Golf Lessons - How to find an instructor

jvbart

2022 Quest Cup with Edel Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All,

I have been playing consistently for about a year now. I'm usually shooting in the high 90's but getting good enough that I want to take a few lessons. I feel like my swing is pretty decent but I definitely need some help with the fundamentals and fixing a slice.

My questions are how do you pick an instructor and is their a trustworthy app or website with instructor reviews? Are some instructors better for beginners and some better for experienced players? I'm in San Diego and would love a recommendation if anyone knows anyone out here as well.

Thanks!

In my opinion there is no easy answer, beyond, try a few out and see who you click with.

What my idea of a great instructor is, will be different from yours. I may like a hard ass no BS guy, you may like a softer gentler approach, or vice versa.

I may like extremely technical and you may like feel.

It all varies. SO I would try a couple people out, and stick with one or two you like and click with.

Lots of teachers are faking it, teaching stuff that is irrelevant nonsense and counterproductive to good golf.
Try to find a PGA instructor who has played golf on Tour, or at least has some sort of high level tournament playing accomplishments. Most proven players know what they're talking about regarding the golf swing.

Where are you located? You may have luck asking folks around the site that are near you who they use or recommend.

what @jlew2144 said...I asked for some recommendations. lined up my first session last month and we clicked...I'm still gonna try another instructor but I'm gonna give my first choice another follow-on lesson as well and see if it's a relationship I want to continue.

I actually read where it was suggested that you get some recommendations then interview the coaches you narrow it down to and explain what you are trying to accomplish and see what their plan would be. It is important to trust the instructor you choose. If you start second guessing them then you will not be able to make the changes you want. Your game will most likely get worse before it gets better.. There aren't really a lot of lasting "quick fixes" in golf. Good luck and let us know what area you are in.

I found that an instructor who was very technical - shoulder/waist strap sensor thingy (that’s probably not the technical term haha) that showed all the angles that I’m getting wrong - worked best for me. But I’m an engineer nerd so thats probably why

There's no easy answer because finding an instructor that works for you is a pretty personal thing. Have a pretty good idea what you are looking to get out of the lessons and what you are looking for in an instructor then use that information to evaluate prospectives. How to get started? Get a recommendation from someone in the area (@Alez367 - do you know of anyone good?) otherwise head to a local facility and tell them you want to get started with lessons, then talk (read: interview) to instructors to get a feel for them.

OP, where in SD are you located? I’ve got a couple recommendations based off location and desire to improve if you’re interested. LMK here or send me a message.

Hi All,

I have been playing consistently for about a year now. I'm usually shooting in the high 90's but getting good enough that I want to take a few lessons. I feel like my swing is pretty decent but I definitely need some help with the fundamentals and fixing a slice.

My questions are how do you pick an instructor and is their a trustworthy app or website with instructor reviews? Are some instructors better for beginners and some better for experienced players? I'm in San Diego and would love a recommendation if anyone knows anyone out here as well.

Thanks!

For me I went in and talked with each person that might be helping me out. I wanted to get a feel for them on how they taught and explain what I needed from the lessons. I did this with 3 or 4 guys until I found the one I felt comfortable with.

OP, where in SD are you located? I’ve got a couple recommendations based off location and desire to improve if you’re interested. LMK here or send me a message.
I'm near Pacific Beach and working in Kearny Mesa. Hoping to find lessons near the area.

I'm near Pacific Beach and working in Kearny Mesa. Hoping to find lessons near the area.

ok perfect. Do you have a preference in working with a female instructor or male instructor?

I have only had one lesson from an instructor and he was the one that worked with my teenage son. I'm trying my second instructor on Monday hopefully based on the recommendation of another THPer @Lions81

No preference, I'm exploring all options

Check out Lori Brock at stadium. Great instructor and I even believe @ken_h sees / saw her in 2019. Reasonable rates for good instruction and follow up. Near Kearney Mesa area.

I really like my Pro because he teaches to each student. I am very technical in nature, so he teaches me that way. @LoffKat is more of a feel player and he teaches to her that way. I've also seen him teaching others in the way they learn.

He is "only" a GG pro, but I like him, he teaches me well, and he has helped me tremendously.

I was in your shoes. I've only been playing 2 years, but with my Pro's help and lots of practice, I've gotten down to a 15, and regularly shoot sub 90.

Check out Lori Brock at stadium. Great instructor and I even believe @ken_h sees / saw her in 2019. Reasonable rates for good instruction and follow up. Near Kearney Mesa area.

I like Lori a lot, going to see her tomorrow actually. That being said, my swing is still a train-wreck, but that has more to do with me than anything. There are many other instructors at Stadium Golf also.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out her page

Also, I don't leave negative reviews often, but I would stay away from a dude named Bill Westerlund. He spent most of the time at the one lesson I had with him talking about how much smarter he is than every other instructor, and the remaining time was spent talking about breathing.

Also, I don't leave negative reviews often, but I would stay away from a dude named Bill Westerlund. He spent most of the time at the one lesson I had with him talking about how much smarter he is than every other instructor, and the remaining time was spent talking about breathing.
Ha thanks I will definitely avoid him.

Has anyone tried golftec or have any opinions on it? The tech they use looks interesting.

I did GolfTec for a year or so at the UTC location. It really depends on the instructor you get, I liked mine but I don't know that we communicated very well and I didn't feel like I improved much with him( but maybe I'm a bad student). That being said, I loved the technology and being able to see every swing in slow motion from two different angles. I've considered going back with a different instructor. My big issue with practice on the range is that I can't see what I'm doing to know if I'm doing it right, because my 'feels' lie to me, where at GolfTec you don't have that issue even when practicing.

If i were going back into lessons I would do some internet research about a handful of instructors to see what I could learn about them and then casually drop by to talk about lessons with each of them and see what their personality is like. If you don’t like who’s teaching you, the less likely it will stick and help you improve. fwiw

Lots of teachers are faking it, teaching stuff that is irrelevant nonsense and counterproductive to good golf.
Try to find a PGA instructor who has played golf on Tour, or at least has some sort of high level tournament playing accomplishments. Most proven players know what they're talking about regarding the golf swing.

That’s a bit harsh, in my opinion. Just because you had some level of tournament success doesn’t mean you can convey your thoughts in a manner that can be understood or applied. I’m a fair bit better player than my PGA professional but I have no clue what’s happening in my swing but he does and he articulates it to me in a way I can understand when it goes off the rails.

As mentioned several times here, my suggestion would be try a few out or at least talk with a few and see who you respond well with & go from there. Everyone is different in their “learning language” & how they process information. I instructor talks about feel, not positions & angles & degrees. I need that to understand. You lose me when when it gets technical because I can’t understand 2 degrees at any point in my swing but I can recreate a feeling more times than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried golftec or have any opinions on it? The tech they use looks interesting.

I’ve got a friend that teaches at Golftec & while he’s a nice enough guy & knowledgeable, the techs stuff doesn’t interest much nor does swinging a club inside a building. I’m the same way with fittings, let’s get outside and see what it actually looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back