Golf Lies: Which Give You the Most Trouble?

Muddy lies, where your ball sits directly on squishy mud. Seems we get a lot of those lies at the course I play.

Is "all but flat" an acceptable answer???

ball well below my feet

The sidehill lie with the ball below my feet is a possible recipe for disaster. No one should stand to my right when that shot is happening.

Honorable mention is hitting out of a fairway divot. The level of anger I get in the situation pretty much guarantees a bad next shot.

Downhill & below my feet :golf2: I'd like to think this is an easy shot but it's just not. I always try & play for it to bleed to the right naturally but somehow I either blade it or overcook it & pull it left. Worst of all I rarely pull this shot off ... maybe 2 out of 5 times. Luckily I don't face it that much. Oh & practicing shots like this .... good luck with that. :eek:

ball above my feet, my main shot is a draw, so more of a draw especially at that 120-130 yardage trying to smooth something in there

Last edited:
Muddy lies, where your ball sits directly on squishy mud. Seems we get a lot of those lies at the course I play.
I hate those. Do you guys play "pick and place" when the course is muddy?

Great question @dacatalyst41 downhill lies with the ball going away from me and forward are just brutal. I have been working on those with my instructor but still struggle with them.

Any time ball is either above or below my feet. I think I just over compensate for the impending miss. :ROFLMAO:

I have a really hard time with the ball on a significant upslope because I end up throwing the ball WAY up in the air.

If I had to pick between ball below or above my feet, I dislike below more - so hard to stay down on it without chunking. at least with above the feet you can just choke up and give it a solid rip.

Downhill lies for me, especially with wedges.

You know what lie is really brutal?

The ball that is up against the rough but sitting fully on the fringe with the hole directly in line. Especially here in Ohio with the rough as thick as it is, that is SUCH a challenging shot.

You know what lie is really brutal?

The ball that is up against the rough but sitting fully on the fringe with the hole directly in line. Especially here in Ohio with the rough as thick as it is, that is SUCH a challenging shot.

Nothing good can from that lie. The best you can hope for is decent contact without giving it to much juice.

I have a really hard time with the ball on a significant upslope because I end up throwing the ball WAY up in the air.

If I had to pick between ball below or above my feet, I dislike below more - so hard to stay down on it without chunking. at least with above the feet you can just choke up and give it a solid rip.

Are you talking close to the green or in the fairway? Curious because around the green I just club up to an 8i and near putt it. In the fairway, that’s a challenge.

Are you talking close to the green or in the fairway? Curious because around the green I just club up to an 8i and near putt it. In the fairway, that’s a challenge.
definitely full shots from the fairway.

Outside of the fried egg I'm not afraid of any sort of greenside lie. I love it.

definitely full shots from the fairway.

Outside of the fried egg I'm not afraid of any sort of greenside lie. I love it.
So if your ball stopped in a fairway divot on a steep uphill lie, your head might explode?

In general, ball above my feet. My ball flight is straight or a slight draw. Figuring out the correct adjustment not go too far left is always a struggle.

So if your ball stopped in a fairway divot on a steep uphill lie, your head might explode?
Let's just say I hope that happens during the offseason so I can lift/clean/place/give-finger hahahhaa

Do you feel like the club you’re using can either lessen or worsen the struggle. A downhill lie with my wedges seems more difficult than a downhill lie with my 5i.
Club length difference.

Back