getting the most out of lessons

chuck_w

Reaction score
Handicap
high
I will be attending a one-day golf school this Friday at the Amelia Island Plantation Golf Academy. I am going to attend a professional conference there, and when I saw the opportunity for golf school, decided to take advantage of it.

This will be my first formal golf instruction of any kind. In anticipation, I have been hitting whiffle balls in my basement and getting in a good a shape as I can.

Any advice on getting the most out of this experience ? The instructor is a pro named Kevin Lindsey. Anyone know him ?

Thanks in advance

After lessons, definitely try to get to the range and put what you've learned from your lesson to practicing on the range!!

I've stopped taking lessons because I can only golf on the weekends and this includes going to the driving range as well. So since I was only taking lessons on the weekends and practicing/playing on the weekends, it was kind of useless for me to continue the lessons each week. When the time changes and def. in the summer months, I'll be able to practice 2-3 times during the week and not just the weekends.

Listen, take notes, and if you don't understand something, ask the pro to explain it to you.

That is a great academy and a fun place to relax.

Follow the instructions to the letter. Be in great shape before you get there.

Go to the lesson with a game plan in mind. Know what you want to accomplish. For example correct a slice, work on 100 yd approach shot, better consistency with long irons... etc.
Otherwise you may just hit a bucket of balls and get some great tips, but never really get what you were looking for...

I have gone to a few 1 day golf instruction shin digs back when I was doing the corporate thing. It has been my experience that the instructors can throw a lot of information at their students. A lot of times, more information than can be absorb by the student. The next day the student is scratching their head, trying to remember all the stuff that was discussed, and/or shown to them. That's why I say take notes, and ask questions. When the day is done, you will have info for future references.

Agree with post above, focus on one aspect of your game. Or treat it as a diagnosis of what issues you have with your swing, then setup further instruction to get you on your way.

The biggest mistake I made was thinking a few hrs worth of instruction would change my game. But its just the beginning of a journey, where you will need to do the drills, then go back to make sure you are on the right track.

Its funny how after some time goes by your bad habits will creep back in without you even knowing it.

im a big proponent of lessons... but one days worth is to say the least... nowhere near enough unless you are already a low handicap...
expect to get a few good tips but dont expect to make any giant leaps or epiphanies...
in order to make the most out of it... concentrate on something you feel needs the most attention like eliminating a slice...

i would really really take notes on fundamentals...
ball position
stance
grip
swing planes
etc

Back