Golf tips and tricks we use.

This is why something like arccos is so useful. Gives you real distances for each club while playing, and averages over the course of multiple rounds. Now, the casual golfer is neither going to buy arccos nor make a catalog of club distances from simulators. But those that truly want to get better or perform at a higher level, I think your advice is solid there.

Arccos is huge. My first few rounds 90% of my greens missed was due to coming up short. Some of that is due to mishits but still I wasn't taking enough club. 17th hole Saturday was a perfect example of new thought process. If I hit a SW perfect from 105 it would be pin high, instead I choked down slightly on a AW. I hit it a little chunky and it ended up on the front of the green.

Saw a putter tip on the golf channel last year. Don't even know who it was now but he had a grip that was a change for me and WOW did it work !!!!!! Making my three putts all but go away.

Grandfather taught me to hit the ball off the toe of the putter on closer downhill putts to keep the speed of the putt down.

As previously stated, ball above the feet will go left, ball below the feet will go right.

Grandfather taught me to hit the ball off the toe of the putter on closer downhill putts to keep the speed of the putt down.

As previously stated, ball above the feet will go left, ball below the feet will go right.

I just learned this one during my last round. I was playing with a guy I know who is pretty decent, compared to my abysmal. I had a lie with the ball significantly above my feet. I caught it really well, and felt like I was lined up just right. It ended up way left of target. He filled me in on this little trick, which I was able to put to use later in the round.

Ball above your feet, take an extra club since you're choking down on the shaft.

Around here I read the edges of the cup to figure out which way the grain is growing and helps with speed. Typically the worn out edges are into the grain and vice versa.

Here is one that has nothing to do with the game itself but your apparel. For those that ride, they probably notice their right pocket gets dirty and they assume its something in there. Its actually not, but usually the steering wheel or the black arm rests.

Grab something to cover it like a steering wheel cover and stay clean.

I just figured this out a couple years ago. My thigh was always rubbing on the steering wheel when getting back in the cart.

When I have a lot of danger around the green on a par three, I will tee up the ball about an inch higher and swing at it like I would a driver. I get the high flight with very little roll. Actually have a decent success rate with it.

Is your setup taller than normal or do remain in your standard setup?

I just figured this out a couple years ago. My thigh was always rubbing on the steering wheel when getting back in the cart.

Agree, and if you carry an extra ball, tees, ball markers etc in your pocket, chances are that you will get black marks on your pants/shorts from the steering wheel rubbing against these items.

Or..... you just don't hit the ball as hard (winky winky). :eyepoke:

Here is one that has nothing to do with the game itself but your apparel. For those that ride, they probably notice their right pocket gets dirty and they assume its something in there. Its actually not, but usually the steering wheel or the black arm rests.

Grab something to cover it like a steering wheel cover and stay clean.

I had to bring this post up because of recent experience. I most always walk. However, all the very many years of playing the driving a cart scenario has added up to be many times. And I never had this issue that I ever noticed till this past summer. Playing in a charity outing and a brand new pair of shorts. Well it rained like heck and half way through we canceled the golf portion of the fund raiser. But while we were all waiting around during the rain delay I noticed my brand new tan colored shorts had these little black stains on my right pocket/leg. And they wouldn't come out. I then began to notice that others had similar on their right legs too. But het I seemed to be the only one a little teed off about it. I never figured this out till you brought it up here some 6months later. Those stains never did come out. I cant understand why grease-like staining would occur from a darn steering wheel. I mean if that's the case then - "what's up with that?"

Find your rhythm and tempo. Where you feel comfortable. Some people are 70-80% people and hit very accurate shots when swinging in that range. It's their comfort zone. Push them out of that zone and they miss. Others are like Gorilla James and have to go after it 100% - but then if Gorilla James didn't do that he wouldn't be Gorilla James. Also Mark Crossfield doesn't think his game would improve either. I have to go after it 90% for my best accuracy and most consistent contact.

Or..... you just don't hit the ball as hard (winky winky). :eyepoke:

True. But when I have a 4 ft screamer going downhill and to the left, I like having a little solace in knowing I can dead the ball away from the sweet spot of the club and remove some of the velocity. Especially for putts you know you can't leave short. Just a little trick that might help someone out, you know, in the tips and tricks thread :smile:.

Is your setup taller than normal or do remain in your standard setup?

I believe I remain in my regular stance, just the slight adjustments for which club I use. It's not too often I do this, mostly the long par 3s that are out there.

True. But when I have a 4 ft screamer going downhill and to the left, I like having a little solace in knowing I can dead the ball away from the sweet spot of the club and remove some of the velocity. Especially for putts you know you can't leave short. Just a little trick that might help someone out, you know, in the tips and tricks thread :smile:.

I use this often. Especially in long uphill putts which flatten out or speed up near the hole.

I do like lifting the putter tiny bit more off the ground and letting the toe hang just a bit for those fast 5 foot sliders, I feel it deadens the putt a little like the missing on the toe idea without having to miss center of the face which I am not comfortable doing on purpose. I have a blade putter tight now so not sure if this works as well with a face balanced putter.

Here's one which some may find useful - in putts, let gravity be your friend. Meaning, let gravity help you bring the ball towards the hole.

Call me an idiot, or call Jordan Spieth a genius, but I picked up the correct left foot movement with this picture. I tried it today, and it worked wonders. Always something new to learn...
3aecc5f69d807275d80fe05f0be61ede.jpg

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk

Call me an idiot, or call Jordan Spieth a genius, but I picked up the correct left foot movement with this picture. I tried it today, and it worked wonders. Always something new to learn...
3aecc5f69d807275d80fe05f0be61ede.jpg

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk

If you're gonna do that, make sure you wear golf shoes. I ruined a pair of Adidas tennis shoes rolling my foot like that in just a couple of trips to the range.

If you're gonna do that, make sure you wear golf shoes. I ruined a pair of Adidas tennis shoes rolling my foot like that in just a couple of trips to the range.

No problem. In two separate locations, out of 13 pairs of shoes, 10 pairs of them are golf shoes. I use 2 pairs of old FJ's for formal occasions, one black, the other one brown.

That said, that footwork thing is harder to execute on the golf course. On the driving range artificial turf it was easy, but on natural ground, for some reason, it was harder.

On the days when my putting speed is off it could be extra slow or fast for whatever reason. if i am coming up consistently long or short i will figure out on the practice putting green the distance and putt to a point beyond or before the hole. this has been easier for me then trying to adjust looking at the hole.

Back