• Yes - stroke play

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The DJ thread had me jonesing for a poll to get people’s opinion on Olympic golf.

I voted alllll the “Yes” options lol

I voted alllll the “Yes” options lol
That’s where I stand! Apparently I liked team so much I included it twice. Although I’d rather it be open to amateurs and professionals. But if it’s amateurs only versus no golf, give me amateurs only!

I voted "yes - team." And I think the format should be best ball and alt-shot the first two days, then best ball and scramble to finish.

That’s where I stand! Apparently I liked team so much I included it twice. Although I’d rather it be open to amateurs and professionals. But if it’s amateurs only versus no golf, give me amateurs only!
Absolutely give me ams. Just like hockey back in the day! I think that would be great!

I’d even take soccer rules (U-24)!
Well men’s soccer lol women’s is still the real national team.

But yes I’d love to get players out there that otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity for the world stage because they’d be passed over for bigger names.

Team golf should be a thing. True alternate shot would be fun.

I voted Yes - Team. Considering that breakdancing is now an Olympic sport (along with other "sports" such as skateboarding, surfing, artistic swimming and trampolining), I don't have any heartburn with golf being included.

Synchronized golf? 🤔

I think it should be. I also think it would be nice for it to be amateurs to give them another event to play for and have exposure. It could help to grow the game if kids are watching an 18-20 year old compete. There are already plenty of pro tournaments.

I also think it would be cool if they had one week for an individual tournament and another that was a team event. Say 4 guys per country and they play a match play against another country, whoever gets 2.5 pts moves on and if it's tied 2-2 then they pick 1 guy and have a 3 hole playoff. Winner moves on. I think that would be fun.

No. The Olympics is overloaded with far too many sports. I would throw out many of them.

Fwiw, I went with "yes - match play", only because I have no real reason to say no. It is another way to represent one's country in competition. A good thing.

If golf disappeared from the olympics, I don't think I would miss it.

Honestly so many pros have denigrated the opportunity my view on it is to heck with them. Give amateurs the opportunity - at least they would view it as an honor, unlike the incredibly overpaid entitled pros.

I have no issues with all people being eligible for the Olympics.

That in mind, I'm trying to do some mental gymnastics to make it equitable to a Ryder Cup and I am struuuuuuggling.

I’d like to see the Tour elevate the Olympics status by opening up the schedule around it.

I have no issues with all people being eligible for the Olympics.

That in mind, I'm trying to do some mental gymnastics to make it equitable to a Ryder Cup and I am struuuuuuggling.
I think most pros couldn't give a 💩 less about the RC, in my view. The Americans for sure. I tend to always get the vibe they view itWAY more as a hassle than any sort of privilege.

Which is strange, since at least in the Olympics, you're playing for yourself and can in some way control the outcome and you get something that is only given out every 4 years and few people can say they are (Olympic medalist).

I think most pros couldn't give a 💩 less about the RC, in my view. The Americans for sure. I tend to always get the vibe they view itWAY more as a hassle than any sort of privilege.

Which is strange, since at least in the Olympics, you're playing for yourself and can in some way control the outcome and you get something that is only given out every 4 years and few people can say they are (Olympic medalist).
I'm not looking at it from that perspective, I meant more a format where the top two countries battle it out after a round robin for gold/silver and the runner ups battle it out for bronze.

Trying to pack that much golf into the Olympics probably wouldn't work though... and it that doesn't work, I think it needs to remain an individual sport.

I’m not moved either way over Golf as a medal sport in the Olympics. But, if its not going to attract the best players, then they may need to address the format and eligibility. I would lean towards a team competition of some sort.

I’m not buying Americans not being interested in Ryder Cup.
1619186871773.jpeg

Regarding generating similar interest in the Olympics, it may be hard (although I disagree) to generate similar excitement because it’s not based in golf tradition.

I voted Amateur Only, but it wouldn't break my heart if there was no golf in the Olympics.... Amateur only so we wouldn't hear the BS from DJ, who can't make it due to "scheduling" or a hangnail or shaving his legs that day.... Just have the testicular fortitude to say "thanks, but no thanks, i'm not playing".

Given the short attention spans that we're catering to these days... I can actually see them yanking golf at some point and just making it a long drive competition.... Hopefully Jack Hamm is the Coach..... POW!!!!!

I’m not buying Americans not being interested in Ryder Cup.
View attachment 9004793

Regarding generating similar interest in the Olympics, it may be hard (although I disagree) to generate similar excitement because it’s not based in golf tradition.

I really think they couldn't care less at this point (maybe they cared back in the day, when they weren't making more money than they knew what to do with).

Tiger's record in particular in the RC kind of says a lot about how he felt about that spectacle. I think most of you think he's the GOAT (I think he stands second to Jack, but that's another discussion), but yet his RC record was frankly appalling for a man with so much talent?

Why? Because most of the time he was thinking about the next "appearance fee" he was lining up to play in the Dubai Desert Classic. Most of the other pros are exactly the same.

(strangely I think Tiger was on board with trying for a Medal...which I guess makes sense since it is a situation that is more about him, than some meaningless team event like the RC)

Back