From casting to lagging.........been here ?

Lynford

Reaction score
Handicap
It’s time for a change - I booked a lesson today with a well rated local (ish) Pro.

I’m a 46 year old 8hcp from England. I take it away on the inside, get across the line at the top and often come over the top from there, casting with very little lag. I feel my swing is based on timing - When I’m on, I’m on but when I’m off, I’m awful.

I’ve always known I was a short hitter for single figures, and had a fitting the other day showing I carry the driver about 215 running out to 225-230. I realised that at my age, without a technique change I will be getting progressively shorter. I see golf as a game for life, and for my eventual retirement, and I don’t want to be busting driver 155 when that day comes !

Has anyone here been through lessons like this ? I’m hoping that if I can change my technique I can gain some extra consistency & yards.

Adding lag isn’t something you force, it happens on its own with correct sequencing. Trying to manipulate it will just lead to a lot of high and rights, or stall and try and save it with the hands and it’s 100% timing dependent.

I heard it said once from a golf instructor online: lag is like fire. Too little, you freeze. Too much, you burn yourself.

Can a bit of a sequencing change help you out? Sure. But it’s gonna take time to learn, and there will be bumps along the way.

Adding lag isn’t something you force, it happens on its own with correct sequencing. Trying to manipulate it will just lead to a lot of high and rights, or stall and try and save it with the hands and it’s 100% timing dependent.

and the shanks. don’t forget the shanks.

i’m a caster. tried for years to get some lag. never happened. so now i focus on speed and center contact. sometimes your swing is your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i’m a caster. tried for years to get some lag. never happened. so now i focus on speed and center contact. sometimes your swing is your swing.

We try not to use that kinda language around here sir.

I yelled at a HS golfer this year for that. At a tournament.

I yelled at a HS golfer this year for that. At a tournament.

Completely understandable, gotta protect the field haha

Lack of lag is a symptom of other swing issues. Artificially holding the lag is group think imo, fix the reasons not try to force it.

I agree with that’s been said in here and I’ve lived it completely. Trying to artificially add lag to my swing has been very destructive.

This is pretty much where I am these days. I'm a pretty consistent lagger and everyone I try changing something out seems to make things much worse. I'm just trying to embrace it these days and sharpen the rest of my game.

Did he say that dreaded 5 letter "s" word again?

I can't even read that word without getting goose pimples. While I feel a ban is the nuclear option, there's only one thing worse than saying 4-putt on a golf website. C'mon now! :)

Thanks all, sounds like it could be a bumpy road !

I wasn’t thinking of artificially adding lag, just working with the Pro to correct other faults to try and naturally create some. I think if I can improve my position at the top I’ll no longer need to go OTT, and no longer cast so badly.

Anyway, he’s the Pro, he’s well rated and I’ll see what he’s got to say. I’m just sick of my bad days being so poor while my good days are pretty decent.

Cheers !

Thanks all, sounds like it could be a bumpy road !

I wasn’t thinking of artificially adding lag, just working with the Pro to correct other faults to try and naturally create some. I think if I can improve my position at the top I’ll no longer need to go OTT, and no longer cast so badly.

Anyway, he’s the Pro, he’s well rated and I’ll see what he’s got to say. I’m just sick of my bad days being so poor while my good days are pretty decent.

Cheers !

It's absolutely worth a shot. I've been really close to getting a lesson with a Pro lately to work some swing flaws out but with a limited time to play I don't want to spend it trying to work on the changes, I'd rather be playing. If you have the time to work on it I say go for it! Good luck with the lesson and definitely keep us updated.

It's absolutely worth a shot. I've been really close to getting a lesson with a Pro lately to work some swing flaws out but with a limited time to play I don't want to spend it trying to work on the changes, I'd rather be playing. If you have the time to work on it I say go for it! Good luck with the lesson and definitely keep us updated.

Thanks Kev. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If it’s not attainable hopefully the Pro will be honest and tell me. Then we can work on making any kind of improvement.

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt as they say

I too was pretty bad for it and decided a couple of years ago to start having lessons as I wanted to gain more consistency than anything else

It has taken time, but my path has gone from around 7-8 degrees out-to-in to being very neutral and very playable. I lost a lot of swing speed through a back injury, but with my instructor I have started to gain that back by working on my technique and have gone from low 90's to around the 100MPH mark now and I do feel there is more to gain - I am just wary of pushing too hard in case I have a relapse of my injury

As a result, this season I have reduced my handicap down to 12 (from 14) and have broken 80 3 times already this season (once was in a competition at an away course as well)

My past tendencies were steep and stuck resulting in having to cast the club to even make contact or attempt to make contact. Iv been really working on separating myself from the club to give myself room, making a good turn, and shallowing the shaft coming down trying to use more of my lower body. This creates lag and like mentioned above lag is a cause from something else.

Back