ncsuhunter

#MAKEADIFFERENCE
Reaction score
This year has been extremely frustrating for me on the golf course. Up and down with little consistency other than my ball striking. I had a very good ball striking day today with 8 GIR in the round. Should have been a good round right? 39 putts (7 3 putts :bulgy-eyes:) later, yep that's right 39 putts, I had shot a 91 on a difficult but very nice course. The greens were hard and firm and I just could not get a read on them. I'm usually pretty good at reading the break of a green but today everything seemed to go the opposite way. Really struggled with the flat blade today. I definitely see that as an area that I HAVE to improve if I'm going to get to where I want to with this game. I have got to find a way to grind through rounds like this. I feel like lately I've just kind of been going through the motions on the course and my scores have suffered. I love the game and enjoy it a lot but here lately don't seem to be able to focus. I've made huge strides in my swing and ball striking in the past 2 years and I've worked hard on my short game this year. Obviously I need to work on putting a little more. I just can't seem to get to that next level. How do you guys "recharge" yourself when you are frustrated by what on the scorecard looks like a lack of progress?

I fEel the same way you do at times. I can't seem to put multiple parts together on the same day. My scores have been all over the place. When I can't drive the ball decently scores rocket into the upper 90s or low 100s. I have other rounds in the mid 80s with some putts burning the edges that cost the round from being lower. It's gets in my head if I struggle early.

One of my favorite things to do after a frustrating round is book a tee time at the course I am most familiar with, I have played at least 100 rounds there and I know it like the back of my hand. I always feel like I am going to post a good score there because there are no surprises, and it usually happens. That is the best thing for me.

Now more related to you how was your speed on the greens? Good speed can help spotty green reading if you are leaving yourself makable second putts.

I'm right here with you buddy! Last year I played once a week from March til November and sometimes twice a week and made such huge strides. I used to struggle to break 100 and last year I had only 1 round above that and broke 90 a handful of times. Averaged a 93 last year for a full season which was tremendous from where I started. Easily 10 strokes better on average. This year I expected to be breaking 90 most days and it just hasn't happened. One round below 90. But I also have not played as much, probably half the amount. A second kid will do that to your time on the course.

To answer your question, I just keep working at it. I don't let it ruin my day. It's just golf. I'll never be tiger or Rory, or the last place guy on your for that matter. Just enjoy the time I get out there.

Friday was the most relaxed day I've had this year and shot a 91. If I can keep that attitude and play like that all the time I know I can get to my goal of mid to low 80 consistently.

It's Just a game......

I feel your pain and all I can say is keep your head up and keep hitting the ball.

Stop focusing on the score you're trying to post for the round, the whole or next couple holes. Play what the course gives plan your attack for each hole and change that plan as you near the hole as necessary.

My low for the yr is an 82 and that was coming from fighting to stay under 100 last yr, I've posted a few 80's round a lot of 90's and several 100+ scores. The difference is consistency in scoring is try to hit each shot as well as I can vs trying to post a number.

Play target golf and really concentrate on landing your ball on a target with each shot and see how that changes your game.

I just drink my myself into a drunken stupor ...:act-up:

Even on a bad round I had a lot of good shots ... I visualize those good shots ...

i will go to the range soon after to work on the shot(s) that were getting me into trouble ...

Also the worse I do on the course, the more of a hurry I am to make another bad shot ... Or look up ... I have to slow myself down ...

If the round starts to go to crap, I'm calling the beer cart. Before you know it your relaxed and things are going ok.

Or if things get going really bad, give it a break, take a week or 2 off.

The difference is consistency in scoring is try to hit each shot as well as I can vs trying to post a number.

Play target golf and really concentrate on landing your ball on a target with each shot and see how that changes your game.

This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to constantly remind myself that not even the best golfers in the world are models of consistency. PGA Tour golfers routinely miss cuts, come in 65th place, etc. Then they'll turn around and spend a few months turning in nothing but top-10's with a win or two.

So if I shoot 105 one day, and 84 a few days later (as I did last week), why should it surprise me? All you can do is try to enjoy yourself and keep working towards the unobtainable goal of perfect consistency.

I'm with you here!! I changed my swing at the start of the year and it's still not great! My misses are far less drastic than they once were and I know I have to stick with it but I will have great days and really bad days! There's nothing in the middle for me right now, just hope all the work I've done will pay off soon. I have worked so hard on the swing other parts of my game haven't been great but I need to continue to work just haven't had the time as of late.

I feel your pain and all I can say is keep your head up and keep hitting the ball.

Stop focusing on the score you're trying to post for the round, the whole or next couple holes. Play what the course gives plan your attack for each hole and change that plan as you near the hole as necessary.

My low for the yr is an 82 and that was coming from fighting to stay under 100 last yr, I've posted a few 80's round a lot of 90's and several 100+ scores. The difference is consistency in scoring is try to hit each shot as well as I can vs trying to post a number.

