Good Lord, Life Knock it Off

Great to hear from you. Keep on keepin' on and get better fast.

I was having a bad round last week in Florida and my wife asked me if I wanted to pack it in and leave the course on hole 12. I thought about it and told her that I know that I cannot play any worse than I have been and if I just keep playing it has to get better. I started playing better right after that and would have broke 90 if not for a tough break on the 18th hole. I think things have to get better for you, just keep playing.

You're living a Japanese proverb, Smiter:

Knocked down seven times, get up eight.

Keep grinding, sir.

You're living a Japanese proverb, Smiter:

Knocked down seven times, get up eight.

Keep grinding, sir.

Close. Very slowly getting up eight, lol. This sucks and I’m bored out of my mind. Trying to balance out the right combo of doing things to help but not overdoing it and having setbacks.

GL Brother.

Hang in there roomie, sounds like you're at least starting to heal up and hopefully you're recovery will go well.

Hang in there roomie, sounds like you're at least starting to heal up and hopefully you're recovery will go well.

Roomie! Howdy man! What a fun time up in Akron and what a shitastic time for me ever since. I’ve got a text in to @PKorf to see if he’s playing Friday and if he will let me ride along with him. That’s my golf for the rest of the year, riding along with those playing and getting out and maybe handing them their putter, lol.

But if gives me something to do whilst I convalesce.

Thanks for dropping a line man!

Close. Very slowly getting up eight, lol. This sucks and I’m bored out of my mind. Trying to balance out the right combo of doing things to help but not overdoing it and having setbacks.
It's not how, it's how many. It can't be easy, and it probably isn't pretty, but it's progress.

Look on the bright side. You're here, and you healed up pretty quick.
Tough on you this hole, next one will be a birdie hole.
Stay together, it'll be better before you get to the 19th. Be strong, we'll root for you.

Last edited:
Roomie! Howdy man! What a fun time up in Akron and what a shitastic time for me ever since. I’ve got a text in to @PKorf to see if he’s playing Friday and if he will let me ride along with him. That’s my golf for the rest of the year, riding along with those playing and getting out and maybe handing them their putter, lol.

But if gives me something to do whilst I convalesce.

Thanks for dropping a line man!
Anytime my friend, I think a form of karma is real and I know you’re a good dude, as bad as life has been you’ll get back in good brother. You invited me to meet up before our event and even bought my dinner, you didn’t have to do either but you are that guy. I appreciated it then and I remember it now, you’re a good guy Nate and I hope that you’ll get on a better roll soon. You do deserve that.

So crazy thought, I’m playing golf tomorrow morning. Ha! It’s not a lie.

I may make it 1 hole. I may make it 3 holes. I may make it 18. I’m playing with dad at his home course. I’m tired of doing nothing. I can manage vertical to vertical swings. Not my normal 180* past that vertical but straight up to straight up.

I’ll make it at minimum 4 holes since dad laughed at me and said I wouldn’t make it 3 holes. He’ll be playing tees that are about 6400 yards and I’ll be playing the most forward at 5400 yards. If I’m beating him bad enough on the front I may move back (prolly not since I doubt I can hit a ball 200).

This’ll be interesting at the least.

I may make it 1 hole. I may make it 3 holes. I may make it 18. I’m playing with dad at his home course. I’m tired of doing nothing. I can manage vertical to vertical swings. Not my normal 180* past that vertical but straight up to straight up.

I’ll make it at minimum 4 holes since dad laughed at me and said I wouldn’t make it 3 holes. He’ll be playing tees that are about 6400 yards and I’ll be playing the most forward at 5400 yards. If I’m beating him bad enough on the front I may move back (prolly not since I doubt I can hit a ball 200).

You’ve come a really long way. I know you’ll be happy to do something but don’t overdo it. Enjoy!

Enjoy and don't tear anything up.

Well, I may have overdone it-will have to see how I feel tomorrow. I did play the entire 18. I almost gave it up after my drive on 17. My backswing and through swing were parallel to the ground, it was actually quite amazing to me how far the ball still went. I was only 2-3 irons behind what I would normally hit. I had no height to my shots though so everything was basically just a punch.

