First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

You guys make it difficult to stick with a Plan, y'know :ROFLMAO:
That depends on what your plan is. If it's to be an equipment junkie, then you're in the right place haha.

Guess who's local golf store still doesn't have new Apex heads to try out...

Ok, I am completely smitten with the Pros now. Only concern is the fact that the 2019 Pros seemed to be significantly longer than the 2016 Pros I had. Assuming the 21's will be comparable to the 19's. I am fine with the help in the longer irons. But, am kind of contemplating the Players combo. Make sure my scoring irons are getting as much spin as possible.

@OldandStiff have you had a chance to hit these yet? If so, how did the feel compare to the Apex MB's you have?
Yeah, I've hit them a bunch now, and ordered 4-6 to match with my MB's right at the opening bell. I like the feel paired with the MB's. It's more solid than I would have initially guessed for a hollow body. They look, feel, and sound pretty good together imo. Better than some cavity to blade transitions I've played. Went 1* weak to start, but will have to see how it all plays out at the transition when they get here. It looks good on monitor.

Yeah, I've hit them a bunch now, and ordered 4-6 to match with my MB's right at the opening bell. I like the feel paired with the MB's. It's more solid than I would have initially guessed for a hollow body. They look, feel, and sound pretty good together imo. Better than some cavity to blade transitions I've played. Went 1* weak to start, but will have to see how it all plays out at the transition when they get here. It looks good on monitor.
So the gapping doesn't seem to be an issue between the two? Spin numbers seem to transition well also?

That depends on what your plan is. If it's to be an equipment junkie, then you're in the right place haha.
Well, I am an equipment junkie, and no mistake, but The Plan is to wait until my swing settles-down and I find out this coming season just how serious I really am about golf, before going out and spending nearly $1,600 (irons + tax + fitting) on new irons.

Typing that number in and reading it back was like a dash of cold water :eek: I'm ok now :ROFLMAO:

So the gapping doesn't seem to be an issue between the two? Spin numbers seem to transition well also?
Doesn't seem like it will be for me. The Apex MB, or me with them, aren't super spinny in the 7i range, so I don't struggle to pair them really, and the Pro aren't super low spin for me either. Nothing like a 921 Forged to Tour combo from what I've seen.

It'll be different for everyone, and true course gapping for me will take some trial I'm sure.

Doesn't seem like it will be for me. The Apex MB, or me with them, aren't super spinny in the 7i range, so I don't struggle to pair them really, and the Pro aren't super low spin for me either. Nothing like a 921 Forged to Tour combo from what I've seen.

It'll be different for everyone, and true course gapping for me will take some trial I'm sure.
I honestly wouldn't mind just going a full set. But, historically, I have been a low spin player who hits the ball a mile in the air. So, a towering shot with little spin is a recipe for inconsistent carry distances depending on wind conditions and such.

Dude might never be natural on camera, but their videos have been getting noticably better. Results are no surprise to me on that one.

This is the store I got fit for my iron, wedges, and putter. Thomas was a teammate of Erik Van Rooyen at the University of Minnesota

I have to say....these guys seem to crush the content they are putting out. They seem to read my mind....

Man, some pretty similar numbers between the MB and the Apex Pro.

Man, some pretty similar numbers between the MB and the Apex Pro.
Yeah, I think it was the 7 iron (where the tech kicks in, in the Pros) too. I would gather the Pros have to come through in the long run forgiveness dept. though. Makes the combo in MB from 8 to PW really intriguing. I need to see those clubs in hand...my decision would be driven by looks at address for those 3.

I honestly wouldn't mind just going a full set. But, historically, I have been a low spin player who hits the ball a mile in the air. So, a towering shot with little spin is a recipe for inconsistent carry distances depending on wind conditions and such.
I'm getting a full set to try as a stand-alone too, just because I want to see how they play. I've got so stupid picky about short irons, thank you THP, but hitting just a Pro PW was promising.

The biggest thing for me between the Pro and MB is height. Little lower, little more spin, which is what I want in those clubs, and should be expected. I can see why you would play them with your flight and spin situation.

Question is... do I order a set of Apex 21s before my other brand new set even arrives... 🤔
Is this a serious question? Of course you do.

Haven't ordered yet but I'm 99% decided on all Apex 21 with MMT stiff shafts. The real question is whether or not to add a fairway wood..

Haven't ordered yet but I'm 99% decided on all Apex 21 with MMT stiff shafts. The real question is whether or not to add a fairway wood..
I am not ready to commit to the MMT yet. I can't hit them locally and there's too many unknowns going down 25 grams in weight. Thinking I will start my transition to graphite by going down to a 120 gram steel shaft so the next transition won't be so drastic.

I am not ready to commit to the MMT yet. I can't hit them locally and there's too many unknowns going down 25 grams in weight. Thinking I will start my transition to graphite by going down to a 120 gram steel shaft so the next transition won't be so drastic.
I'm going from modus 105 to MMT 95 so not as big a jump for me. I've yet to be able to hit this head with MMT but I have hit it with elevate 95 and it felt good. I can always put modus 105 back in if they don't work but I've tried MMT with another head and liked it.

So between a few no charge options like TT X100, $ Taper X, Modus 120x, and PX IO does anyone have any feedback on which of them would lean towards being a little higher spinning? I am thinking about the Modus 120 but have read some feedback that seem to imply they need a smooth swing. @OldandStiff I am sure you have played all of these through the years haha.

So between a few no charge options like TT X100, $ Taper X, Modus 120x, and PX IO does anyone have any feedback on which of them would lean towards being a little higher spinning? I am thinking about the Modus 120 but have read some feedback that seem to imply they need a smooth swing. @OldandStiff I am sure you have played all of these through the years haha.

Are you not targeting a 120g weight?

Are you not targeting a 120g weight?
Ideally. But, flight and spin are more important. My hope is that the Modus 120 will do both for me. But, if I need to get into something heavier to achieve that result, I will do it. The X100 120 gram version is on the table as well.

Why hello there....

First impression...love the shaping of the 7 iron compared to the 19 version. Was hoping they’d reshape this one in particular .

1263B8DB-92D7-4BD2-8BF7-A939CC6451DC.jpeg

Good stuff @McLovin !
I do wonder if the large amounts of tungsten down low contribute to low spin, but I'll need to hit them for myself to be sure.
I like the idea of 6-GW Apex Pro and then an Apex 21 6 iron.

our boy @DNevsCG got back to me and recommended this if i didn't want to go with the preset mixed combo set. pro 21 6-a, standard apex 21 5-6. no bending required, just need to be mindful of the shaft choice. i'm on the fence about the 5i, though. i loved the apex cf19 5i and hit it pretty well, so i think i could handle the apex 21 5i. i do love my mav pro 4h, but it might end up being redundant. decisions...

Question is... do I order a set of Apex 21s before my other brand new set even arrives... 🤔
I started another thread about this type of activity.

Back