Flagsticks - Lets go back to normal already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the ball kicked out because of the pool noodle, that ball is in the hole. I didn’t even think there was a question about that. Congrats on he HIO

I wish it felt that way lol! Ball came to rest only 4 feet away from the hole and you could tell there was a change of direction when it looked like it was rolling in. Super unfortunate

Yesterday, I played 12 holes before realizing the course had removed the pool noodles. I guess I barely noticed them whilst they were in place. Makes no difference to me.

If you're not touching the flag stick after them, whats the worry?
What's the worry? Think about it. They have no regard for you, me or anyone else. And not just at the golf course.

Hasn't bothered me in the least. The guys I play with all agreed, if it comes back out because of the PVC or pool noodle, it is in.

Haven't noticed much of a difference for me in the old vs new way.. it is what it is, as long as I get out to golf. Unfortunately weather this time of year doesn't cooperate very much

I like the pool noodles in lower part of cup.

I used to prefer the flag out, especially on shorter putts, but now I’ve had to putt with flags in, I very much doubt I’ll ever pull another flag again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We still have pool noodles in the holes and I have seen no issue with it. Just means I don't have to bend over quite as far to retrieve my ball from the hole. I have been leaving the flatstick in since allowed br rule change so that is nothing different to me.

Meh, not a big deal to me. It’s not life altering to my game in any way.

Could have quoted several more, but I am of this mindset, having a pool noodle at the bottom and the stick in makes no issue for me.

Our courses around here are back to normal with the cups/flagsticks, but they still ask that you leave the flagstick in the hole. Doesn't bother me because we had started doing it most of the time as soon as the rule change went into effect. Pool noodles in the cup didn't seem to affect me much (and actually made it easier to retrieve your ball), but I hated the inverted cups with a passion.

the pool noodles could go I guess.
As for the flag in? Im glad im seeing more folks become use to it..
I feel they should change the rule to 100% the flag stays in all the time.
For those so concerned their caps went up 5 strokes because of the pins in,.....lets just get new pins with real skinny bottoms and out an end to the entire debate,
Its time imo already to make the permanent change. There are more than enough greens antics by so many players already disrupting the flow of the game. The flag thing is one we can and imo should now do away with.

Follow the science, they say. Until it doesn't fit their narrative.

Most studies have shown that Covid is very difficult to transfer on surfaces. Mostly airborne transmission.

Flags should be able to be touched, rakes replaces, as well as ball washers. If you think you will get sick by touching these things, then DON'T TOUCH!

Follow the science, they say. Until it doesn't fit their narrative.

Most studies have shown that Covid is very difficult to transfer on surfaces. Mostly airborne transmission.

Flags should be able to be touched, rakes replaces, as well as ball washers. If you think you will get sick by touching these things, then DON'T TOUCH!
Sounds like you don't follow the science.

Covid-19 has been proven to be active on surfaces for up to 4 weeks.
The virus responsible for Covid-19 can remain infectious on surfaces such as banknotes, phone screens and stainless steel for 28 days, researchers say.

Do not touch the flagsticks, no rakes, and no ball washers. All can transmit the virus.

I had a birdie putt rejected by the flagstick alterations , no doubt. I don't know if others have seen this setup, but it is one where a hook lever is attached to the flag stick that is meant to be elevated by your putter head after the ball goes in. You lift on the lever which raises a little plate on the bottom lifting your ball out of the hole. Well that lever is attached to the flagstick and stands out approximately 1/2 inch from the flagstick. My birdie putt was gently going in the center of the cup, hit that lever, and pop backwards out of the hole. Total robbery from a poor set up. I have also seen pool noodles not down far enough that have rejected golf balls. People still reach into the cup to get their golf ball like they would if there were no alterations at all, so I would like to see things back to normal and use common sense in your approach to these sort of things in reference to covid-19. As far as leaving the flagstick in or taking it out I don't mind either way.
only part of covid rules that I detest the hook devices are a pain.

everything else isn’t an issue

Here’s how long the virus typically lasts on common surfaces, but it can change depending on sanitation efforts, sunlight and temperature:

• Glass – 5 days.
  • Wood – 4 days.
  • Plastic & stainless-steel – 3 days.
  • Cardboard – 24 hours.
  • Copper surfaces – 4 hours.

honestly ......its simply not at all necessary to pull pins vs any risk so why take a chance? Your putt (nothing about it ) can ever be more important than this risk to anyone's (and your own) health even if minimal. Pulling the pins in this situation is simply not important enough vs any sort of risk

But to those who always say...
"well,... if you dont like to touch the pin then you dont have to touch it"

Thats not so easily dismissible as you make it out to be.
You see.....its never just yourself thats at risk. This seemingly ( to you) small insignificant thing you imply it is,....also means you likely do many other seemingly small insignificant things. So your at a tad higher risk all around (not just golf pins) . Its never just about yourself because your forgetting about all the people your then in close contact and proximity with after your ignoring of seemingly insignificant things you do. And your also forgetting about the health professionals who have to then tend to you if you should ever catch it from this (or any your other) actions. No putt is ever worth any of this. The truth is its the darn putt itself thats truly the insignificant thing.

None of this means i feel we should stay home and lock down. Just that there is a big difference between doing things carefree vs doing them while making some small reasonable and respectable efforts towards trying to minimize risks. It doesn take a whole lot to do this at all. In fact leaving the pin in is less effort than taking it out. So in this case one can argue that a person is actually now making more an effort to be irresponsible vs what would be less effort to be more responsible.

It’s time to pull the flags and get back to normal golf. It’s such an annoyance and I hate it.

Not really an issue for me either.

Here’s how long the virus typically lasts on common surfaces, but it can change depending on sanitation efforts, sunlight and temperature:

• Glass – 5 days.
  • Wood – 4 days.
  • Plastic & stainless-steel – 3 days.
  • Cardboard – 24 hours.
  • Copper surfaces – 4 hours.
we need COPPER flagsticks then....

This hasn't bugged me at all. In fact I like it because I don't have to wait for partners to remove the flag and line up and feel like it speeds the game up.

Hasn't bothered me in the least. The guys I play with all agreed, if it comes back out because of the PVC or pool noodle, it is in.

This is what we do also.

This hasn't bugged me at all. In fact I like it because I don't have to wait for partners to remove the flag and line up and feel like it speeds the game up.
yes with the "new" flag-in option (rule change - not Covid) the issue does constantly arise where some in a group want it in - some want it out.... so to avoid this NUISANCE, we always decide on the 1st tee which way to go - it's either one or the other NOT BOTH. If anyone complains about the decision we simply restrain them with piano wire. Almost always go with flag in because it does help with pace of play. Not exactly on point in regards to Covid rules.... but always worth mentioning factors that contribute to slower play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back