Went out in 54 but came in in 43 including playing the last 6 holes +2. I’ve had worse rounds when I wasn’t injured. I didn’t play by the ROG though so it’s not quite a legit score. I fluffed most of my lies, but otherwise played by the book. I did play the most forward tees (about 5600 yards) but was managing about 200 off the tee when I struck it well. Was hitting 7i in from 150, normally would be PW or 9i depending on wind. No birdies but I had realistic birdie putts on 3-4 holes.

All in all I’m glad I went. I purposely took zero painkillers that way if my body said “nope!” I would listen. It only did once, my drive on 17. I went a little too far and it hurt. I didn’t rebreak anything though so I’ll know tomorrow how good or bad of an idea that was.

Kinda fun playing the up tees, lol. It was dad and I and we picked up 2 singles on the back to make a 4-some for the last 6-7 holes or so. I explained why I was playing the up tees and they were kind of amazed I was out at all. Dad told me he didn’t think I’d make it 3 holes. Made it through 4 and knew I could quit anytime then, lol.

We’ll see tomorrow though as to how wise this was.

Well, I may have overdone it-will have to see how I feel tomorrow. I did play the entire 18. I almost gave it up after my drive on 17. My backswing and through swing were parallel to the ground, it was actually quite amazing to me how far the ball still went. I was only 2-3 irons behind what I would normally hit. I had no height to my shots though so everything was basically just a punch.

Went out in 54 but came in in 43 including playing the last 6 holes +2. I’ve had worse rounds when I wasn’t injured. I didn’t play by the ROG though so it’s not quite a legit score. I fluffed most of my lies, but otherwise played by the book. I did play the most forward tees (about 5600 yards) but was managing about 200 off the tee when I struck it well. Was hitting 7i in from 150, normally would be PW or 9i depending on wind. No birdies but I had realistic birdie putts on 3-4 holes.

All in all I’m glad I went. I purposely took zero painkillers that way if my body said “nope!” I would listen. It only did once, my drive on 17. I went a little too far and it hurt. I didn’t rebreak anything though so I’ll know tomorrow how good or bad of an idea that was.

Kinda fun playing the up tees, lol. It was dad and I and we picked up 2 singles on the back to make a 4-some for the last 6-7 holes or so. I explained why I was playing the up tees and they were kind of amazed I was out at all. Dad told me he didn’t think I’d make it 3 holes. Made it through 4 and knew I could quit anytime then, lol.

We’ll see tomorrow though as to how wise this was.

I'm glad you got out and did something you love. Even if you're hurting some tomorrow, I bet the joy of today will make it worth it.

I'm glad you got out and did something you love. Even if you're hurting some tomorrow, I bet the joy of today will make it worth it.

Yup! I thought I was done for the year. I mostly am but I could get used to this old guy front tee golf thing. Every shots just a punch although I did have enough height to hold greens if I was inside 135 or so. Otherwise punch and let it run was the name of the game:)

Attaway, Smiter! If you went too far, you can always back it off a notch or two.

Way to go on getting out in such a short amount of time, glad to see you are doing better just don't over do it.

Quick update (sorry again Pardner Dan, I sucked at our event) but I haven’t been out again. Still sitting in my convalescence chair. I met a marine friend of mine (Mr Sean has made his acquaintance) Mr Tate, an older gentleman. Took our CCW guns out at his firing range. Now granted he’s pushing 70 and I just turned 41 but from 25 yards rapid fire I hit an 8” round target 8/16 times with mine and he was 2/14. Also take into account mine has real adjustable sights. His are fixed and almost impossible to see, especially in rapid fire mode (I have a Bersa Thunder he has a Ruger LCP). Both designed to be effective at 5ft not 25 yards.

Anyways, it was really cold out and somehow I rebroke my right clavicle. I think my scapula is also broke on that side. When I went in they weren’t concerned with broken bones and only internal bleeding. They gave me a rough idea of what was broken based on one frontal X-ray. They had one quick look? Determined I was about to bleed out, and in I went for surgery. Broken bones were the least of their concern. My steering column crashed in on me and broke damn near everything up front and I’m thinking my right scapula (of something adjacent) too.

But I plan to return to work on 11/05. I may not be physically able but with my job all I have to be in mentally able. I haven’t been in this good of a place mentally in 20 years.