I agree 100%. Once I started to play to a certain number, my game really changed. If you can't reach a green in two, be sure to lay up to the best yardage for your game. Same can be said on the green. On really long putts, I look at the cup as a 3 foot circle and just try to get the ball into that circle. Really cut down on my number of 3 putts.

Golf is day to day even for the best players in the world. I never let the bad rounds drag me down any and just think there are worse places you could be and that tomorrow is a new day.

I was having a solid year until recently. I'm starting to struggle in every aspect with little consistency. I go on vacation after this week so I'm looking forward to clearing my head and coming back with a clear mind ready to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year has been extremely frustrating for me on the golf course. Up and down with little consistency other than my ball striking. I had a very good ball striking day today with 8 GIR in the round. Should have been a good round right? 39 putts (7 3 putts :bulgy-eyes:) later, yep that's right 39 putts, I had shot a 91 on a difficult but very nice course. The greens were hard and firm and I just could not get a read on them. I'm usually pretty good at reading the break of a green but today everything seemed to go the opposite way. Really struggled with the flat blade today. I definitely see that as an area that I HAVE to improve if I'm going to get to where I want to with this game. I have got to find a way to grind through rounds like this. I feel like lately I've just kind of been going through the motions on the course and my scores have suffered. I love the game and enjoy it a lot but here lately don't seem to be able to focus. I've made huge strides in my swing and ball striking in the past 2 years and I've worked hard on my short game this year. Obviously I need to work on putting a little more. I just can't seem to get to that next level. How do you guys "recharge" yourself when you are frustrated by what on the scorecard looks like a lack of progress?

Read Bob Rotella's book called "Putting out of your Mind". It will change your life. I'm dead serious. I went from a bad putter to now putting is the strength of my game. The best part is that the results happen quick. It isn't some crazy technique, just a logical way to view the realities of putting.

I might have to find that book. I have read "Golf Isn't a Game of Perfect" and it was a real game changer for me.

I might have to find that book. I have read "Golf Isn't a Game of Perfect" and it was a real game changer for me.

Same for me. It is no coincidence that I played the best golf of my life shortly after reading Rotella's Putting Out of Your Mind and Golf is Not a Game of Perfect, and the "Impact Zone" by Bobby Clampett. Went from a 13 down to a 7. I play the game completely different now. I also enjoy it more and bad shots, 3 putts, or bad breaks don't bother me. I've been off the course for a while due to injuries, but I'm actually reading all 3 of those books again now, just as a refresher.

Do you have other hobbies besides golf? Dont like to brag, but i feel i am a great fisherman, especially on rivers. When golf starts heading south, i take some time away from it and go slam the fish. I like fishing and always can catch em on a river, some positivity!!!!!! Go back to the course the next week and always play better. I think i play to much sometimes. My swing speeds up, i am on the constant hunt to lower my scores and get hacked when i dont. Bad moods kill me. To much pressure as well. Leave course and head to a nice quiet river and jerk the lips off of them. Always helps me.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Do you have other hobbies besides golf? Dont like to brag, but i feel i am a great fisherman, especially on rivers. When golf starts heading south, i take some time away from it and go slam the fish. I like fishing and always can catch em on a river, some positivity!!!!!! Go back to the course the next week and always play better. I think i play to much sometimes. My swing speeds up, i am on the constant hunt to lower my scores and get hacked when i dont. Bad moods kill me. To much pressure as well. Leave course and head to a nice quiet river and jerk the lips off of them. Always helps me.

Oh heck yeah, I got plenty of hobbies :p...First of September I'm off to the Pamplico to get me a trophy bull red drum, then come October 11th I'll be chasing white tails around Eastern NC as much as possible...I love golf, but I LOVE listening to a pack of hounds hot on ole bambi's trail! Nothing more relaxing then a good day in the woods with my little man listening to the music of the hounds! For the past few years golf has taken a big back seat. I'm not letting that happen this year. My "offseason" will be focused on short game with a heavy emphasis on putting and lag putting. I'm going to use the rest of this year to continue to improve my ball striking especially with my hybrids and woods. Those are the tee box clubs that have gotten me in trouble. Once I'm confident in them I'll start focusing on the short game. By the first of next year I want it to be in the best shape it's ever been in and be the best part of my game. I will find time to devote daily to putting, be it short putting here in the house or lag putting at the range.

I hear ya on the deer hunting, november for me here in missouri. Golf is the most addicting thing there is to me. I love it and cant wait to get back out there. Short breaks from it do me good and seem more relaxed while golfing when i come back to it. Good luck on your upcoming hunts and things.

Scores (bad ones) don't really frustrate me. I just like to play golf. But a day off after a bad scoring round seems to help make the next round better score-wise.

...How do you guys "recharge" yourself when you are frustrated by what on the scorecard looks like a lack of progress?

Yesterday Rory shot a 74. Today - a 65. If it happens to the best golfer in the world, then it can happen to any amateur.

Back