TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
5.3 (WHS)
I am in need of a new watch and am considering the Garmin S62, but the S60 is currently available with a substantial discount in the Black Friday sales so I am trying to decide if the extra features are worth the extra money

Has anyone compared them both and got any suggestions as to which is the better value for money?

I got the S60 the first year it came out and mine's still going pretty strong. Don't think the battery will last two rounds anymore but it gets the job done and offers enough other fitness tracking to keep me happy. I've been contemplating the S62 but struggle with re-upping for the cost. Obviously right now there isn't a ton of social activity, but I generally wear an actual watch, so I only wear mine when I'm golfing, walking, etc. If I were more into the smart watch bit I'd probably grab either the S62 or something a little more robust for every day wear. I honestly don't have much need for notifications on my wrist. Other than golf and fitness for me, about the most useful feature is the ability to manage music playing without grabbing my phone.

I just used my S60 all season and I have to say, you will be plenty satisfied with it if you go that direction. However the S62 has a way better battery, a couple more features (as you stated) I was looking for like true hazard distances and the screen responsiveness made me really happy with my upgrade. The S62 is incredible but the S60 will absolutely get every cent of value out of it, especially if you get it at a discount.

I just used my S60 all season and I have to say, you will be plenty satisfied with it if you go that direction. However the S62 has a way better battery, a couple more features (as you stated) I was looking for like true hazard distances and the screen responsiveness made me really happy with my upgrade. The S62 is incredible but the S60 will absolutely get every cent of value out of it, especially if you get it at a discount.
Here in the UK these are the prices at a major store

S62 - £479.99
S60 - £399.99 normal price but currently on offer at £299.99

That sale price is the big draw for the S60 considering it is 25% and I just don't know if the extra features are worth the money...Had

I currently have the S4 so it is pretty old now and has done the job it needed to buy an upgrade is now due

I am in need of a new watch...
If you want a good watch, get yourself a Seiko quartz for <$200.
It will last (assuming batteries remain available) forever and you'll be able to pass it on to the next generation.
If you have a lot of money look into the Grand Seiko spring drive watches for >$5000 (no batteries needed).
If you want a golf gps disguised as a watch, however, then the Garmin might be more your speed.

Fenix 5x sapphire is awesome

If you want a good watch, get yourself a Seiko quartz for <$200.
It will last (assuming batteries remain available) forever and you'll be able to pass it on to the next generation.
If you have a lot of money look into the Grand Seiko spring drive watches for >$5000 (no batteries needed).
If you want a golf gps disguised as a watch, however, then the Garmin might be more your speed.
My thread is in the golf accessories section and is titled Garmin watch so hopefully that would be a clue, as would reading the entire post I made

As for non-golf watches, I have no need for those considering what I already own and the combined value of them

That £300 price isn’t a sale price, that’s the price most retailers are asking. Another watch that offers similar features at a better price is the Golf Buddy aim W10.

As for non-golf watches, I have no need for those considering what I already own and the combined value of them
Then why have a golf gps unit (watch) on your wrist, with a small screen, instead of something with a larger screen in your hand?
Perhaps your eyes are better than mine.

That £300 price isn’t a sale price, that’s the price most retailers are asking. Another watch that offers similar features at a better price is the Golf Buddy aim W10.
Will check that out

Here in the UK these are the prices at a major store

S62 - £479.99
S60 - £399.99 normal price but currently on offer at £299.99

That sale price is the big draw for the S60 considering it is 25% and I just don't know if the extra features are worth the money...Had

I currently have the S4 so it is pretty old now and has done the job it needed to buy an upgrade is now due
Whether the extra features are worth it is totally subjective, I will say I upgraded specifically for those extras though since I use the watch a ton. My S60 was perfectly capable of everything I needed it to do though. I'm just a sucker for extras lol

I have the s60 and it's ok, the only thing I do not like is it has no distance to hazards, where as the s62 does. What you are meant to do is move the pointer on the screen to a point on the map for distance to that point I found this a pain to do. You can manually add hazzards yourself as you walk the course.

I do not think it's worth the money , I got mine for £250 and now use it as a day to day watch and I use my shotscope v3 for golf

Hmmm, I wonder if maybe looking at a handheld unit might be a viable alternative instead

As others have stated, the S62 is a definite upgrade from the S60. Much better battery life (3-4 rounds) and slightly bigger display. Also when paired with Garmin golf app, will give you wind speed and direction. Layups and hazards now show up on the watch without having to go through the manipulations on the S60.

S62 is way better. Battery life, screen size, features, UI. Definitely a pricier piece but worth it.

S62 is way better. Battery life, screen size, features, UI. Definitely a pricier piece but worth it.

Agree with this. Just got a S62 and I am very impressed with the battery life. Full power on Friday. Round on Sat, round on Sun, and then a round on Tues. By Friday night, I still had 14% battery life.

I have the S60 and it's fantastic, if only the battery life was better. I can only get one full round out of it which is an irritant. My only gripe is that when it's on my wrist occasionally the buttons get pressed by accident on my glove when I swing but that's just a personal thing I guess, could always put it on my other wrist but then it just feels too weird!
Sounds like the S62 has a lot better battery and some pretty decent features like the wind speed, and also the pin finder for blind shots. I suppose it depends on how much you think you would use them.

Man all the battery life talk is making me want an S62 now. 💸

s62 battery life is the best. Worth every penny.
Wind speed effect is cool but need to be linked with your phone. Used the pin seeker function probably 4 times on new courses, it works.
Tracks every stat you need without sensors, but does have sensors for less interaction with your watch, and shortgame tracking.
I use the swing tempo function at the range all the time, and in my sim.
And have lots of battery life left when finished.
If bought around 10 different watch straps as well, so goes with everything, as you can change the face as well. Straps take about 10 seconds to switch on and off the watch.
Great pc of equipment!

Last edited:
That does it. Putting this on the xmas list.

I absolutely love my S60 but the guys have hit on it’s only two minor flaws. On a good day I can get two rounds out of it - but it’s a gamble. Secondly, the zoom in feature that’s supposed to make it easy to get distances to hazards is anything but. If it were me and I was already spending big $ on a Garmin, I’d go with the updated model.

The only question I have is are there new models on the horizon that will be better or les expensive? I’m in the market but won’t need it until next spring. I’d hate to buy now and then see a big price drop or a new and improved model show up soon after.

The only question I have is are there new models on the horizon that will be better or les expensive? I’m in the market but won’t need it until next spring. I’d hate to buy now and then see a big price drop or a new and improved model show up soon after.
To be honest, I have been thinking the same thing as well

We are heading in to the bad weather here in the UK and there is no guarantee of much golf now for the next few months, so it isn't needed right now - I can manage with my old watch for the time being and make the final decision once we get towards the new season next year

Back