Graphite Design Shafts: How much better are they?

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This thread is to discuss Graphite Design shaft quality. As they can now basically match any launch charecteristic one may want the question is are they really the very best shafts as their price implies?

Are there shaft companies that can’t hit every launch characteristic?

Are there shaft companies that can’t hit every launch characteristic?
No, just seems like they have expensive buzz.

I like the GD shafts I’ve used and owned in the past but no, that price doesn’t mean they are the best or somehow better quality. That’s my two cents.

If they fit someone best, then they’re better for them.

Fit is king.

Currently have the DI Utility Iron shaft and an IZ 8s in my 5 wood and I love the feel of them. However, I bought these blind which I don't recommend.

I was fit at PXG today into the GA AD TP and it was really good. Much better FOR ME versus the Ventus Blue. I am a huge fan of GD shafts as they perform as advertised.

It's a shaft that I played many rounds of golf with as a driver shaft. Went back to it several times after trying others. Very stable.
Picked up a second one used for a fw wood application.
Now, they are too-stiff tomato stakes. :LOL:

Most "expensive" shafts I've been fortunate enough to play seem to be very stable, maybe flex in ways that lesser materials cannot, so the feel changes in that respect, and I think that stability is reflected there as well. The prepeg material is all different, so they kind of have their own feel there. Add kevlar or whatever space age stuff they are using at present. And they can offer more profiles the more materials they use. The expense just goes up. The tour protos we probably never see them, even though the $300 retail ones are pretty darn nice. But I suppose small batches are released now if you want tour protos at whatever insane-o price they are. :cool:

Last edited:
GD is AWESOME!!!
I like Tour AD-VR 7x
Worth every cent

Last edited:
I play the Graphite Design Tour AD DI in both my 3W and 5W, and have previously played the Tour AD TP in driver. All felt very good and delivered performance that I’d expect.

I’ve since moved a Project X EvenFlow Riptide in driver and feel that they are similar in a lot of ways. I also think the Riptide matches up quite well with the AD DI, and it would play fantastically in a fairway wood.

I’ll also be moving to an ACCRA TZ-6 in my 3W and am curious to see how that compares... but that will likely have to wait for next season.

I played a BB6S in my M4 3 wood and it was an incredible combination. I am by no means a big hitter but my average distance was about 275 with the combo compared to about 260 now (Hzrdus Smoke in a TS2). Had a few 300 yards hits with it. I sold it a year ago and deeply regret. My advice would be to buy them pre owned though. That’s what I’ve done for mine.

Are they the best? Yes they are. For me.

My driver builds over the years have been high launch shafts...this has been a 'endless' search to reduce dispersion (hooks/pushes)
Graphite Design VR is my best high launch shaft I have found. Its mid section kicks 'just enough' to get my desired LA (13-14+).
If you like a low/mid shaft for 'control'...you will have it with the VR. My Traj Mid/High, flat, low spin, penetrating, arching & some roll!
The 70g VR's paired with a head weight of 196g or less, one can build a 46in bomber in 76g shaft weight.
This is were builds are going...sub 195g heads...46-47in shafts. The weight saving head technology is here...pair it with longer lengths =BOMBS...'Big' BOMBS!

Last edited:
Back