badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I am a hot mess right now. I am thinking to try a swing evaluation at Golftec and maybe a lesson plan. I have read pretty good things about them here on THP. I am lucky to have Golftec, Club Champion, Golf Galaxy and PGA Tour SS close by. Is there a better option than Golftec?

Like anything I would go in and talk to the pro who is giving lessons. Kind of interview them and make sure their teaching style meshes with what you’re trying to accomplish.

FWIW I’ve chatted with the PGA SS pro and he seems really down to earth.

I’ve been hearing a lot of good things a out this place, but not sure of how effective they are

https://precisiongolfacademy.com/

I am a hot mess right now. I am thinking to try a swing evaluation at Golftec and maybe a lesson plan. I have read pretty good things about them here on THP. I am lucky to have Golftec, Club Champion, Golf Galaxy and PGA Tour SS close by. Is there a better option than Golftec?

Your Golftec "mileage" will likely vary depending on location and the teacher/pro. I went there in the spring a couple years back and asked only for help gaining some consistency with my driver & fairway woods while working with what I had. My iron play had been above average the previous year, I really liked the ball flight and had no interest in going backwards with that part of my game. They agreed the iron swing was workable and "agreed to the terms". I signed up for a 10 lesson package.

Didn't work out that way. They seemed very rigid in how they applied their program and kept pushing for what turned into some big swing changes. After five lessons and no willingness to stick to my original conditions I ended it and asked for a refund. They would not agree to the refund and being too busy to deal with it I just walked away. Took me two months to get my game back to decent and my iron play has never returned to that level. Almost all improvement in my scoring since then has been short game related.

At least in my example I suspect they were trying to work me into a long-term arrangement. Have a work friend who went to the same location and he ended up buying multiple lesson packs, buying practice time in the winter etc. and while he could afford it the ROI on his game was pretty marginal.

I do believe if a golfer is looking for a complete swing overhaul the Golftec program is probably pretty good. If you are just looking for an adjustment to get back on track and have a home made swing like myself maybe buyer beware......

Last edited:
I didn't have the best experience with Golftec this spring. In fairness to my coach, my swing was as bad as its ever been--I was smothering everything. And while I showed some improvement, I was actually getting worse on the course. To try and get me to swing more inside to out, my coach was having me take my backswing way inside, which was actually making me come more over the top. I went through the 10 lessons, did not want to buy any more, got suckered into another 10-pack because of a spring discount, but after another atrocious round on the course, I got my second 10-pack refunded.

I've started up with a coach at Golf Galaxy at 1/3 the price, and after 3 lessons, I pretty much have my iron swing back. Still working on the long sticks.

I do think Golftec can, and does, help lots of golfers, including me, but they are quite expensive, so your experience may be dictated entirely by who you get as a coach. And as another poster mentioned, I felt like they were pushing through lessons to get me on a long-term plan. Too rich for my blood at the moment.

Like anything I would go in and talk to the pro who is giving lessons. Kind of interview them and make sure their teaching style meshes with what you’re trying to accomplish.

FWIW I’ve chatted with the PGA SS pro and he seems really down to earth.

I’ve been hearing a lot of good things a out this place, but not sure of how effective they are

https://precisiongolfacademy.com/

Thanks Mike, they have an inexpensive 30 minute swing evaluation that would probably tell me if I want to go further with them. I will try them first, I can always try Golftec later. I am going to request they teach me the Mike G cut and putt.

I did a lot of lessons with Golftec. My instructor was awesome and we did a 12 lesson package and then a 20 lesson package. Unfortunately, he left and took a job as a course GM in his home town when I still had half of the 20 lessons left. The other two Golftec instructors and I did not click and I ended up wasting 8 lessons.

Golftec does an awesome job teaching you a "proper" golf swing. But what I found is that at least for me, is that the GolfTec method has diminishing returns after a while. There are just certain things that your body may not be able to do to achieve "optimal" numbers. A good instructor recognizes that and stops trying to force you to achieve perfect numbers and instead focuses on what works best for your swing and your body's ability. My first instructor did that well. The other two were so set on teaching a method and chasing numbers that I was not improving and in fact getting less comfortable with my swing.

The perfect thing is to go in for a swing evaluation and see if you like the instructor. Then decide on a package. Don't commit to anything long term - the smaller packages are best to start out despite costing more/lesson.

