Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedges

I was fit for these last weekend and came away with this setup:

50F
54S bent to 55
60S

Wanted to share some feedback on the S grind since from the earlier posts many seemed to lean towards D or M grind in the SW and LW.

The S grind just felt perfect literally the first chip I took. I hit around our clubs practice area and we started at my tough spot, about 4-5 paces off the green to a somewhat short sided pin. With my old wedges, too short for bump/run and yet I never felt comfortable chipping with my old 60. Often i tried opening up 56 w high bounce but depending on the lie was inconsistent. With a simple takeaway I was making crisp clean chips that landed soft and nestled near pin. I also tried the D and it was good too, and did better when opening the face than the S. I also hit a few w D that checked with bite, ie the sexy hop and stop which I have NEVER been able to do on a pitch.

The bunkers at my club are firm and even more so now at practice area due to no rakes. We hit a few but it wasn’t comparable to real conditions that day.

Knew I wanted S for 55 and considered the D for the 60. In the end, went with the S in both 55 and 60 to keep more consistent technique.

After 2 rounds, they are doing great. I use 50 for bump n run, 55 for medium chips and longer/med bunker shots and 60 for short chips and bunker shots needing height. Our course has fast greens and medium conditions w tight lies in some areas. I’m using a neutral technique w square club face. I can open the face but haven’t really had to do that yet. Haven’t hit many 50-80 yard half swings yet but several full with 50/55 from 90-110 yds and feel is great with stopping power. For the first time I am not nervous from the sand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome feedback. They’re really quite good, I liked the 6’s and 7’s, but these for some reason I’m just getting along with more. The confidence I’ve got in them this quickly is pretty fun.

New low bounce K.

Maybe I need a set of SM8 wedges? Thinking 50-54-58 going F-S-M/K

New low bounce K.

M-Grind = Vokey’s favorite grind. Enough said.

I really like the way these look, my instructor has them with black s400 and they’re money!

I’m all M grind in my bag. It’s so perfect.
You’d love the D grind in the SW, it’s like the M with more bounce and still enough heel toe relief.

Looking to setup some of these pups. Just ordered the T100S irons, so would only be right to have some TahTah wedges to go along with!

Guys, what are your thoughts on the turf conditions in the North East? Am I correct that by wedge fitting standards, it would likely be considered soft? Of course this varies by the courses played etc. Lets speak to your typical NE muni.....soft, right? Playing with the Vokey wedge fitter tool for giggles....

I'd say my area is a bit more neutral in terms of conditions.

Typically soft fairways and hard bunkers haha
Funny. my local muni dumps sand in the bunkers.....crazy soft. Tough to hit shots out of.

New low bounce K.

I've played the M and S... M is a little more versatile - I can see 56 S, 60 M or D

I like the D in the 60 which is a higher bounce M - I just grind a little more off the trailing edge of the D to make it more versatile and I get more spin - just a better fit for me taking a little more off the trailing edge.

I think most of the grind options can work to some extent with some type technique. I’ve gotten to a point where I understand what types of short game shots and techniques I prefer and which ones i don’t. Because i bought my wedges piecemeal and never tried them on actual course I seemed to never settle on a game plan. I don’t see how I’d go back to not Trying them outdoors again.

Also, I could see carrying a grind more at the extreme like K or L as a substitute when I travel and play different conditions of turf.

I'm loving the conversation about the grinds. 2 weeks to go until my fitting and it can't come soon enough!

Oh hi..

3D2025D2-AD6E-4D09-947C-64F87D54483B.jpeg

I think most of the grind options can work to some extent with some type technique. I’ve gotten to a point where I understand what types of short game shots and techniques I prefer and which ones i don’t. Because i bought my wedges piecemeal and never tried them on actual course I seemed to never settle on a game plan. I don’t see how I’d go back to not Trying them outdoors again.

Also, I could see carrying a grind more at the extreme like K or L as a substitute when I travel and play different conditions of turf.

Yes, thought about the low bounce K for Bandon ...

Yes, thought about the low bounce K for Bandon ...

Exactly. One day when I get there I will go with the right tool kit. It would suck to get there and not have what you need.

Exactly. One day when I get there I will go with the right tool kit. It would suck to get there and not have what you need.

Yes, I thought the L was too little bounce at 4 - would have to open it up, and still might dig - big adjustment from 10-12 bounce; the K has low bounce but width and may slide out of a dig - sounds doable.

I was planning on inevitably going Artisan this summer with a fitting trip down to Dallas, but I’m hitting these so obnoxiously well I just don’t think this will be the year.

The total comfort I have with the 48F/54D/62M setup is pretty staggering. It’s allowing me to do all the things I demand out of wedges versatility wise and with a consistent spin and distance. I’m impressed. So so so impressed.

I was planning on inevitably going Artisan this summer with a fitting trip down to Dallas, but I’m hitting these so obnoxiously well I just don’t think this will be the year.

The total comfort I have with the 48F/54D/62M setup is pretty staggering. It’s allowing me to do all the things I demand out of wedges versatility wise and with a consistent spin and distance. I’m impressed. So so so impressed.

That's a good mix of grinds.

Had my first range session with these in a grind setup I wouldn't normally go with. Grouping was really TIGHT! But I was hitting them extremely HIGH. Could be the shafts. Feel was nice and crisp. I was hitting most just off center out towards the toe with the 54 and 60. May bend 1-2degrees flat.

Back