Friend going for first fitting

Stryker

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno
Reaction score
As the title says a friend of mine is going for his first fitting Wednesday. I will be going with him so I thought it might be fun to have a thread about it. I am going to start with some background on him.

He is in his late 30s, athletically built, and been playing golf pretty much his whole life. He is definitely an above average amateur that generally shoots scores in the high 70s on average but shot par for the first time in his life this past year. The first time I played golf with him, he shot a 78 but 3 putt 3-4 times. That has improved some though since then. He isn’t exceptionally long with any club but is definitely longer then average and usually gets 270ish total with his older equipment. He is one of those guys that doesn’t know anything about technology and pretty much thinks just hand him a stiff flex shaft and he is good to go. He does think he should play blades for irons but I think that would be a mistake just from having played with him.

He recently sold all his old clubs with the exception of his putter and Vokey 54 and 60. His old irons were TaylorMade Rocketballz I believe and his old driver was an older Ping Anser(?) he bought used from Play-It-Again Sports a year or so ago.

My friend is a cheap tightwad. This is definitely important. Instead of going to a premier fitter, he is going to Golf Galaxy because they will not charge him for the fitting if he buys clubs there. This also means he will not even look at most of the new drivers coming out because he refuses to pay $500 or more for a driver. Although he will be buying driver, fairway wood(s), hybrid, and irons, he is only getting fit for driver and irons.

Since he has never been fit before and because he has pre-conceived thoughts already, my advice to him has been to tell the fitter to just hand him clubs and don’t tell him what it is and for him not to look. I also told him he is most likely going to have to look at last year’s driver options that have been discounted to meet his price requirements.

I did tell him in my opinion there are a few options I really think he should at least try. For irons, it’s a fairly long list but it’s a Golf Galaxy and not all these options may be available to him. They are in no particular order:

Titleist T series
Mizuno Pros
Mizuno JPX 921
Cobra Forged TEC
Srixon ZX7
Callaway Apex
Ping I500
TaylorMade P790

Driver selection is going to be really interesting. I know he is going to HEAVILY way the price in his decision. I told him to look at newer drivers that have been discounted to make room for those coming out but the only thing I really suggested, knowing how he is with being a tightwad, was to try the Mizuno ST series drivers.

He is planning to blind buy on fairway woods and hybrid. My guess is he will end up going with a 3W and 1 hybrid, then 4-PW or maybe GW.

My concerns are several on this trip. First is his refusal to spend money may lead him to buy something that is cheaper whether it works for him or not in all clubs. Second, I am not sold it’s going to be the best fitting going to Golf Galaxy but it may well be an excellent fitter. Only time will tell on that one. Third, he may try to “adapt” his swing to whatever shaft is in the club instead of just swinging his natural swing. Finally, I think fitting for irons and driver but not fairways and hybrids could be a huge mistake. I am hoping if he tells them he is planning to buy those as well they will at least allow him to make a few swings with what he is interested in before buying even if it is not an actual fitting.

There is no golf shop here in town. We will be going to Richmond about an hour and a half or so away. I will be trying to post some photos and numbers and such as the fitting is taking place and of course his final selections. I may get distracted though if a bay opens and start hitting some stuff myself since the weather is so bad here I haven’t been able to get out but will try and resist that urge or at least limit it.

I hope your friend ends up with a good fitting. It's good that you'll be there too.

Ooh that's a tough position for you to be in; as you stated he has game but his financial preferences may strongly influence his equipment decisions.

That said, yes gear heads drool over the latest and greatest stuff, but even last years equipment is much more advanced than what he has been using.

I regularly play with several guys who don't understand the concept of spending big dollars on new equipment when their current clubs move the ball from point A to point B. Hopefully he can come out of the session with some clubs that fit him well without too much buyer's remorse at the cost. Maybe introduce him to THP if he isn't already a member?

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Ooh that's a tough position for you to be in; as you stated he has game but his financial preferences may strongly influence his equipment decisions.

That said, yes gear heads drool over the latest and greatest stuff, but even last years equipment is much more advanced than what he has been using.