Quick update (sorry again Pardner Dan, I sucked at our event) but I haven’t been out again. Still sitting in my convalescence chair. I met a marine friend of mine (Mr Sean has made his acquaintance) Mr Tate, an older gentleman. Took our CCW guns out at his firing range. Now granted he’s pushing 70 and I just turned 41 but from 25 yards rapid fire I hit an 8” round target 8/16 times with mine and he was 2/14. Also take into account mine has real adjustable sights. His are fixed and almost impossible to see, especially in rapid fire mode (I have a Bersa Thunder he has a Ruger LCP). Both designed to be effective at 5ft not 25 yards.

Anyways, it was really cold out and somehow I rebroke my right clavicle. I think my scapula is also broke on that side. When I went in they weren’t concerned with broken bones and only internal bleeding. They gave me a rough idea of what was broken based on one frontal X-ray. They had one quick look? Determined I was about to bleed out, and in I went for surgery. Broken bones were the least of their concern. My steering column crashed in on me and broke damn near everything up front and I’m thinking my right scapula (of something adjacent) too.

But I plan to return to work on 11/05. I may not be physically able but with my job all I have to be in mentally able. I haven’t been in this good of a place mentally in 20 years.

Quick edit-I did play a bit ago from the very front tees, almost forgot. It wasn’t pretty but by the end I was playing pretty good old guy golf by just punching the ball and letting it roll. Went 54 (lol) front to 43 (respectable) once I learned to use my gifts, lol. Punch, chip and putt. Played the last 6 holes in +2 because I finally figured out how far everything rolled. It’s notewryhy that the front tees were appx 5400 yards, I usually play that course from 7k.

Update time...

Ok I did go back to work on 11/05 as planned. I’d had a “small” setback nine days prior. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to pee. Half asleep I got my feet caught in my sheet I was using and on my hardwood floors I couldn’t get no traction. As (my current) luck would have it, I fell with a hand under my already broken ribs. I was basically paralyzed. I couldn’t move and just laid on the floor half crying and half laughing at the dumb run of bad luck I’ve had since 07/13 of this year.

Anyways it hurt so bad I couldn’t get off the floor. Trust me, I tried hard before I made the phone call to dad at 12:30am. Luckily I could just barely get my foot around the phone cord and pulled my phone to me (chipping the glass in the process-like I said just bad luck). I called my dad and half laughing half sobbing told him “hey, I know this is going to sound funny but I’ve fallen and can’t get up”. Dad asked if I called a squad and I told him no, that’s why I was calling him—-duh, lol.

Long story short, he eventually arrived (good thing I’d left the garage door open) and once I got into a sitting position I was able to get up and get in my chair. He left my walker (wtf, my walker?? I’m freaking 41!) right where I could get to it. I called my doc first thing the next morning. He called in a chest X-ray that I asked to look at with the tech. I knew she couldn’t comment on it as she’s “not qualified” even though she knows what’s normal and what’s not. Turns out my 10th rib (I still haven’t googled how many ribs I have, ha) was displaced and poking my lung.

Now I’d have never even have went to get X-rays since I knew what had happened, I rebroke one or more ribs. I’ve broken a lot of bones in the past so I know what they feel like. Ribs are 4-6 weeks of misery and 12 weeks until you feel 100%. The doc finally called and said there wasn’t any lung puncturing going on even though the rib was now detached (which even I could see on the damn X-ray).

So 10 days after that I went back to work, last Tuesday. It’s been a big struggle. Today was the first day I didn’t feel like I was about dead while heading home. My golf season is definitely over now. Had I not had the additional rib injury I’d be 90% fine now.

I work on average 10 hours a day. Some days I may work 8.5 (never less) but some days (Sunday!) I may work 15. I couldn’t believe this morning. I took nothing, not even OTC for pain. I still to this point haven’t taken anything for pain today. I feel pretty good today for whatever reason. Only time life has sucked today has been when I’ve coughed. I’m 15 days out of detaching a rib and rebreaking another. Maybe I’m just getting used to misery. I couldn’t even punch a club right now, but once I’m healed up in a month or two I’ll start seeing what I have on the sim.

Probably going to have to make some swing changes. The right side injuries worry me. I have a rib there that’s just floating presumably in my fat, no ones really explained it to me other than someone in my docs front office telling my 10th rib was displaced. I’ve broken my left collarbone and jacked up that shoulder (see pic), but the right side injury to my collarbone worries me. I don’t think I’ll have the jelly swing modelled after John Daly anymore. Hell, I may have to change my name to “Weakly Swats at Ball” which might as well been my name this year anyways. Looking back on a couple swing videos, I just had no separation, no extension, and getting through the ball. Everything was right into my body, just a horrible looking swing with nothing behind it. I’ve gotta get the club out there and clear. Just no clearing going on.