I researched GolfTec when I was looking for lessons. From what I gathered their basic approach is to try to get you to swing like a Tour pro. They are very numbers based as well, which I'm not a fan of. I checked out PGATSS and the guy there was really big on playing with a bowed wrist. No thank you. I ended up going with a club pro who improved my ball flight and swing in the first 15 minutes. With all that said, the person is more important than the place. I don't know if GolfTec or PGATSS have their instructors follow a template or what.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

To me, it's not so much where you take the lesson at, but who you take your lessons with! Find an instructor that fits your style and has the same goals as you. I will say that a place that uses video makes it a lot easier to see your swing faults.

I took lessons there 5-6 years ago, and agree with the above that it's all about who you get.

My first instructor was awesome, and had me playing my best golf in a relatively short time. While he was trying to make me swing like a pro, he picked pros who had some of my fatal flaws and worked towards them. I've never gotten back to the level I played that fall.

After he moved away, my next pro was good, but he did as others said and tried to make my swing perfect. I ended up changing my swing dramatically, and I have never played as well since. He was young, and experienced at the time.

I didn't have the best experience with Golftec this spring. In fairness to my coach, my swing was as bad as its ever been--I was smothering everything. And while I showed some improvement, I was actually getting worse on the course. To try and get me to swing more inside to out, my coach was having me take my backswing way inside, which was actually making me come more over the top. I went through the 10 lessons, did not want to buy any more, got suckered into another 10-pack because of a spring discount, but after another atrocious round on the course, I got my second 10-pack refunded.

I've started up with a coach at Golf Galaxy at 1/3 the price, and after 3 lessons, I pretty much have my iron swing back. Still working on the long sticks.

I do think Golftec can, and does, help lots of golfers, including me, but they are quite expensive, so your experience may be dictated entirely by who you get as a coach. And as another poster mentioned, I felt like they were pushing through lessons to get me on a long-term plan. Too rich for my blood at the moment.

Be very careful of Golftec ,they do exactly what you do not need! They attempt to put you in positions during swing,they do not teach,they sell! I should have known better.

I signed up for Golftec lessons a few years ago. My teacher was a nice enough guy but that’s the only positive I can say. From a golf standpoint, I was in a bad place with my swing at the time and he basically got me in to this super strong grip and hitting draws (then hooks) which ended up ruining golf for me for about two seasons until I was finally able to get my grip fixed thanks to about a hundred hours of watching YouTube and reading articles with a club in my hand until I was finally released from strong grip hell. It was so bad I couldn’t even pull the trigger until I crawled my right so far under the club the the toe was practically pointing at my left foot...it was horrible. I can’t fully blame Golftec but all those lessons forcing me to do that surely got the ball rolling and I can’t help but feel like it was just a quick fix to get me hitting some better numbers in to the net.

Comment number two. My credit card expired just before I went on vacation with my wife and friends for a week so my payment got rejected. They called me relentlessly, several times a day while I was on vacation. I told them what happened and that I couldn’t do anything about t because my new credit card was in a pile of mail at home. Didn’t matter, they would just hound me to wire or overnight money, etc. They called 5 times per day...I told them to cancel my lessons and they threatened to take me to collections and all that. I ended up paying in full after I returned home but was pretty furious. My teacher told me he basically hated their corporate and was ready to leave.

Comment three. I injured my back (unrelated) and needed surgery. I needed to pause my lessons for a few months until I was medically cleared to swing again. Even brought a medical note for my file. The teacher told me to my face and put in writing that the lessons would be paused and honored when I was better...wrote it in my online Golftec profile as well and emailed his supervisors. Well about two months later, the Golfsmith store in my town where Golftec was renting space in went out of business and the Golftec was shut down. My old teacher was with someone else at this point and told me he spoke to them about me before they shut down and recommended they refund my money for the un-used lessons. Nope. I fought with them for months, got the run around from a dozen different people...they told me I could finish my lessons at their Charlotte location two hours away. I literally could not believe what I was hearing...they promise to honor my lessons, they shut down their location, and then tell me to go to hell when I ask for a refund for the lessons I paid for and was ready and willing to use, they just pocketed my money. They’re thieves as far as I’m concerned. I’m a small business owner and I can’t wrap my head around taking up from payment for service for someone, not completing the service, and then keeping the money. They told me I could try suing them and I was going to but at the time it was too much trouble to bother with over $600. To this day I regret not going forward. I even complained on the Facebook page about it all several times but they deleted my posts in about a minute each time then I think had me blocked.