I regularly play with several guys who don't understand the concept of spending big dollars on new equipment when their current clubs move the ball from point A to point B. Hopefully he can come out of the session with some clubs that fit him well without too much buyer's remorse at the cost. Maybe introduce him to THP if he isn't already a member?
He is a weird guy in that he will blow obscene amounts of money on some things but be extremely tight on others. I have a feeling he is going to drop money on a current set of irons but try and go as cheap as he can on driver, fairway, and hybrid.

I have tried to get him on THP for several years now but it never works.

I just got off the phone with him. He just told me he is planning to buy a $400-500 staff bag but won’t spend that on a driver. :rolleyes:

He is also claiming that he intends to buy all the same brand everything based off his iron fitting. I told him that is not smart. It wouldn’t make sense to even bother doing the driver fitting if he isn’t going to be willing to buy the best club because it is a different brand. I may have got through to him a bit there. I simply phrased it if iron brand A driver is 10 yards shorter and the dispersion is all over the place vs brand B driver then you are going to buy brand A anyway just because it matches your irons?

This is extremely frustrating to hear, lol. I wish you all the best and hopefully he can be more open-minded when y'all get there and he starts hitting stuff.

This is extremely frustrating to hear, lol. I wish you all the best and hopefully he can be more open-minded when y'all get there and he starts hitting stuff.
He is completely lost. He actually told me he wanted blades for more distance. I tried to make him understand that just because some tour pros play a blade and hit it further then him it wasn’t because the blade made it go further. He doesn’t get that it is the tech in non blades and in most cases stronger lofts that is going to equal distance. This was one of the reasons I started the thread. I know how he is and it is going to be fun watching how this goes.

He is a “flashy” stuff guy too. He actually told me he didn’t even want to try the JPX lineup because it didn’t look good enough to him. I don’t even know what he is talking about there because the JPX 921 is a great looking club. I tried to tell him I understand if looking down at the club behind the ball doesn’t look good to him but it would be dumb not to try something that he didn’t find as flashy in the bag. But of course, that is also why he is looking at a staff bag because he wants flashy.

I am really anxious to see how this goes. On one hand, he may walk out with a great set of clubs for him if he goes in open minded and on the other he may walk out with something flashy that doesn’t work at all. Either way, it is going to make for a fun follow. While I want him to get the best set for him he can, I am going to give him so much grief if he doesn’t and I beat him on the course this year. :LOL:

Yeah, wow, this could be interesting. Again, I think it's good you're there to help educate him.

Today is the day. This is going to be entertaining. Taking the kiddos to school and meeting him in about a hour and forty-five minutes to start this adventure.

Today is the day. This is going to be entertaining. Taking the kiddos to school and meeting him in about a hour and forty-five minutes to start this adventure.

Can we get updates?!

All “Pro” models of equipment would be a treat.

If I had seen this earlier, I would have suggested going to a PXG fitter. The prices on almost all their equipment cannot be beat right now. He could get a really good setup for much less that GG will charge him.

We just got here. He is about to get started. Fitter seems to be asking the right questions so far.

Haha I am already having to help him answer questions from the fitter :LOL:

If your buddy is so concerned about price for his clubs, push him towards Tour Edge. He'll get current tech for less than he expects.

This sounds like it's going to be a fun follow!

image.jpg
Getting started

If your buddy is so concerned about price for his clubs, push him towards Tour Edge. He'll get current tech for less than he expects.

This sounds like it's going to be a fun follow!
I don’t think they have any Tour Edge products here. Besides, it has to looks flashy for him and he doesn’t even like the look of the JPX 921 Forged or Cobra Tours

He started with the T100s. Project X LZ 120g stiff. Pretty consistent and really good dispersion. Making a change now and will see what this does.

Well, he can't help what he likes. He just needs to come off the wallet for it!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mizuno Pro 225s with the same shaft. More distance and ball speed, better launch angle. Similar dispersion.

Well, he can't help what he likes. He just needs to come off the wallet for it!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
He will spend on irons. Driver is going to be the question.

Those Pro 225s seem to be really great performers for a lot of players, I wonder if he thinks they're not cool enough or something, lol.

Back