First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Apex Pro 21s today were absolutely on point. Really can't say enough good things about them. A few highlights from today:
#4 - AW from 124 to 10 ft
#6 - PW from 137 to 3 ft
#9 - 7i from 168 in fairway bunker. Pin was tucked far right and shot is all carry over water - landed soft 10 ft left of the stick.
#11 - 6i from 185ish. Had to rip a slinging hook from the rough out to the right and then back left over some trees. Hit it greenside.
#13 - 9i from 157 to 3 ft.
#16 - 9i from 147 to 10 ft.
#17 - 6i from 197 hole high just off the green

These things feel amazing and I'm finding distance control is effortless. Right now my miss is a straight high block to the right - which I'm perfectly comfortable with.

The negative - hit ONE shot on the range with my AW and caught it out on the toe before I was warmed up. Big rash on the satin finish outside the grooves. The finish on these is awfully weak. It's terrible. Maybe after a few months when they're more scarred up it won't bother me, but right now It hurts.

From what I see in the picture it looks like that toe rash is mostly dirt.
Has the club been vigorously cleaned ???

Saw another guy in our game is playing the new Apex now, he had the same thoughts on the finish.

Are these finish issues limited to the Pro's ???

Quick follow up. Here's the AW after 2 rounds and a half dozen shots on the range. Maybe its just been too long since I've paid for new irons, but that rash on the toe after 1 bad strike hurts.
View attachment 9008157

I feel like the finish on my MB's is not very durable. After my first round & range session after, I had "love marks" on just about all the irons from sand.

I have the regulars.

Happens with the regular Apex too? The finish on my CF16 held up really well. So did the finish on my ‘18 XForged UT. Similar finishes both very durable.

This new finish on the pro scratches and scuffs very easily. Most of it for me has been bag chatter.

I hit a ton of really nice shots with my Apex 21 irons yesterday and many where the forgiveness of the heads saved me. I caught one low and towards the toe which still got up in the air and landed on the green. With previous irons that shot was much lower and ended short of the green

This weekend was my worst ball striking weekend since putting the Apex DCBs in the bag. GIR of 39% & 33% respectively, but I’m still surprised how long and forgiving they are.

On Saturday, I only hit 3 FIR, but was still able to hit 7 GIR. These irons are helping meditate disaster before everything breaks down when you don’t have it...

Happens with the regular Apex too? The finish on my CF16 held up really well. So did the finish on my ‘18 XForged UT. Similar finishes both very durable.

This new finish on the pro scratches and scuffs very easily. Most of it for me has been bag chatter.

I'm still using my CF16's until the CDB's arrive. The finish on my CF16's is similar to yours which is mostly bag chatter. To me... bag chatter give the irons some character... not so with the rash marks. Somewhat disappointing to hear about this type of wear.

Just built this Nahhhsti Perro!!!

9F58A8B8-F26B-42DD-B9DA-E85D7DDDB98B.jpeg45801630-568D-4100-9913-A7E75B7B8D61.jpeg1BE1DCAA-B361-41DA-A644-0CE192F69E83.jpeg

Anybody know what Callaway iron (6 or 7) is in the fitting carts? I might next rainy day go down and compare my Forged CF19 to the Forged CF 21.

Anybody know what Callaway iron (6 or 7) is in the fitting carts? I might next rainy day go down and compare my Forged CF19 to the Forged CF 21.
My fitter had a 6 iron, but PGA Superstore had a 7 iron.

I just came off of an absolute smoke show of a range session. My focus was curing my driver woes. But, I did hit quite a few 7 irons. The stuff I am working on is helping all aspects of my bag. Just love love love the feel and performance of my Apex TCB.

Just shot the daylights out of a swamped 7400 course, and it's nice to see @radiman in here showing some love for his TCB's, because they were amazing. I'm totally infatuated. I got a few shots on video, and I've mentioned how they really sing. They're soft and uniquely cavity-ish, but feel dense too, and it's delicious. I normally do a cut up of sound clips, and I've been meaning to, but I doubt I'll get any better example than this one today. It was spooky quiet at that moment.

Just shot the daylights out of a swamped 7400 course, and it's nice to see @radiman in here showing some love for his TCB's, because they were amazing. I'm totally infatuated. I got a few shots on video, and I've mentioned how they really sing. They're soft and uniquely cavity-ish, but feel dense too, and it's delicious. I normally do a cut up of sound clips, and I've been meaning to, but I doubt I'll get any better example than this one today. It was spooky quiet at that moment.

Now that’s a sweet takeaway, beautiful shot.

I played in my 9 hole league last night and hit 6 GIR. The ones which missed were just off. On a par 3 over water i was the only one who hit the green and was 12ft from the pin. I should have taken a picture of the strike mark as it was way out towards the toe (half on the shiny part past the grooves). These are performing fantastic for me!

Man, what a swing.

What can I say. If I do my part, these just flat out perform. I'm hitting my old distances, plus some. I'm already at that point where I feel like I can get away with more. Like, hand me some Apex MBs, I've got this. It's just so much more fun to be hitting irons shots as well as I know I should be able to. Need to stretch this 7i out a few yards? No problem. Need to hook this 8i over this tree and around that bunker? No problem. Need a low runner to get back into position? No problem.

They're fantastic.

This thread has really died down the last couple of days...
My update.. I bought a stock set of Pros with the the MMAs 85 regular flex shafts to compare to my Combo set with Recoil Dart regular flex shafts. After doing some testing I decided that I really do need the extra distance of the Combo set.
After a few weeks of testing I decided to use the Trade In Trade up that Callaway offers. I thought the trade in value was great and they gave me free shipping on my trade! I ordered the regular Apex Aw thru 8 iron and the 5 DCB iron all with the recoils Dart regular flex shaft. Looking forward to comparing the 8 thru AW to the Pros In the Combo set.
Hopefully the wait won’t be too long.

Back