First Time Playing 18 Holes?

I agree with those saying don't stress on keeping score first time out. Keep up, see how others handle situations. Try what you've been taught and are working on, but don't get frustrated if things don't work out. Hit a bad shot, drop next to someone in the fairway and go from there. have fun and enjoy it, while making sure not to drag down the group's pace.

I would recommend playing Captain's Choice with your cartner to take the pressure off.

I agree with those saying don't stress on keeping score first time out. Keep up, see how others handle situations. Try what you've been taught and are working on, but don't get frustrated if things don't work out. Hit a bad shot, drop next to someone in the fairway and go from there. have fun and enjoy it, while making sure not to drag down the group's pace.
@checkered with some great advice here.

I would also say, sneak out for some late afternoon rounds when you can play 9 or 18 and play multiple balls or take multiple shots vs playing one ball from tee to green. Get used to your game and your play, dont be afraid to pick up if you are out of the hole, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with saying "Hey guys, I'm picking up" and then let the group finish up the hole.

First time out they shouldn't even keep a score. Take some swings, stay with the group and have fun.

This!

If you want to keep score no more than double par.

Heck if the cart gets to far in the ditch, just chip and putt.

You do not need to play the same tees as your friends. Feel free to play the forward tees.

Be sure to tell us how it goes!

@checkered nailed it

These are all great. I told a friend of mine that when I do hit the course for the first time, my balls lands behind a tree root. I will not play it as it lies. I will toss it close by. I am no hero and treasure what golf equipment I have. Thanks for the great suggestions folks.
Good idea. I'll even take it a step further than that and say don't worry about the Rules of Golf at this point in your golfing life. Sure, it's good to learn them and know what they are because maybe somewhere down the road they'll matter to you - but you're not keeping a handicap, you're not playing in a competition environment and you're not playing for money, so do whatever helps you enjoy the game the most.

Fluff your lies. Take mulligans. Kick your ball out from behind bushes/trees. Try to hit out of bunkers, but if you're still in there after two or three strokes, toss your ball up on the green and putt it out (don't forget to rake your bunker, though!). Eventually you'll want to learn how to hit out of a bunker, or off a sketchy lie (hardpan, buried in deep rough, etc.), when you're entitled to relief and how to properly take it - but right now you've got enough going on just focusing on keeping the ball in play, in front of you, and getting around the course. This isn't Sunday at the Masters Tournament.

Nobody expects somebody who just took up piano to have a comprehensive knowledge of music theory and to be able to play Beethoven's works, why should it be any different for a golfer? Put the building blocks in place one piece at a time, you have a lifetime to learn and enjoy this wonderful, terrible, enjoyable, frustrating game.

First off, play whenever you want to and works well for you

Second, don’t keep score or just loosely keep score. You are going to shoot such a high number, nobody cares nor should you.

Third, don’t do as suggested and leave driver and 3 wood or whatever in the car. Golf is played with a driver and longer clubs and the course is built to play with them. If you slice it or hit it OB, who cares, go to where it went out and hit one from there.

Fourth. Don’t waste money on expensive balls, play with 10 -15 of them you don’t care to lose and just let it go when you can’t get one and move on.

Finally and most important, don’t hold anyone up. You stink and you can’t play as good as everyone around you likely. That will change but it’s true now. Hit your shot and keep pace with whoever is fastest in your group. Pick up your ball, don’t look for lost ones, don’t keep score or pretend that it matters. You will get there but it is a process and you should try to be the first one ready for the next hole.

If you do this , you will be invited back and people will want to play with you even if you suck, and you will get better along the way.

Picking up at double par alone will immensely help speed things along while keeping your frustration level at bay (not to mention the score). Personally I wouldn’t keep score until after a couple months.

I’m going into my third season this year and I went from 130s to about 106-108. Hoping to break 100 this year. I’m not good at golf but I’m fast and have a great time.

A few more tips..

1) Use a soft/ low compression ball because your swing speed is probably low.. trust me.

2) Focus on fairways and don’t go for hero shots.

3) Don’t compare yourself to other people.

4) Play by casual rules, you’re not in a tournament.

5) Keep up the pace, don’t hit into people, and replace divots. If you do those three things you will be one of the good guys.

First time i played 18 holes i shot 69 ...............................................................................................................

oh sorry that was at the pitch and putt about 5 yrs ago :ROFLMAO:

Took a kid in his teens, great athlete to the driving range then on to the course, which was pretty empty, we only had to let one twosome through per 9. Kid shot just over 100, and the short game was the worst part of his game.
Now 6 years later the young man is 22 and shoots right around 80 playing but once or twice per month.

When we have a beginner or even a group of whatever … that’s going to be slow…. We suggest a scramble format.

Double par might be a little high, we’re talking 8 and 10 all day for the most part. The person is gonna be both tired and discouraged. That is IF they care about playing more than riding around drinking. But since they took lessons I think there would be some seriousness.

Another thing to make it better for them , and I did this with my kids when they were small, have them tee off at the 150 yard marker.
I had my kids t off normal, but they picked up and hit from where I was.

Were they pissed that they all had to hit from the woods?!😂😂😂
Hey, everyone needs to have a go to punch shot. Just working on all aspects of their game.

First 18 you shouldn’t even worry about score. Just have fun.

Back