Golf is very hard! I've been playing since 1972 and I have yet to master any of it. But, I'm going to keep trying.

The end of last year was golf garbage. Swing and results were terrible. Golf is hard thats for sure

I think my swing has changed (and not necessarily for the better) as many times as I have switched irons in the last 6 months - and that's a lot. Man, my game has had some real ups and downs recently. Hoping I can find some rhythm soon.

You know golf is hard when you see a pro have a really bad day. If it happens to a pro you can imagine how bad it can be for hackers like some of us are :cool:

I definitely was jesting. @OldandStiff and I joke with each other frequently.

I don’t know that I agree that any player loses the right to complain. Maybe the question is who should be the audience for the complaint, LOL. Does a PGA Tour pro get to complain when he loses his game? Spieth comes to mind. The struggle has been real for him. Take my score yesterday... At a certain level, you kind of learn how to scrape some pars together, no matter where your tee ball goes.

I shot an 83 yesterday and felt completely lost, and I am not trying to say that I am a great player. I truly only hit two decent full swings the entire round. I hit some irons square, but they were two clubs shorter than what I expect. I felt so disappointed with my game. Somebody else would be elated to shoot low to mid-80’s. That is one of the cool things about golf. It truly is all relative.
Every now and then I play with a guy that is very good. Like one of the better ams in Florida, good. The first time I played with him he shot even par, no birdies. My friend said he putted like **** that day. I've also seen him throw like 8 birdies and an eagle down on the same course.

Golf has been around for about 500 years. In that time we have made magical technological advances, but no one has figured out how to simplify the golf swing.

I was an 11 last fall, now a 15 and rising:(. I've been consistently shooting 88-92 over the last few months. What is getting me is the different parts of the game that are leaving me each round. One day I can't chip worth a damn, the next I can't get off the tee, then of course I get the 4 putts on another day. Frustrating!

Every now and then I play with a guy that is very good. Like one of the better ams in Florida, good. The first time I played with him he shot even par, no birdies. My friend said he putted like **** that day. I've also seen him throw like 8 birdies and an eagle down on the same course.
We all have good and bad days.

Glad I'm not the only one but boy does it hurt. I was hitting the ball, not just off the planet, but out of the universe yesterday. I shot 81 on Saturday and hit the ball OB 3 times and 3 putted on the front 9, that's 7 unnecessary strokes. It's such silly mistakes that make you wanna scream. Felt like I was making some good progress after 3 putting 14 and finishing with a birdie on 18 to come in at +2 on the back. Get out the next day.....87. Couldn't do anything.

I, and other members, are blaming the "coming out of winter" swing. Also, the course conditions are pretty rough until the grass starts growing. Hoping everyone will get in the groove. Handicap went up by 3 strokes from last year already.

I'm playing the worse golf in the last 4 years. Feels like "Flowers for Algernon" syndrome, my skills have eroded back to 4 years ago.
Getting to the point where I'm thinking of taking a break and re-evaluate my commitment to the game.
My Sunday Carnter says I have the "Yips" and the only way I'm going to get though it is to play through it.

Just not having fun right now....

I'm playing the worse golf in the last 4 years. Feels like "Flowers for Algernon" syndrome, my skills have eroded back to 4 years ago.
Getting to the point where I'm thinking of taking a break and re-evaluate my commitment to the game.
My Sunday Carnter says I have the "Yips" and the only way I'm going to get though it is to play through it.

this has been my feeling many times over the last two years. i’ve been in the middle of rounds thinking about other hobbies i would rather pursue. ultimately golf doesn’t let me leave it, and there’s enough good that happens that keeps me committed, but when it’s not fun it’s REALLY not fun.

my problem has been expectations. i want so badly to be better than i am. i have convinced myself i can and should be better than i am. so i work hard. i grind. i take lessons from an elite teacher. when that doesn’t pay off, it’s frustrating and demoralizing. but it shouldn’t be. it’s just a hobby that is supposed to be my outlet that i chose (and PAID) to do as a way of decompressing from the many stresses in my life.

deep down i think all it takes is a change in perception, perhaps more than a change in the swing.

Sorry to hear that man, rest assured you're not alone. Maybe a break is necessary? I played the worst 18 holes of golf I've played in probably 10 years yesterday, but there was still a level of enjoyment from being outdoors with friends. Hope you get back on track soon.

Big change-up round. Go out with just a 7i and no expectations.

First round since last fall and only 3rd time swinging clubs since then. Driving iron straight down the middle in front of about 15 people. Pulled my 2nd shot pin high. All down hill after that 😂

Extra point for the "Flowers For Algernon" reference.

