First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

I am also see less than 100 yds with the 54, I used to play the Honma 52 for 105-110 so I figured this 54 would be good for 100. I had a perfect lie from 104 and flushed right a t the pin and was short by 10 yds. might have to rethink it for a 90 yd club which gives me a weird gap between the 11 Honma TR20 P wedge which when flushed is closer to 120 carry. Around the green it is a blast and checks like crazy, may just have it adjusted to 53 and see what happens.

Yeah leaving it the way it is would introduce a large gap between my sand and gap wedges. Like I said, will continue to work on it. I've got a vacation coming up in another week. If I don't get them worked out by the time that's over, I'll start looking at my options. Definitely need a wedge refresh this year though.

I am finding these a bit short in distance. It is not a huge problem and can be adjusted to.

I am not sure where that stems from. Is it increased spin? Or the spinner shafts? I am just not sure. But I would say they are 5’ish plus yards short on full shots than my previous wedges. The RTX4s.

Had my 54 adjusted to 52 where I bought it yesterday, I need that 100 yd wedge with as many greens as I miss

Are most people who are reporting this insane spin numbers using the stock spinner shaft?

Are these gamed on Tour? or does another wedge still dominate the bags of tour players?

Are these gamed on Tour? or does another wedge still dominate the bags of tour players?

Very much so and more are converting often. It is harder to make major changes in the middle of playoffs and majors about to happen though.

Very much so and more are converting often. It is harder to make major changes in the middle of playoffs and majors about to happen though.

I guess this makes sense especially as the reviews come back that the feeling in these wedges is different even though the shape is relatively similar to RTX4

Can I get a Rules Official over here?

IMG_7469.jpg

I played as found, nicely out to the back fringe, and two more strokes to get down for a bogey save on 18. Bunker play is a definite shining point of the 54 Mid. I played this shot slightly open with a little too much wrist action and carry, but otherwise carved it perfectly from the muck.

What an exceptional day with the ZipCore. This club was the highlight - simply ridiculous shenanigans pervaded the entire round. I recently made some subtle changes to my full and partial wedge play, to setup a touch more open and fade the ball in instead of my typical draw. It's paying off in spades, and the fade flight is making me giggle. Peak height is way up there if I want it.

4th hole, Par 5 511 yds. I played a 54 Mid from 83 yards that covered that flag a sat tight 1.5 ft from the hole. Then I played my second ball from 65 yds with a RTX-4 58*, and landed about 4-5 ft on the uphill side of the hole and it nearly trickled in the back door. Both high peak, high spin, high baby fades. Tweet tweet.

IMG_7445.jpg

11th hole, Par 5 488 yds - I played a 54 Mid from 100 yards and stuck it cold again. Tweet Tweet.
IMG_7452.jpg

The three shots above, are literally the three best wedge shots I've hit all year.

12th hole, Par 4 340 yds - This shot was crazy because of the amount of English and slope involved. And the fact that I actually banked it off the slope as intended, by carving a strong high fade into the perfect spot. The green slopes from left to right and is shallow, and tt can be difficult to access pins in certain locations. Today the pin was very close the the front which is a no miss zone (steep front drop off), and tight against mounding to the left. I decided to carve a strong high fade from 95 yards, and try to use the slope of the green to come in left and bring the ball back right toward the hole. The ball landed blind behind a mound left of the pin, spun HARD off the slope hard and came Trucking into view from fairway finishing with a nice flat birdie look behind and right of the hole. The orange circles are where the ball landed o_O, arrow is where the ball was hit from.

IMG_7456m.png

IMG_7460m.png

Really enthused and just plain happy about my wedge game and specifically the 54 Mid today. Plenty of other great shots in addition to the above teh RTX-4 50* and 58* were along for the ride and en fuego 🔥 as well. . My game is at its best when my short irons and wedges are on, it flows into everything else. Loving the ZipCore life.

Last edited:
With one range session and one round with these under my belt, my initial thoughts are “wow, these things SPIN. Like spin spin.” I was able to hold a few greens just because I was able to get the ball to stop. I had quite a few chips that held shorter than I wanted, mostly because I don’t get the same run out that I have become accustomed to. The more I work with them, the more comfortable I think I will be with distance. But these are crazy good so far.

The 60* mid was a standout from the sand. I hit 3 of 4 green side bunker shots with surprising levels of spin, causing the ball to come out soft and sit. The sand is usually an adventure for me, and the 60 opened up a bit made for easy work to get up and down. The 4th shot was operator error, as I picked it clean and launched it over the green.

I seemed to have ruined the 54 bending it too 52, it just does not feel right at all and so far the shots just don't come off as planned. I normally use low bounce wedges so I don't think that lowering the bounce 2 deg. did it, but I guess its possible.

This one might be going away real soon or at least when the new Mizuno I may have to get comes in.

storms yesterday killed my course time, but I did get some bunker practice in today and I continue to be impressed by the feel I am getting for it. Not just feel as in the feel in the hands, but the feel at the moment of that thump in the sand. Can really get the sense of that sole working for me in those situations.

