Golfing 5 yr old and Life

ActionJackson8

KAHHHHHNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
So it's no secret I've been bitter lately and hating the world. Sometimes however little things in life bring you back down and show you things aren't so bad. Today it was taking my little brother golfing for the first time and for a 5 year old he looked pretty good out there and took instruction really well. So this is my chance to apologize to you guys and share this picture with you. I don't what about a 5 year old golfing makes everything okay, but some how it does.

Good night.

-AJ

n1024711612_30118960_2448786-1.jpg

PS

His name is Alonzo but I call him Zo

Little ones tend to do that.
I know my 3 kids do it all the time for me.:D

Great picture. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's amazing how kids can help put life back into perspective when you need it most. I was hoping to take my 5 year old daughter to the range for the 1st time this past weekend but the indoor range was closed. We will have to wait till it gets warmer. I doubt she will be as open to instruction as your brother.

Very cool, AJ. C'mon--I've made everyone here put up with my stories about Boo Girl. You're entitled to the same. (But be careful about posting personal information about children--you never know who's reading.)

Very cool, AJ. C'mon--I've made everyone here put up with my stories about Boo Girl. You're entitled to the same. (But be careful about posting personal information about children--you never know who's reading.)

Agreed, I was not going to post it but my dad put it all over his blog and facebook so that's why I put it up here and considering he's done some modeling work and his name is "out" I'm not putting anything new out there. I have to find out the name of the set my dad got for him, it's pretty neat, all graphite (even the putter).

Do we need to start that "Romantic advice for young men" thread after all?

I think that would be best lol. Just use LOTS of spoiler tags. I was basically married for the last 3 years, so my game is rusty haha.

Dont worry about it, AJ. We all have our ups and downs in life. The key is to learn from your experiences and more foreward with your life.
The worst thing you can do is let the bad times make you bitter and make you give up on living your life.

AJ - Kids have a way of doing that. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any. My 8 year old beat me on a hole for the first time last week at the pitch-n-putt course at our local First Tee. She made a nice up-and-down for par and she was so excited she couldn't stand it. Couldn't wait to get home and tell her mom. I was so proud I could burst.

Reminded me of the first time I beat my six-handicap grandfather when I was a kid. I think he was happier than I was.

I'm looking for a program or coach for him, he's very mature for his age but most people don't want to be bothered with kids under 8 here. There aren't any relatively close either, and with his personality I don't think he's respond very well to group lessons anyway. I could start to teach him but I'm sure I'd just pass along bad habits.

I'm looking for a program or coach for him, he's very mature for his age but most people don't want to be bothered with kids under 8 here. There aren't any relatively close either, and with his personality I don't think he's respond very well to group lessons anyway. I could start to teach him but I'm sure I'd just pass along bad habits.

My suggestion is to get him a little wedge and putter, and just take him to the practice green. Make that fun, and he will want to practice that all the time, which we all know short game is the most important thing in golf. Then once he gets to be 8, or gets a coach, he will have a pretty good short game and will want to play and practice. My best piece of advice is don't force him to go, just offer to take him and if he decides to go make it fun.

No I don't force him he calls me (yes he uses the phone on his own) and asks to go. Usually I have to tell him no, poor guy.

No I don't force him he calls me (yes he uses the phone on his own) and asks to go. Usually I have to tell him no, poor guy.

Well that's good, and pretty cool. I wish I had a little brother to take with me to the range.

AJ

I suggest starting him in little kid golf camps. Those are great for starting out.

AJ

I suggest starting him in little kid golf camps. Those are great for starting out.

That's a great idea. As kids get older, they want to do what they're friends do. A lot of kids stop golfing because their friends don't play the game. So the trick is to be sure they're friends with kids who DO play the game.

Check for you local First Tee: http://www.thefirsttee.org/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=FL

Even if he doesn't do well with group lessons, the instructors there tend to be very good with kids.

His parents?

Same dad different mom, there are 19 years between me and him lol. My dad said he could go though and then make a bad joke about me not being as safe as I used to be since I don't pack heat anymore.

Same dad different mom, there are 19 years between me and him lol. My dad said he could go though and then make a bad joke about me not being as safe as I used to be since I don't pack heat anymore.

I don't think your a man anymore without that pistol.

I don't think your a man anymore without that pistol.

It's not just that but yeah I don't feel the same anymore. I feel like Superman and not able to fly. It's getting to me lately seeing all these cops die, 8 in the last two weeks. I have wished I could change places with them on more than one occasion.

Back