to look at Callaway this year. I did not like anything in regards to last years models. I was pretty turned off. That could still be my response after I get out and hit some balls, but I'm not expecting that. I am currently gaming a Mizuno ST-Z and I love it. So people I play with ask, "why would you buy something else when you are hitting your current so well". For one, while I am more consistent, like every other golfer, you think there is something even better. That magic elixir is still out there somewhere and I am on a quest to waste money and find it. Not really looking to waste money, but golf really is my only hobby at my age and I thoroughly enjoy it. I just like trying new equipment and I can't stand pat. Been doing it this way for 15 years. Probably one of the reasons I am not a very good golfer, but it's my vice.

Like I kind of mentioned before, I was not expecting to look at Callaway this year. I did not like anything in regards to last years models. I was pretty turned off. That could still be my response after I get out and hit some balls, but I'm not expecting that. I am currently gaming a Mizuno ST-Z and I love it. So people I play with ask, "why would you buy something else when you are hitting your current so well". For one, while I am more consistent, like every other golfer, you think there is something even better. That magic elixir is still out there somewhere and I am on a quest to waste money and find it. Not really looking to waste money, but golf really is my only hobby at my age and I thoroughly enjoy it. I just like trying new equipment and I can't stand pat. Been doing it this way for 15 years. Probably one of the reasons I am not a very good golfer, but it's my vice.

I think you will find a lot of people just like you. That's the only way I can explain the new equipment that comes out each and every year and the sales that the big OEM's are making. I hope no one is listening, but I do exactly what you do. I change equipment way too often and if I get it and don't like it, I put it in my up-for-trade pile. I'd sell it, but I don't need the money and more than happy with the trade-in value. Just ordered a bunch of new stuff yesterday that I'm sure I will be disappointed with... at least some of it.

I’m about 5 holes in and this driver is legit. Sound is perfect to me. Have more later.

Excited for your thoughts. I also have the ST-Z so a head to head comparison from a real world golfer definitely interests me.

Through nine and this so far has been a very solid driver. It definitely is a touch draw biased, which is fine by me. The slightly closed toe hasn’t bothered me like I thought it might. Really solid distance. The feel and sound is something else.

Had the Callaway Rogue ST Max out today for a round at a course that was a couple of hours away, Hunter's Ranch in Paso Robles Ca. We got a late start getting there, so by the time we arrived, we only had about 10 minutes to warm up which wasn't what I was planning on. I grabbed the Max and a golf glove and ran down hill to the range to hit as many range balls as I could. When I arrived at the range, I realized I forgot to throw some tees in my pocket, so I wasted about 2 of my 10 minutes looking for a tee to use.

The Max I purchased came with a Tensei Blue 65S. I really wanted the White, but the Max's that Roger Dunn had, none were with the white Tensei. I was a little concerned as the one time I have been fitted, it was with a low launch, low spinning shaft. I know the Tensei Blue is a mid launch and maybe not the best suited for me but I went ahead and used it.

I hit a total of about 10 balls before I needed to head up to the 1st tee. The first thing I noticed was that even with the 65S shaft, the Max really felt light in hand and even lighter when swinging it. All ten hits were either straight or a very slight draw. They had a mid height trajectory which was surprising as I was expecting that I might sky some, but this did not happen. Distance wise, I was pretty blown away. I have played Hunter's Ranch probably 10 times now and I was putting drives in spots I had never hit before. I had one that almost ran out into the tall stuff at the end of the range. I wish I had brought my bag down as it had my range finder in it and could have gotten an idea on distance, oh well and on to the 1st tee.

Only pulled driver on 9 tee boxes as Hunter's Ranch has a lot of fairway run outs and dog legs. Shortest drive was 251. Longest was 307with the hole was slightly down sloped, but put in a spot I had never hit before. Plan on playing Sunday at my home course were I am a lot more familiar with landmarks and were my ball has been before.

I absolutely love the sound that the Max makes when struck. May be the best sounding driver I have personally ever played. Also the feel that comes off is so soft. It's hard to describe. It's almost like hitting a Mizuno forged iron. Just soft and buttery, this driver almost feels like that. Really like it.

Had a couple of push fades. Couple of slight, pully draws and the other 4 or 5 were pretty much straight or had a ever slight draw to it. This is a fun driver to hit. Look forward to working with it some more.

Back