I am finding these a bit short in distance. It is not a huge problem and can be adjusted to.

I am not sure where that stems from. Is it increased spin? Or the spinner shafts? I am just not sure. But I would say they are 5’ish plus yards short on full shots than my previous wedges. The RTX4s.
I had the same experience. I have a 60 degree so it’s a bit more that 5 for me compared to the RTX4. As mentioned not a big deal because it really shines in other areas.

Hi everyone, first time long time. So I know I’ve said a lot of great things about these wedges, and I continue to mean them. I was looking through my stats through Arccos and I have a 90% green in regulation with them. I don’t know exactly how long I’ve had them, but I’m pretty sure it’s longer than a month. That’s kind of incredible. And it pretty much sums up why they’re staying in my bag. As far as my up and down percentage, I’m floating in about 60%. That’s really high for me. The only thing that I would change about these wedges is that darn stock grip. Seriously, no more tour velvet.

I had the same experience. I have a 60 degree so it’s a bit more that 5 for me compared to the RTX4. As mentioned not a big deal because it really shines in other areas.
I find the 54° to be a yard or two longer than my old gamer. Maybe the difference is more pronounced at the higher degrees

I find the 54° to be a yard or two longer than my old gamer. Maybe the difference is more pronounced at the higher degrees
It could be. I’m in need of a 48 or 50. When I go hit them I’m guessing I’ll find out. I have a 56 that I use for most shots inside of 85 yards. The 60 is for bunkers and short range green shots.

It could be. I’m in need of a 48 or 50. When I go hit them I’m guessing I’ll find out. I have a 56 that I use for most shots inside of 85 yards. The 60 is for bunkers and short range green shots.
I’ve found myself pulling the 54 everywhere from 45-105. It’s kind of crazy.

I’m the same way sort of with the 62. Basically everything inside of 75 yards and I’m pulling this thing.

I do that with the 56...there were a few from 115-120 today that I would’ve liked to have had the 48 for.

I'm jealous of you all seeing such great distance results, but at this point I think it's a shaft issue for me, but I'm honestly not 100% sure. These wedges do spin like crazy around the green, but my comfort level just isn't there with them, which usually works itself out by now. I may hold onto these to tinker with the shafts or I may just go another direction in my wedge refresh, but for now my old wedges are sticking around at least until the end of league playoffs.

What an exceptional day with the ZipCore. This club was the highlight - simply ridiculous shenanigans pervaded the entire round. I recently made some subtle changes to my full and partial wedge play, to setup a touch more open and fade the ball in instead of my typical draw. It's paying off in spades, and the fade flight is making me giggle. Peak height is way up there if I want it.

4th hole, Par 5 511 yds. I played a 54 Mid from 83 yards that covered that flag a sat tight 1.5 ft from the hole. Then I played my second ball from 65 yds with a RTX-4 58*, and landed about 4-5 ft on the uphill side of the hole and it nearly trickled in the back door. Both high peak, high spin, high baby fades. Tweet tweet.

View attachment 8960679

11th hole, Par 5 488 yds - I played a 54 Mid from 100 yards and stuck it cold again. Tweet Tweet.
View attachment 8960681

The three shots above, are literally the three best wedge shots I've hit all year.

12th hole, Par 4 340 yds - This shot was crazy because of the amount of English and slope involved. And the fact that I actually banked it off the slope as intended, by carving a strong high fade into the perfect spot. The green slopes from left to right and is shallow, and tt can be difficult to access pins in certain locations. Today the pin was very close the the front which is a no miss zone (steep front drop off), and tight against mounding to the left. I decided to carve a strong high fade from 95 yards, and try to use the slope of the green to come in left and bring the ball back right toward the hole. The ball landed blind behind a mound left of the pin, spun HARD off the slope hard and came Trucking into view from fairway finishing with a nice flat birdie look behind and right of the hole. The orange circles are where the ball landed o_O, arrow is where the ball was hit from.

View attachment 8960684

View attachment 8960683

Really enthused and just plain happy about my wedge game and specifically the 54 Mid today. Plenty of other great shots in addition to the above teh RTX-4 50* and 58* were along for the ride and en fuego 🔥 as well. . My game is at its best when my short irons and wedges are on, it flows into everything else. Loving the ZipCore life.
That is awesome to see... Tour Level Spin! what ball are you using just curious!

Played with some old friends this weekend, who haven't see the Zipcore in action yet. I don't know how many times they would say right after I hit, "Whoa, slow down!" Then the ball would hit, check up, and it would be a "Whoa, that stopped quick," or something along those lines. Happened numerous times around the green for the round. The stopping power, even on short chips around the green, continues to amaze me.

That is awesome to see... Tour Level Spin! what ball are you using just curious!

Srixon Z-Star regular yellow on this day. Courtesy of @Parrot thanks man!

Made a small bend to my 56 to 55 and it is firmly in the bag. AW to 55 to 62 and I am set.

Back