Anyways...not a fan.

I signed up for Golftec lessons a few years ago. My teacher was a nice enough guy but that’s the only positive I can say. From a golf standpoint, I was in a bad place with my swing at the time and he basically got me in to this super strong grip and hitting draws (then hooks) which ended up ruining golf for me for about two seasons until I was finally able to get my grip fixed thanks to about a hundred hours of watching YouTube and reading articles with a club in my hand until I was finally released from strong grip hell. It was so bad I couldn’t even pull the trigger until I crawled my right so far under the club the the toe was practically pointing at my left foot...it was horrible. I can’t fully blame Golftec but all those lessons forcing me to do that surely got the ball rolling and I can’t help but feel like it was just a quick fix to get me hitting some better numbers in to the net.

Comment number two. My credit card expired just before I went on vacation with my wife and friends for a week so my payment got rejected. They called me relentlessly, several times a day while I was on vacation. I told them what happened and that I couldn’t do anything about t because my new credit card was in a pile of mail at home. Didn’t matter, they would just hound me to wire or overnight money, etc. They called 5 times per day...I told them to cancel my lessons and they threatened to take me to collections and all that. I ended up paying in full after I returned home but was pretty furious. My teacher told me he basically hated their corporate and was ready to leave.

Comment three. I injured my back (unrelated) and needed surgery. I needed to pause my lessons for a few months until I was medically cleared to swing again. Even brought a medical note for my file. The teacher told me to my face and put in writing that the lessons would be paused and honored when I was better...wrote it in my online Golftec profile as well and emailed his supervisors. Well about two months later, the Golfsmith store in my town where Golftec was renting space in went out of business and the Golftec was shut down. My old teacher was with someone else at this point and told me he spoke to them about me before they shut down and recommended they refund my money for the un-used lessons. Nope. I fought with them for months, got the run around from a dozen different people...they told me I could finish my lessons at their Charlotte location two hours away. I literally could not believe what I was hearing...they promise to honor my lessons, they shut down their location, and then tell me to go to hell when I ask for a refund for the lessons I paid for and was ready and willing to use, they just pocketed my money. They’re thieves as far as I’m concerned. I’m a small business owner and I can’t wrap my head around taking up from payment for service for someone, not completing the service, and then keeping the money. They told me I could try suing them and I was going to but at the time it was too much trouble to bother with over $600. To this day I regret not going forward. I even complained on the Facebook page about it all several times but they deleted my posts in about a minute each time then I think had me blocked.

Anyways...not a fan.
Wish I looked here first,did look internet for reviews and found nothing bad. Guess I will not go far asking for refund on unused lessons? There is a guy named Thomas Slagle (not a pro) who has written several books on Kindle.I have learned more from him than any pro I have ever met. I think he passed away recently. Wish I had read his stuff yeats ago.

GolfTec really comes down to the instructor. My first GolfTec instructor was awesome. But we also got away from the GolfTec system and stopped worrying about the numbers. Then he left to take a GM position at his hometown in IA. The replacement instructor sucked. what made it sting more was that I just signed up for another 20 lesson pack and they would not refund it. So I ended up eating a $2k+ package. Needless to say I won’t recommend GolfTec.

I loved Golftec but my instructor was awesome. He didn’t overly push for “numbers” but really worked with me to develop a consistent swing.
Because these instructors make hardly any money he was forced to leave. I never went back. I gained enough knowledge over the 2 seasons with him to diagnose and continue to work on my own swing.

It’s all about who you get. I’ve had several different pros and this guy was the only one who clicked. I wouldn’t jump into any contract without doing a session or 2 with the instructor first.

I've posted my feelings previously, but having just switched to a new instructor, I even more regret my time with Golftec. I've learned so much about the golf swing over the year, that I am absolutely blown away that my instructor had me intentionally taking the club back on the inside, which exacerbated my problems. In a single lesson with my new instructor, he had me taking it outside my hands (ala Koepka), and BOOM, best ball striking I've had since I hurt my back last year. My Golftec lessons had me so screwed up I nearly quit golf for the year (btw, glad I didn't!!!!!). I do believe it's instructor dependent, but man I wish I had spent that $ on my current guy.