Played great Saturday, back to my usual wretched depths Sunday. Golf is hard.

This post is not to brag, but to encourage everyone going through a rough patch to hang in there. From mid-March until mid-April, my swing seemed to be in shatters. I was struggling with heel strikes or even the dreaded s___k. My club speed had vanished. I don’t have any idea why. After a month of struggling, the ship seems to be righting itself. Again, I don’t really know why. Over the weekend, I was playing my home course. There is a hole with a dogleg left. Trees protect against an effort to cut the dogleg, but it can be done. The tee boxes were up a bit and I decided to hit 3 wood, trying to turn it over and leave myself a 50 yard wedge into the green.

I hit one of those shots that stick with you. It felt powerful and the ball took off like a rocket. I found my ball off to the side of the green. ShotScope measured it at over 300 yards. I never have hit a 3 wood over 300 yards. There was nothing for it to bounce off of. It was just one of those shots we have once in a while. I have never been close to that green. I ended up shooting 74 and easily left 3 strokes out on the course. So, a little over a month after starting this thread, it has flipped and my game is feeling sound, for now. Like the first post stated, I wish that I could understand why a golf swing goes through so many gyrations over such a short time period.

763422D5-B03F-4F14-9C10-D6E7E7848438.jpeg

Last edited:
We all lose our swing and go through periods of poor contact. As someone once said, Hogan and Moe Norman were the only ones who owned their swing. :)

When this happens, I go to the range and get back to fundamentals: grip, posture, alignment, ball position, and tempo. I sometimes have to hit 3/4 swings to find good contact again, and given that I've had very few swing changes or lessons in 43 years, it's surprising how many times I have to revisit the proper fundamentals. I made a minor grip change last week that brought my right hand a bit closer to my left, so it completely covers my left thumb, and I suddenly started hitting my woods 10-15 yards farther and all of my irons a half a club longer with tighter dispersion. I've got my "normal" distances back for now,, making it much easier to hit the par 5's in two. Next week or next month it will be different. Lol, stupid game.

Lots of things are hard, if it's hard in a bad way maybe a break is what is necessary.

I don't enjoy being bad at golf but I enjoy a lot of the aspects that golf brings. Relaxing, being outdoors, talking with friends or dedicated alone time.

You know what they say, if it's easy everyone would do it.

My swing has been absolutely busted for the last two weeks. Cutty fades to slices.. I was almost completely lost last Sunday.

My path is atrocious. Some flared up back issues (thanks, new mattress) has me coming HARD inside and it sucks. I've worked through a fair bit of it based on my play yesterday, but it seems like an awfully long road ahead before I'll be comfortable again. Funny how quickly things go.

It's a strange game. Weird how you can be playing so well and then all of a sudden it just....disappears. No explanation, no conscious change you've made, it's just gone. And then right when you're ready to admit defeat, light your clubs on fire and toss them in the pond, all of a sudden it's back and you shoot a great round. Sometimes it's hard to figure out why we love this game so much.

Missed this thread originally caught up on it this morning. I feel everyone’s pain. I think it’s something every golfer goes thru. Look at Jordan and Rickie. Even the very best loose theirs at times. I’m at a point on my golf that I just try and enjoy the fact that I can still play as well as I do. Some days better than others. Not sure about others but my issue always seems to be mental. I know how I’m supposed to swing the club but don’t always apply what I know.

My swing has been absolutely busted for the last two weeks. Cutty fades to slices.. I was almost completely lost last Sunday.

My path is atrocious. Some flared up back issues (thanks, new mattress) has me coming HARD inside and it sucks. I've worked through a fair bit of it based on my play yesterday, but it seems like an awfully long road ahead before I'll be comfortable again. Funny how quickly things go.
I hope it smooths out quickly. We all appreciate reading these types of posts as reminders that everyone struggles at times with this crazy game.

It's a strange game. Weird how you can be playing so well and then all of a sudden it just....disappears. No explanation, no conscious change you've made, it's just gone. And then right when you're ready to admit defeat, light your clubs on fire and toss them in the pond, all of a sudden it's back and you shoot a great round. Sometimes it's hard to figure out why we love this game so much.
I think your post describes why we love it very well. It is that allure that something big will happen. I am not joking when I say that it is like a drug.

I hope it smooths out quickly. We all appreciate reading these types of posts as reminders that everyone struggles at times with this crazy game.

So true. Each of us will struggle with this game. I just hope everyone struggling can persevere and can get back to playing better or more enjoyable golf. My April swing (after the winter layoff ) is usually ok. By May, many of the faults will appear for me. I have to stay the course and need yo concern myself with grip, posture, alignment and most important for me, ball position. I tend to get too fat forward.

Back