Golf Shoes vs. Regular Shoes

Ryan Law

Beating Adults at 13
Reaction score
Handicap
Front - 0
What is the difference? Do you guys generally play better with golf shoes with spikes? How is play better with them?

To me, playing with the spikes is better than regular shoes just for the extra stability because on my swing with regular shoes, my back foot tends to slip a bit so having the extra stability with the spikes is way better.

To me, playing with the spikes is better than regular shoes just for the extra stability because on my swing with regular shoes, my back foot tends to slip a bit so having the extra stability with the spikes is way better.

This. I always slip when playing in regular shoes, so I'm never confident to take a full swing on any shot. I just stick with golf shoes when playing now.

For me, it's more the lateral stability you get with golf shoes. I went to the range the other day and was feeling lazy and just wore my running sneakers. I was sliding all over. Put on my golf shoes and everything tightened up.

I have to have spikes on.
Even with spikes, I will spin out my right foot once in a while.

What is the difference? Do you guys generally play better with golf shoes with spikes? How is play better with them?

My sing fell into place when I got golf shoes for my birthday. They kept me from slipping during a swing and the stability was really good too. The spikes have helped me keep my weight inside my legs during the backswing instead of rolling outwards by my foot slipping out. I am still impressed by how great the golf shoes are since I walk the courses with my clicgear and the shoe itself doesn't show too much wear just the spikes which now I exclusively use the Champ Spikes because they are high quality spikes.

I find they also make a big difference. I sometimes go to the range in my running shoes, but always wear golf shoes on the course. One of my Puma pairs has small spikes,all over the sole, so they can be worn on the street or while playing. Another pair (adidas) has the ThinTech cleats and it makes a big difference for me. I find that I get power from my legs so when I don't have any grip, I don't swing as well, as consistently, or go as far (which btw, is not far to begin with). When my dad bought some Adidas Tour 360s for the first time when they first came out (he bought them from us - wouldn't take them as a gift lol), he couldn't believe how much difference it made in his game. Now, he only wears adidas.

Also Ryan Law, if you are looking for good Golf shoes, Patty from blind9golf has some awesome stuff at their store and they give really nice deals to THP members. They are great people and can probably answer all the questions you have too

Slipping and stability hitting a full shot in running shoes and your ball and balance will be all over the place

Golf shoes will give extra stability, unless you're my dad with spikes so worn down they're useless.

I only play with spikes when it is wet. I've gone 99% spikeless and my feet loves it.

I wear the Vibram FiveFingers. (In black and silver, Not bumble bee) I have been wearing these pretty much all the time for the last 2 years. I was having major foot pain and got these, within a couple of weeks my foot pain was gone. These make your feet do what they are designed to do, support you. Wearing these makes your feet and ankles and everything more stable. I have no problems with slippage, because I am in better control and balance. Very hard to explain here, but wow, I love them. I have spikes in my car.... just don't use them because these are sooooooo much more comfortable. Like being barefoot but having the protection of Vibram. (the stuff that they use to make the soles to really good work boots and hiking boots. Spent 20 years in the Military, so my feet had taken a beating most of my adult life, they are so much happier now. Talked to a guy once that was former member of the SEALS, these are all that they use any more. Sorry for sounding like an ad but I am sold on these, I have 3 different styles, and love them!!

Last edited:
I wear the Vibram FiveFingers. (In black and silver, Not bumble bee) I have been wearing these pretty much all the time for the last 2 years. I was having major foot pain and got these, within a couple of weeks my foot pain was gone. These make your feet do what they are designed to do, support you. Wearing these makes your feet and ankles and everything more stable. I have no problems with slippage, because I am in better control and balance. Very hard to explain here, but wow, I love them. I have spikes in my car.... just don't use them because these are sooooooo much more comfortable. Like being barefoot but having the protection of Vibram. (the stuff that they use to make the soles to really good work boots and hiking boots.

Just put these on your vibrams or any shoes and you on't have to worry about having different shoes. From what I understand you can out them on anything

qsshow1.jpg

I have the same issues as everyone else without cleats. (they are not really spikes unless you use these) Forgot them at home one day and I slipped fell down and knocked myself in the head with a club. Went out and bought a golf bag I could keep them in so I didn't forget them at home anymore.

There are a ton of options for spike-less shoes now days. Most have plenty of grip. You need to figure out what conditions you play in and which option will work for you, unless you want to buy two pair like Drumdog.

I tried. I slip with regular shoes.

I've played in both and I think playing in golf shoes is better if you play in the mornings with the dew on the ground or if the course just watered the fairways. If you have a smooth tempo swing you can play in regular shoes.

Golf shoes with a removable spike are a huge improvement. Especially if you play wet hilly courses.

I wear the Vibram FiveFingers. (In black and silver, Not bumble bee) I have been wearing these pretty much all the time for the last 2 years. I was having major foot pain and got these, within a couple of weeks my foot pain was gone. These make your feet do what they are designed to do, support you. Wearing these makes your feet and ankles and everything more stable. I have no problems with slippage, because I am in better control and balance. Very hard to explain here, but wow, I love them. I have spikes in my car.... just don't use them because these are sooooooo much more comfortable. Like being barefoot but having the protection of Vibram. (the stuff that they use to make the soles to really good work boots and hiking boots. Spent 20 years in the Military, so my feet had taken a beating most of my adult life, they are so much happier now. Talked to a guy once that was former member of the SEALS, these are all that they use any more. Sorry for sounding like an ad but I am sold on these, I have 3 different styles, and love them!!

What he said, I dont use these for golf but have 2 sets one for the gym and running on roads and then a trail pair for trail running and tough mudder style events (google that they are great!!)
On the topic of golf shoes though, I wear northface trail shoes. I have a set of cleats and find that I end up being more stable and try to swing way to hard all the time when I am wearing them and focus less on balance. I also noticed as Im recovering from a knee injury from another sport that if I'm in cleats that i was not going all the way threw on my follow threw cause it put to much torque on my injured front knee causing me to push a lot of shots. The shoes add just enough wiggle room that the front foot will pivot a bit. Plus i cant get my big monster kill the ball arnorld swing going if Im afraid I will slip and fall in front of everyone so it keeps my tempo down. To each their own I say.

the stability really is the key difference. While you may or may not notice it on some normal shots, if the grass is damp, you're on a side hill lie, or something like that,you'll really notice the instability.

Back