The only question I have is are there new models on the horizon that will be better or les expensive? I’m in the market but won’t need it until next spring. I’d hate to buy now and then see a big price drop or a new and improved model show up soon after.

The s62 just came out in Jan/Feb of this year. They've recently been on a ~2 year cycle for watches, so I'd think it'd be safe that the next iteration will come out in 2022...

Last spring, I got a factory refurbished white S60 for a great price. I am old and never play two rounds a day so battery life has never been an issue. I will upgrade to a S62 when they are discounted more but the S60 does everything I need. Plus, I sport a lime green strap and it looks great.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

The only question I have is are there new models on the horizon that will be better or les expensive? I’m in the market but won’t need it until next spring. I’d hate to buy now and then see a big price drop or a new and improved model show up soon after.

I doubt you'll see significant discounting on newer models, just older ones that are being phased out. GPS watches are a lot like smart phones. Rather than drop the price, they load them up with more features to keep the price up. They want to maintain a certain minimum sales dollars target.

s62 battery life is the best. Worth every penny.
Wind speed effect is cool but need to be linked with your phone. Used the pin seeker function probably 4 times on new courses, it works.
Tracks every stat you need without sensors, but does have sensors for less interaction with your watch, and shortgame tracking.
I use the swing tempo function at the range all the time, and in my sim.
And have lots of battery life left when finished.
If bought around 10 different watch straps as well, so goes with everything, as you can change the face as well. Straps take about 10 seconds to switch on and off the watch.
Great pc of equipment!
And the S62 also has a heart rate monitor. Pretty cool feature.

So I'll do a little test on the battery of the S62 and see how long it lasts until dead. It was at 100% when I put it on 2 hours ago. 11/24/20
-It is not golf season here, so just regular use, no gps
-I have everything else turned on, heartbeat monitor, steps, bluetooth music controls, text messages, emails, and weather.
-I will use the tempo practice thing a few times a week on my sim range before a round
-I do not turn power off at night, or ever on this watch
-I do not sleep with the watch on, but leave power on

I will see how long the battery lasts until it powers off.
Any guesses how long it will last? 4 days? 1 week? 2 weeks? longer? :D

So I'll do a little test on the battery of the S62 and see how long it lasts until dead. It was at 100% when I put it on 2 hours ago. 11/24/20
-I have everything else turned on, heartbeat monitor, steps, bluetooth music controls, text messages, emails, and weather.
-I will use the tempo practice thing a few times a week on my sim range before a round

With everything turned on including activity tracking - I would guess 10 days or so, although I have read that if you change the watch face, some of those can drain the battery quicker for some reason

I will be interested to see the result (y)

Here's the watch face I will use. Nothing fancy, but has almost every function listed above that is turned on, on the watch face itself.

1606231353463.png

Based on my experience, you'll get to ~2 weeks before you hit 10%.

well 2 days in at 89%, the watch face I'm using uses more power than the normal one I use as all the functions being used are on the screen, but still not bad so far.

1606404494530.png

Was all set to upgrade from S60 to S62 yesterday primarily for the much better battery life and distance to hazards feature. Final push was the S62 qualified for $100 off with that awesome Budget Golf 20% to THP special JB posted about. Thought it strange that the Garmin Fenix 6S Sapphire my wife is coveting didn't qualify despite it also being a newer Garmin release. Must've been a glitch that showed the discount good on S62 because about an hour later (after getting final authorization from the household CFO) the discount could no longer be used with the S62😢

Here's the watch face I will use. Nothing fancy, but has almost every function listed above that is turned on, on the watch face itself.

View attachment 8975570
What is the name of that watch face? I have been using a golf ball one. You can personalize it to club manufacturer.

Was all set to upgrade from S60 to S62 yesterday primarily for the much better battery life and distance to hazards feature. Final push was the S62 qualified for $100 off with that awesome Budget Golf 20% to THP special JB posted about. Thought it strange that the Garmin Fenix 6S Sapphire my wife is coveting didn't qualify despite it also being a newer Garmin release. Must've been a glitch that showed the discount good on S62 because about an hour later (after getting final authorization from the household CFO) the discount could no longer be used with the S62😢

Why would you think it strange that a discount that applied to the S62 did not apply to an entirely different product? And you don't work for Garmin, and yet you assume that it is they who made a mistake! I do not understand.

Why would you think it strange that a discount that applied to the S62 did not apply to an entirely different product? And you don't work for Garmin, and yet you assume that it is they who made a mistake! I do not understand.
No, you're misunderstanding what I meant? I assumed there might've been an early mistake on the Budget Golf website that erroneously allowed the S62 to qualify for their special 20% discount to THPers and that they (Budget Golf) found it soon afterwards and corrected it.

Uuuuhhhhhh, i think you are right, you don’t understand. I think he meant he tried the Budget Golf discount on the Budget Golf website, which is where they sell the Garmin watch..... ?? No clue what makes you think working for Garmin has anything to do with this.

No, you're misunderstanding what I meant? I assumed there might've been an early mistake on the Budget Golf website that erroneously allowed the S62 to qualify for their special 20% discount to THPers and that they (Budget Golf) found it soon afterwards and corrected it.
Uuuuhhhhhh, i think you are right, you don’t understand. I think he meant he tried the Budget Golf discount on the Budget Golf website, which is where they sell the Garmin watch..... ?? No clue what makes you think working for Garmin has anything to do with this.

I stand corrected. If I can I will show the sentence that confused me since I went back and re-read the reply and was replying to that particular sentence. I'm kinda new here, so let's see if this works in "edit" mode. Nope! I'll have to reply again.

This is the sentence that confused me. Also, nice to find out about the THP discount they offer. Just bought some golf balls from them.

This is the sentence that confused me. Also, nice to find out about the THP discount they offer. Just bought some golf balls from them.
Yeah man, no biggie, really. Sorry my scattered thoughts confused you. It's one of my super powers.

Last edited:

6 days pass by and its at 61%

6 days pass by and its at 61%

Its a beast of a battery. Did a full charge last friday. Played 2 rounds and had notifications on the entire time. Battery is at 72%.

This is on the I'm gonna buy this after christmas list.

If anyone wants to go the Fenix route instead of the Approach route. The 5 plus sapphire edition is marked down at the link below from 750 to 350. I got it 2 weeks ago more for the health tracking and golf secondary but works pretty good for that too. I have no affiliation with this site just where i got it. I think sale ends today, cyber monday.
https://www.recoveryforathletes.com...-5-plus-sapphire-edition-multisport-gps-watch

So its at 19% with one day to go for two weeks of use on one charge. Think its going to make it.

1607370181147.png

I gave my S60 to my son as soon as I saw the S62 at the PGA merch show in January. Ordered it immediately. It is now my daily 100% of the time watch. I use it for bike riding, weight training, PulseOX measurement, heart rate monitoring, and everything aerobic. It is an amazing piece of technology. And, it's fun uploading rounds to Garmin Connect and seeing other players who uploaded their rounds. And, you have the choice of keeping stats or not. Idiot proof, imo.

So its at 19% with one day to go for two weeks of use on one charge. Think its going to make it.

View attachment 8978394
Excellent stuff @SHIFTY

I may be asking you how I go about changing the watch face, as Jen has bought me this for Christmas at the weekend, so it has been charged and switched on to make sure it all worked okay and synced with the app on my phone, but now I am not allowed to use it as she is wrapping it up

Back