Agree with everyone above - depends on the instructor. I did a package at Golftec when I was very new to the game and really helped my golf game. I went from shooting in the 110s to shooting in the high 80s. I would go do maybe a swing evaluation and feel them out.

I went to Golftec about half a dozen years ago. I experienced the same things that I have read in some of the other posts.
I had a swing evaluation and at that evaluation I told the instructor that all I wanted was help in short game and sand play. I liked the rest of my game. So I bought a package (WAY TOO EXPENSIVE).
I start my lessons and the first thing I’m told is that my grip is wrong and I have to strengthen it. Remember, I wanted help with short game and sand. Then he proceeds to compare my swing to a pro and I have to get into this position and that position and he completely put me back to the dark ages. Half way through my lessons I was so angry I was going to quit the game. WE WERE IN THE SAND ONCE! and only for a portion of that days lesson. AND I HAD 1 LESSON FOR SHORT GAME AROUND THE GREEN!!
Golftec does not give a damn about anything other then your money.
The instructors can be completely brain dead to instruct there because of the teaching template they use.
I was about 48/49 when I went there. I’m a fire fighter and my body doesn’t move like it once did. However Golftec instructors don’t care. Or more likely have no idea how to deal with people that have limitations. They want you to swing like a pro. And that’s it.
As we all know a good instructor will watch you hit balls and make adjustments here and there and work with what you have. If they work with what you have and what your capabilities are and then get you doing those things better and more consistently, you’ll improve.
So like what others have said here....interview the instructor. Make sure he understands what it is that you want to accomplish during your lessons with him or her. Then make sure both of you stick to the game plan.
Personally, I have since joined a fantastic club and now make use of our teaching professionals there. Much better instruction and I also get video review.
Do your research. Universal golf instruction from Golftec doesn’t even make sense when everyone’s swing is different.

My experience was great at GolfTec. Yes, my instructor took me through a process to learn a specific swing, but this is also a swing that is both effective and repeatable. Golf is one of the only sports that I'm aware of in which people use a variety of different techniques to achieve the same ultimate result (rarely do you see a pitcher throwing sidearm in the majors, and never see players shoot a free throw under hand). By and large, many sports adopt what they usually refer to as the specific technique, then teach those who are adopting the sport to make those specific movements.

As you can see above, I'm drinking the GolfTec Kool-Aid, and its been a year since my lessons with them. I'm still attempting to adopt the swing changes into my regular swing, and I'm seeing effective and dramatic results. However, my consistency is way down. As a result, my handicap is as high as its ever been (18.3 currently), but I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Honestly, if you're willing to put in the work, and work well with your instructor, I would definitely recommend it. I took lessons for years from different "PGA Certified" instructors, and never saw nearly the results that I have with GolfTec.

Obviously, you'll see a huge variance in opinion. Take the time to work with the instructor, interview them, and hopefully you'll be able to draw your own conclusion.

My experience with GolfTec was more miss than hit. It got me started well, but my game really didn't develop. It wasn't until I went to a local course and a very recommended pro that my game really started to improve

Great, I have a lesson at Golftec with a teaching pro there - we’ll see how it goes

I know a member at my club who only started golfing about a year ago. He bough a package deal from GolfTec and has only used about half of them so far. He is not the biggest fan and was talking to a buddy who is an assistant pro at another club in town about getting lessons from him. I think a good instructor is one that will take your swing and make some adjustments to help you and not try to completely overhaul your swing.

I have done lessons with GolfTec and with a PGA pro. Both were positive experiences and I never felt like I was being "pushed" into any kind of swing system.
Here is what is most important to remember: In order to make a swing change permanent you must be able to put a lot of time in practicing the change being made or else you will just revert back to your old habits. I've seen a lot of my friends take a lesson and expect immediate improvement without putting in the work. Doesn't happen.

Man, I guess it's a good thing that the Golfsmith near me closed. It's the same one that CM5150 above referenced. It sounds like Golftec is very hit or miss.

I have a free GolfTec Swing Evaluation and I'm definitely going to use it, 60-90 minutes with my clubs and go over the data or whatever.

Now I don't plan on signing up for a lesson plan at all or anything along those lines but I don't mind the evaluation to see what it entails.

Back