Flagsticks - Lets go back to normal already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyhaka

Reaction score
Handicap
After a season of Covid flagstick/hole adaptations, I am ready to go back to normal, even if Covid remains a part of our world, which I think it will be. Some of the alterations are so gimmicky, and don't work well, it interferes with scoring. Also, I don't believe that these setups do anything to stop Covid spread. It is very simple to retrieve a golf ball from a hole safely with two fingers. Too many times I have seen balls rejected from the hole by poor Covid flagstick builds. Can't we just go back to normal?

all the courses around here are basically back to normal with flags and rakes.

mask in clubhouse is about the only precaution ongoing. Shockingly no mass outbreaks from touching a flag or cup. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I don’t mind. I really haven’t experienced an abundance of adverse effects from pool noodles and I don’t miss watching the slow group in front of me meander around the green tending the pin and putzing around with it.

We still have pool noodles in the holes and I have seen no issue with it. Just means I don't have to bend over quite as far to retrieve my ball from the hole. I have been leaving the flatstick in since allowed br rule change so that is nothing different to me.

I don’t mind. I really haven’t experienced an abundance of adverse effects from pool noodles and I don’t miss watching the slow group in front of me meander around the green tending the pin and putzing around with it.
Exactly. I'd become a proponent of leaving the stick in on putts before the pandemic. So, the pool noodles, or pieces of PVC pipe my course went to keep from having to change out the noodles, haven't bothered me a bit.

Last year, I had some friends who complained that leaving the pin in adversely affected their putting. Now, all but one are now talking about how much better they putted this year. Yet, they want to go back to removing the stick. SMH.

ETA: We still don't have sand bottles on the carts or rakes for the traps.

Meh, not a big deal to me. It’s not life altering to my game in any way.

Everything is mostly back to normal here as well, though I have been still leaving the stick in. Just kind of got used to it

I think Covid has shown that putting with the flagstick in is not the big deal everyone wanted to make it out to be. I'm all for keeping them in.

Everything is mostly back to normal here as well, though I have been still leaving the stick in. Just kind of got used to it

I leave it in most of the time as well, where as I was probably closer to 50/50 prepandemic, more from laziness than anything.

Quite used to it. There is one course the Covid Cups are a PIA but that is because the cup is so sloppy over the stick, on that course we pull the pins. Otherwise it hasn't been a huge issue.
I really doubt you will see a return to "normal" pin conditions.

I’m sure it varies by county and state. I know my home course won’t be changing it any time soon as the county says comply or close. That said there was some issues in the beginning but none for months. One less thing to worry about.

I had a hole in one “stolen” from me because of the pool noodle and also had an eagle “stolen” from me during a pool noodle this year.

There’s no way for me to actually know if they would have went in with the noodles out, but if I never get a hole in one I’m gonna be telling my grandkids about that one.

The only negative is upside down cups. Other than that I see no difference. I have seen a couple of putts pop out and only once during tournament play (upside down cup).

i don't intend to pull another flagstick as long as i live. the pool noodle thing hasn't impacted my game at all. i'm fine with it.

I think Covid has shown that putting with the flagstick in is not the big deal everyone wanted to make it out to be. I'm all for keeping them in.
Truth. The rule change was blown out of proportion by some, and this has imo confirmed that.

My course got rid of the foam noodles but my group is basically still leaving the pin in the cup though I don't think it is mandated. I'm ready to go back to pulling it as I have seen far too many putts, mine and other's, hit or glance off the flagstick and not go in due to it leaning possibly. Also, it seems more putts are rolling over the cup either side of the flagstick and not going in. My theory there is that the flagstick being "in" messes with the gravity inside the hole.:LOL:

Truth. The rule change was blown out of proportion by some, and this has imo confirmed that.

it just showed that people, esp in golf, don't like change. In the two seasons now of putting with a flagstick in, I can think of two putts that it might have kicked the ball out. One was mine and one was Jenn's during a scramble. Her putt was a long like 35 footer that had plenty of pace(being nice because I'm afraid of her).

I'm not bothered at all with having to keep the flagstick in. In some respects it actually helps and it also speeds up play as you are not having to take it out and putt it back in on every green

I’ve had one or two putts rejected by the pin all summer but it was a function of it not being all the way in. Two strokes over a whole summer isn’t worth the time saved. Leave it in

it just showed that people, esp in golf, don't like change. In the two seasons now of putting with a flagstick in, I can think of two putts that it might have kicked the ball out. One was mine and one was Jenn's during a scramble. Her putt was a long like 35 footer that had plenty of pace(being nice because I'm afraid of her).
Absolutely true.

Now excuse me, I have to go hit some golf balls in my hoodie.

Flagstick isn't an issue for me, the pool noodle and plastic crap in the cup, yeah that needs to go but we don't have that stuff here anymore so basically things are back to normal really..

Absolutely true.

Now excuse me, I have to go hit some golf balls in my hoodie.

the hoodie I can deal with, it's a stupid issue as well. The cowboy boots thougho_O

Nope. Leave the flags as they are. You americans have to learn how best to fight the Covid virus. What is the problem you people?

I haven’t seen any real impact. Definitely like the flags with hooks to retrieve ball which is a large portion of flagsticks here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back