Goals for 2020- play reasonable golf. Due to other medical issue I went from a 6 to an official 9.6 but I’ve played like a 15+ all season due to other issues. I just want to stabilize. I hope to be invited to another THP event, but if not I just want a HC that is reflective of my current abilities, whether that be a 6 or a 20. I’d love for 6 to be legit but if I’m now a 20 due to everything, I’m a 20. I can accept that. I knew I was playing like a 15 entering my first THP event but having an official HC of 9.6 I had to play to that. I failed mightily. I won’t go into the illness but it and subsequent meds alone pushed me up 10+.

I’m not making excuses. Just explaining. I only played 2 postable 18 hole rounds this season. Started as a 9.6, which had risen rapidly from 6.2 anyways from late summer 2018, but I wasn’t playing like a 9.6. I damn near missed the ball completely a couple times at the event during an actual round. I picked up on at least one hole, even though outwardly I was having fun, and really I was-how could you not at a THP event? Inwardly I just felt bad for letting my Pardner down.

This is just getting stupid long. I’m back at work. Barely. I’m looking forward to retooling my swing in 2020 and having some really good rounds. I’ll work on the sim here in 6-8 weeks, but with a rib that’s not where it’s supposed to be, I just don’t know what I’ll have. That and my right collarbone is going to be an issue. Those that have seen my swing know I leave nothing on the table. Will I have that or have to shorten it? Dunno. It’s going to be fun as hell to find out though.

Thanks to everyone for their support. I truly appreciate it!

damn, that last update is crazy.

Snow here in Ohio, so you won’t even be tempted to golf for awhile. I’d stay off the sim and just heal up for Spring. Good to hear you’re able to stay off pain meds, those can be addicting. I’m sure if you join the AC club and put in for a few events you may even get into one. Lots of crap happened to you but I do thing you’re on the upside. And, I do enjoy some of your long winded posts in other threads. I’m hoping you can shut this one down soon though. Heck, just do another live update thread and don’t post in it. That was great, lol.

Take the winter to rehab and go slow, no need to have another relapse....good luck.

Snow here in Ohio, so you won’t even be tempted to golf for awhile. I’d stay off the sim and just heal up for Spring. Good to hear you’re able to stay off pain meds, those can be addicting. I’m sure if you join the AC club and put in for a few events you may even get into one. Lots of crap happened to you but I do thing you’re on the upside. And, I do enjoy some of your long winded posts in other threads. I’m hoping you can shut this one down soon though. Heck, just do another live update thread and don’t post in it. That was great, lol.

Haha!
Once I can get through the day without feeling like I’m dying, I’ll close this up. I won’t announce it, lol! That seemed to go over well, even it it wasn’t my intention-hey I flew asleep at the wheel-just like my damn driving, hahaha. Today has been my best day in 9 weeks. And since I still cry due to pain even today, that’s I guess a good thing? I’m not going to hit a Sim until I can handle it full swing wise.

Funny and stupid thing, I have a “Swing Whip”. The day I fell and rebroke ribs I got that thing just whizzing. I had enough of a turn and swing it was sizzling good enough to put a deep gouge (grr!) in my wood floor. It wasn’t my normal 180* swing but it was just enough to get the CHS up. Probably in the 105 region but the sure beats the 80 region I was hitting my solo round since.

What did this fat boy learn? Stop screwing around with sleep and driving. That’s gotta be 1. I can hit the ball a long damn way without overswinging. The couple days leading up to me rebreaking my ribs I played around with a CHS in the 100-105 range. With appropriate shaft, and center contact, those balls still go far.

Keywords: Center Contact. I lol’d when my swing never went past 90* either way and I’d hit it 220. There were times I’d get one into the wind and it wouldn’t go that far, going 120* past that with my swing. Hooray for punches!

Just silly. I can hit it 220 without going past parallel to the ground. It can got much further but this year even though the CHS is fine, there is no distance. None. Watching it and analyzing after the fact, I wasn’t clearing the club.

Misike drop. I’m done!;)

Back